Home PSA Set Registry Forum

It Figures. The Irony of this.

Hi Everyone,

A very funny story. I bought a set recently on Ebay for my wife. It was a 1935 Gallaher Stars of the Screen and Stage set of 48 cards. There were about 6 or 7 cards already graded as 1-7, 1-9 and the rest 8's. The set has Laurel and Hardy, Ginger Rogers and most of the others I would have no clue about. I figured it was a nice gift for her because she has always supported me in spending thousands of dollars (even though it's my own money) on my cards and sets. It had a $175.00 opening bid and $350.00 buy it now. I waited until the auction end and won it for the opening bid (I probably paid way over what they were worth, but what the hell. I have paid thousands for just a common in my set/s). Anyway, the set comes and after looking at it, I thought the cards were amazing. My eyes are good and I though they were all 8's and 9's. I told my wife, I would send in the rest of the set to PSA and have it all graded and she can have a 100% graded set and I would put it up on the registry for her. She loves to watch all of these old movies and I like them too because after about 5 minutes of watching them, they put me to sleep.

I sent them in on PSA's non sports card $5 per card submission. I also looked into a nice Penzoni display case to put the whole PSA set in. Well, they came back about a month later. Boy did they come back. PSA Submission. I was shocked at these grades. I have said in the past that a card was a 9 and 95% of the time, it's an 8.

The wife was amazed. It was kind of cool watching her expressions while staring at this set. It reminded me of myself when I buy a PSA 9 card for one of my sets. I finally listed it on the registry and of course, it is the only set graded (for now) so of course it's #1. The funny thing is I do not think I have ever seen a set that grades the highest possible set rating. Ever !!

I scanned all of the cards and put them in for everyone to enjoy. Here's the link if you are interested.

A Set For My Wife 1935 Gallaher

Now the irony. I have been working on my 52 Bowman set and my other sets for almost 15 years. I have never seen this happen, yet happen to me (actually my wife). I tell her beginners luck. You know what she told me. The Wife Always Wins. I do not know if this has ever happened to any of you.
I know this is probably my longest post, but I though a very funny story to share with everyone here.

Have a great weekend and thanks for reading this post.

Mike

Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.

Comments

• Hey nice scans. Those are really cool cards.

Yes, always tell the wife you're doing it all for her image.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    oh,your good man......very good.
    the perfect part (which you obviously planned) is that she can't get too crazed on upgrading.
    she'll want to go to shows now, but.......leave you to yourself while she goes off to the non-sports world.
    yep......the perfect caper (opps,i mean gift)
  • WAY COOLimage
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Mike - thanks for the great story, and the great pics.

Mmmmm ... Enid Stamp-Tayor ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Super set! Thanks for spending time on the pics. I especially liked Coop and Colin Clive [the original Dr. Frankenstein: "It's Alive!"].
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Frank/Guys,

Some of you are starting to show your age. It's cool, the next show in Ft. Washington, she actually wants to come. It became a win-win situation. As long as she doesn't tell me she wants to start a 33 Goudey set or something like that. My favorite cards are #6 and the Houston Sisters (who ever they are).

Thanks,
    Mike

• MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Frank/Guys,

Some of you are starting to show your age.

Actually my Grandfather told me about those stars.image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Hi Frank,

Well, it said senior member so you know .... image

Mike
  • Mike,
    Very neat set! Pennzoni it for sure!
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Very cool set! Gettin the wife into it... that's one I'll have to work on.... image

Congrats!
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Thats Great Mike!

My wife came to the last Fort Washington show and she checked out case after case until she finally announced - "I like this set - you should build it!". I quickly said "OK!!!" and then she got suspicious with my response and the dealer starting to chuckle. It was only after she asked the dealer what the set was that she found out how much a 52 Topps set might run!

Always fun to get the family involved!!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Nice set mrichards!

I took my wife to the Ft. Wash show a few years ago and she saw cards from the movie "Grease"
    She told me that I should go after that set. She also said I walked to fast. I had to watch
    when I reached into the pockets for cash too. Anyhow she is banned from going to that show with
    me forever! I'm debating about taking her to A.C. since it would be the first National for both
    of us. Otherwise it's just mall shows for her!

aconte

• dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Great story and fun replies! This is what collecting is all about. Sometimes the stories are as fascinating as the cards themselves.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    When I met my wife we discovered on our first date that we both loved to collect cards. One time on a nine hour drive to Boston she decided that I would make a list of the top 25 sportscards I wanted to realistically own. It was her idea to put together the first ever hockey set (C56) and try to do it in Near Mint grade or better. She is not always happy when I buy a C56 in PSA 5 or 6 condition figuring it is too low of a grade. The nice thing is we can go to a big show and she can wander on her own for the whole day.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Great stories everyone. I enjoy reading this kind of stuff.

Mike, as far as the highest possible set rating, check out the POP report: You have the only card graded for 45 out of the 48 cards. The other 3 you have the highest (in case you're interested: #9 Laurel & Hardy - 1-5, 2-8s and a 7 with a brown back, #24 Gary Cooper - 2-7s and 2-8s, and #33 Ronald Colman - 1-7 and 1-9). Now your wife has a goal: to complete the master set in the highest grade possible by obtaining the brown back Laurel & Hardy. I hope this doesn't get you in trouble. image

JEB.
  • Thanks Jeb/Guys,

I'd rather have my wife play around with this stuff. When she looks at T206's and 1933 Goudeys and saus she wants to do that, it's time to get a 2nd and 3rd job or find a rich mistress. I will look for upgrades at the Ft. Washington show this month. Any of you guys going???

Mike
  • MRichards - congratulations, your set just made the PSA Set Registry Spotlight in this week's PSA Insider Report.

This should win big points with the wife image.

Linkification
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>she has always supported me in spending thousands of dollars (even though it's my own money) >>

MIKE - I know you believe its your money, but does she?image Neat set! ...jay
  • Hi Guys,

Wow. Now I am shocked. I would have thought my name would have been mentioned in last month's SMR because of what I have put into my 52 Bowman set. Maybe even a picture of one of my 10's. I build a set for the boss and what happens, PSA puts in up in lights.

Actually, I am honored. My wife just saw it and smiled. It figures, even PSA is scared of her. image

I hope this helps all of you to get your wives started in this. At least it will keep her off you back from spending your money (correction by Jay), her money. See you guys in Ft. Washington at the end of the month. The wife is coming too.

Thanks,
    Mike