Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone going to Cleveland show next weekend?

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
I might try to on Friday. I really don't care much for the way they pack the dealers and browsers into that small room. I also think $4 admission is a bit much.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to be there on Friday if it's a snow-free drive.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there on friday, saturday, and sunday.
    I'll have two tables there and hope all of you spend ALL your money with us.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    don't you agree that they should expand it to a larger room or at least an additional room?

whats your opinion on the admission? (not that 4.00 is going to break me)
  • Options
    It will be my first time so I don't know the room. But it can't be any more crowded than the show in Richfield was a while ago.

I'd prefer it to be free, of course, but I'm OK with $4. I bet Pat paid a little more than that for admission, though. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    How many tables/dealers are normally at this show? I MIGHT attend.............guess you could say a definite maybe.image

GSAGUY
  • Options
    They say 100 tables. I thought I saw it advertised as 200 somewhere recently.

I attended the last show and bumped into and continually got bumped into other people.

I am betting that if I have to pay $4 to get in that the dealers are paying quite a bit also and should be given adequate spacing.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think it`s penny-wise and pound-foolish to charge ANYTHING to get into a coin show.The die-hard collectors, vest-pocket dealers, and full time dealers would come no matter what.It is the casual collector,newbies,and general public(with their various and sometimes valuable hoards...the ones I think dealers would most like to come to a show!) that will be discouraged that they would charge them to come in to spend their money, or sell their stuff to dealers that are making money off the stuff.

The dealers should be 'paying the cost'of running a show.If the promoters are scraping to get by,then they should charge an earlybird fee for serious collectors and dealers who wouldn`t mind paying a fee(myself included) to get a shot at the "good stuff" at the start of a show.

Yes, it is too crowded at this show, but it would be a bad idea to split the bourse area into 2 rooms. Ask any dealer who gets stuck in the small room at Detroit.
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    I know Ron Nelson, the auctioneer. He's a pretty good guy. He used to own a string of photography shops that were in many of the Cleveland malls. Doesn't look like there is much that interests me in that auction.
  • Options
    Hey Guys, I'll be set up at Strongsville and i believe Clevegreg will be joining me @ the table.
    Hope to see you all there. image
    Yes it IS Pricey for a table at the Nelson/Bowen Shows, although they seem to draw pretty good crowds.
    Ritchfield was a bit cramped for the Bourse fee paid!
    I'll make all of you an offer, spend $100 @ my table and i'll pay your admission.

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind paying for admission as long as it was taken off a coin that I puchased. Or at least some of it.
    I used to do antique shows and I did twice the business with the no admission shows as I did with those that charged. (Antique shows had a lot of inpulse sales)
    But with coins I'm not sure what would be best. Anyone coming to a coin show probably has an interest in coins, so you want them to be able to buy with out any restrictions. But at the same time if you charge it would keep out those that could be problems.
    I think the best would be a admission charge with refund on any purchase by showing a receipt on leaving.

ADDED:
    Our local show has free admission, but sell raffle tickets for drawings on some coins. Which most people do to help support the show.

Dan
    <>< ~~~
  • Options
    I will be there working a table with Dave (Quarterjack).

The room at the Strongsville Holiday Inn is much larger than the Richfield location, and works alot better for a show. Stop by and see us, I think we even may have one or two coins that are PQ for the grade imageimage

Greg
  • Options
    Anyone else going tomorrow (Friday)?

• Options
    I will be there Friday and early Saturday with my wife. I will be wearing a black OSU Buckeye cap. Look for the old folks...lol.
    Gary
  • Options
    I can't go guys! I didn't know it but I have to stay here and watch the kids tomorrow.

I'll catch up with some of you in baltimore in march. She can't make me stay here in Ohio and babysit if I'm not in OHio!!!
  • Options
    Will be there Friday and Saturday morning.

Todd
    Todd Abbey
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...........OK, heres the deal. me and kranky are trying to meet up prior to the show, around 12:15 in the lobby of the hotel and get lunch or something. anyone who may want to join in is more than welcome. i'll be wearing a green "Pikie Bay" baseball hat and be accompanied by my shorter and bald father. i'm also going to take my girlfriends cell phone so if you'd like to get in contact like that give me a PM for my number. we all need to go welcome clevegreg to the other side of the table!!!!!! image

to the admission fee------it does seem rather greedy for the promoters to make money off both sides of the table. i personally know several dealers and collectors who won't attend any of Mr. Nelson's shows, though i have a hunch that some of the resentment stems from a counterfiet gold deal that took place some 10-15 years ago. i just like attending shows, meeting and talking to like minded collectors, watching the dealers practice their craft and getting out in public, especially in mid-winter. there's the added bonus of meeting "the faces behind the icons" and maybe even picking up some nice coins.

oh yeah, i'll also be bringing "Anna Morgan" along with me!!!!!! image she hasn't been out for awhile. as greg and knanky said, she looks pretty good for a 65!!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets, Did you say YOU were buying lunch?? image HA, just kidding!image

Dave
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey dave

that depends on how crowded the table is!!!! my hope is that once i pay my admission fee and enter the show i don't get taken to lunch!!!imageimage

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets, Been There myself! image Probably everyone on this board has been at one time or another.
    Try to keep the expensive lessons to a minimum! image

Dave
  • Options
    I`ll be there Friday at least,with PTVETTER`s table as my "hideout"! Please bring your undergraded and more importantly,UNDERPRICED stuff to Pat`s table for the BEST price!image

Don`t be afraid to spend $$$ with PTVETTER also, as He no longer deals in AKKUGRADE holdered coins!image
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file