Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint sealed flat pack proof sets

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have decided to open most of my mint sealed 1960 - 1964( down Russ) proof sets. In search of cameo,
high grade coins and AH Kennedys. Are there any tricks to opening these without tearing the sealed envelope flap? I don't want to slice them at the top.

Paul

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You could steam them open like most of the sealed proof sets on eBay have been.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    Russ you've probably looked through every 64 proof set before it ever reached Ebay!image
    Just Kidden' image

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
  • Options
    Why worry about it, you can buy the envelopes on Ebay as well.image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think its kind of funny. Those sets were never sealed by the mint. I think some e-bayers find sets that haven't been sealed and seal 'em up, so they can say there are sealed. I have no proof it is simply my opinion.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    oopsimage.
    None of these proof sets were purchased on ebay. I've had them for years. I have not found any cameos in the 30 sets that I have opened so far. Some dealers had a system for checking orginal mint sealed Cases of proof sets for cameo coins with out opening every set. They opened every fourth set or so. Some of the sealed mint proof sets come from these cherry picked proof set cases.

Paul
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those sets were never sealed by the mint. >>

Some were, some weren't. No way to know which is which buying them today, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Sure are a lot of negative cynics on this Forum!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Send them all to Russ, he will be happy to open them for you...................If he gets to keep

the AH coins and a few deep cameos.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file