Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Newbie set collector

hey guys, I just started my collection for 50 greatest basketball players registry set (I am the last one on the ranking, but moving up soon!). And I have been on a spending spree of late, spending over $2000 in one month.

Now I finially recognize that my bank account is $2000 less, I think I will slow down my buying spree. As I know, you guys know the feeling when a rare card of exceptionally high grade comes up on ebay, you will say to yourself "if I miss it this time, who knows how long I will have to wait for one like that to come about" ... the next thing you know you are the winning bidder. I am just curious how you guys are managing the pace of your collection, how aggressive? advices are well-appreciated ... btw ... I am still in college doing my master degree, so you know my need to slow down my spending
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21

Comments

• One word PATIENCE!!!!!!! I went on a major spending spree when I first got started on the registry. I thought I needed to race up the set rankings but soon realized one thing, I can't afford to do that! I pace myself now, look for deals, and pass up many cards that I would like to buy but can't. I now go for quality and "try" not to pay ridiculus prices like I did at first. Quality not quantity! In time you will complete your set(s) and it will be a big accomplishment even if you didn't do it in one year.

Mike
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    austinchau,

Metalmike is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! Patience is the key word. And you shouldn't feel bad - I would bet that 95% of everyone on this board did the exact same thing when they started!

Do your research... Pick your set or sets and then check out the "Completed Auctions" on eBay to see what kind of prices the cards you need are going for. When you see the high, low and average prices that they sell for - choose the price that you'd feel comfortable paying! Then be dilligent about watching the auctions. Bid your price (and you can vary it a little if the card is better or nicer than average) and eventually you'll win it! And if you lose it 5 or 6 times and you find your bid isn't even the 2nd high bidder - its probably time to re-evaluate the amount that you bidding in order to win it.

Good luck!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your set and your master's degree.

aconte