Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What’s the quickest/most drastic price change in numismatics that you can remember?

Here’s a question for those who have been collecting for a while...

Usually, prices of coins move up slowly. If I remember correctly, there’s a rule of thumb that it takes ten years to make a profit in rare coins. What is the fastest and most dramatic price change that you’ve seen in the coin market (either up or down)? What caused it?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    CC morgans after the GSA hoard comes to mind.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices for many coins often appear to make huge adjustments nearly overnight.
    This is especially true for modern coins such as the '50-D nickel which lost 80%
    of it's value in '65, or the 1969 Australian 20P which increased in catalog value
    about 20 fold in one edition. This also applies to many US moderns today. These
    have been increasingly in demand and becoming harder to find for many years.
    Only recently have the catalog prices been catching up with the real world. Prices
    haven't really increased many fold in the last several months but prices are more
    accurately reflecting the market.

What would one of the modern high flyers have sold for five years ago? Most would
    have been very tough sells even at nominal prices.

Most coin and other collectible prices will tend to act this way due to massive shifts
    in demand or occasionally in supply. Prices will typically push higher over a long
    time period only when there is a continuing increase in demand. It is likely that such
    a situation will develope in many coin series in the future if newbies get "hooked" and
    continue to collect and study coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buffalo comm dollar.
    Larry

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    1933 Saint after the US Gov't made a deal.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I remember the Statue of Liberty gold $5 commem was way up there at one time, but I don't know how fast it dropped.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    the year 99 proof set went from 45.00 to 150.00 back to 50.00 in less than a year.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    In 1962 the 1903-o Morgan was considered a major rarity, on the par with the 1893-s. At the time mint states were selling for $1500 and up, quite a bit at the time. Then the treasury released several bags and the price dropped overnight to less than $100. But not before some unlucky dealers got scammed by fast sellers.
    Got Morgan?
  • Options
    Central States show in Lincoln Nebraska - 1980.
    On Saturday coins were trading at around half of what they were on Thursday. It was quite a time!

• Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    1989-1992 Common date MS65 morgan dollars and walkers. They were so expensive in 1989, 1990. Then the investors left and the populations went up. I was still in high school and couldn't buy them. I just bought nice circulated collectors coins like buffaloes then. I'm glad I was a poor kid then and couldn't buy those MS65 coinsimage
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Since I have a very short attention span, the latest jump in the Greysheet price of the 1879-CC capped die in MS65 was pretty impressive:

January 17, 2003: $17,000.00
    January 24, 2003: $33,000.00

GSAGUY

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earlier this past year the 1926-s Buffalo in AU-50 went from a cdn bid of 1200 to 2100 in three months.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    1982ish. The Hunt (I think) brothers were trying to corner the market in silver. Silver moved up in price swiftly, but when they were caught by the government, silver dropped like a rock.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yesterday, when my 66 came back 65
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file