Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WESPNEX SHOW COMMENTS PLEASE

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
I would really love to hear the comment on the recent WESPNEX show that was held at the County Center in White Plains....in my eyes this show has the potential to be one of the largest in the North yet for some reason it misses the mark (no pun intended on the show owner Mark Simon) anyway folks let me know whats right or wrong.....
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I've been going to WESPNEX for just over two years now and I like it. It has different dealers and usually nicer material than the Parsippany, NJ show I go to every month. (I posted a show report last Saturday.)

For me, the show represents an intermediate step between Parsippany (a big local show) and Baltimore.

I think the show attracts a nice mix of dealers. I'd like to see more, of course.

I guess from your point of view, you'd like to see more of the public. How's the traffic on Sunday? I thought the traffic this past Saturday was pretty light, but I heard that Friday was heavier than expected.

Parsippany is busy on Sunday (it's a one-day show), but all of the dealers are pretty local and don't have to leave early for the airport.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    I went to the show for the first time last week. While I thought it was a decent show, I felt there was a lack of high-end dealers there. One reason may be due to security concerns. I was warned by a dealer prior to going to the show about the lack of security, that several dealers and buyers have been robbed leaving the show in the past. I also heard a few dealers that were at the show voice their concern over this same issue. I did not think too much of it untill I had a VERY scary situation arise. It was a close call as I was leaving the show, but in the end nothing bad happened, however, it was enough for me to think twice about going to the show again
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think Mark should experiment with trying to make the show a free show to attend. I suspect attendance would double but will there be enough parking in that case?

The January show is much smaller than the fall show, true.

I suggest that a schedule be advertised a year in advance and shown repeatedly.

The setup is clearly not as nice as Baltimore as hotels are not within walking distance from the Westchester County Center. That is a big weakness preventing this show from growing any further.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth...ranking of the top ten best shows security in the US show that the WESPNEX show was #9 for security....they have several undercover NY city police walking the show during the day as well as overnight security plus regualar security.... I believe that the show may go no charge in the fall....thanks for the comments...looking for more and more comments
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem is that there are no big hotels in walking distance. This is a hassle for anyone flying to the show, so for the most part the show only attracts people from the region. The result is that it makes it impossible to attract a major auction, and that seals the show's fate: a great local show, but that's it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're a local, most wouldn't realize that that show is really easy to get to by MetroNorth Rail. There are express trains running from Grand Central Station at fairly convenient times, and the local isn't much slower. The convention center is within an easy walk from the train station.

One can easily fly into Newark Airport and stay at a cheap hotel *near* NYC and commute into Grand Central like millions of other people who do that on a daily basis.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file