Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry Change - Your Set Over 100% Complete!

I was emailing Frank Bakka about the variation cards in the 1972 Topps Baseball Set.

As many know, this card has four variation cards. #'s 18, 29, 45 and 117. You either have a green under letters or yellow under letters.

I believe Frank said that the green has a higher weight to them.

Anyways, many sets have variations.

I think that Frank said that PSA solved this by having a basic set and then a master set to address the variations.

How about petitioning PSA to not do this and just have one set. The primary cards would add up to 100% and then if you add variation cards, your percentage would go up over 100% if you choose to change the harder cards?

This would work for such sets as the 1969 Topps variation, 1981 Fleer variation, etc.

Just a thought.
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• Options
    Dale,

I can tell you from the experience with the 69' set that this is a gigantic can of worms. Everyone has an opinion on this and they vary all over the map.
    If you stir up the dust be prepared to sweep the floor for quite some time afterward. Heck though...thats the fun of it anyhoot!
    Can't wait to see how this post pans out.
    Warm regards

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Ray,

Yeah, Dale and I emailed back and forth a little on this. To be honest I believe that the 72 set is different than the 69 set because there are only 7 minor variations (the 4 - 1st series Cubs and 3 checklist variations) versus the 30 something in the 69 set. I don't believe that a 72 Basic Set versus Master Set is really warranted.

Plus, there is also a bit of a quagmire in that PSA has more "Yellow Under Letters" cards sitting inside "Green Under Letters" slabs than I'd care to go into. I sent my 4 in on a "mechanical error" invoice and got them fixed. But, that should give you an idea when all 4 of the Yellow Letters in my set were all wrong at the same time. Neil is the guy we need to get on this thread. He's probably the most knowledgeable of the 72 variations than anybody. I find myself emailing him and asking "so whats the difference again on the 6th Series Checklist?".

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    We face a similar registry problem with 1971 Kellogg's baseball. A master set is probably in order because of the distinct variations. Making it "Over 100 %" seems like a good idea to me.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the plug Frank. I am one of those chosen few that believes that I need all of the variations to be complete. Like 787 cards is not enough. I don't mean to question my good friend Frank Bakka on his variations count, but I am only aware of six cards that fit this description. If there is another one, please let me know so I can go nuts trying to get that one too. We are all aware of the four Cubs cards that have "green under the letters". They are #18 Juan Pizarro, #29 Bill Bonham, #45 Glenn Beckert and #117 Cleo James. The other two are a bit less known to most collectors and even to some of my fellow 1972 Topps collectors. They are checklist #3 card #251. This card appeared in two different versions. The first release was in a small print or "SP" version. This version is the more rare of the two. All of the checklists have the names of the players in a format that takes up all of the available space. In the "SP" version, the names are in a format that is smaller and takes up less space then is available. The second or corrected version was fixed and is much more common. The second is Checklist #6 card #604. For this card, the variation surrounds the placement of the copyright on the back of the card. In this case the first version had the copyright on the right hand side of the card back. This version is the more rare of the two. The second or corrected version has the copyright on the left. This version is the more common version. I hope that this information helps those who are interested. Neil