Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Would you do it all over again?

I asked myself a question last night. If I had to, would I do it all over again. I am currently at over 97% completion on the monster 1972 Topps set (787 cards). I have a goal of completing by the National in Atlantic city later this year. Except for Dale Wedge, I don't know of anyone that has actually started the same set all over again after letting go of the first set. Perhaps this question should be directed at only Dale but I thought that others would like to sound off on this topic. My personally, I would do it all over again. I feel that I have gained much more than just a psa graded set. I have gained that feeling of sticking with something for what will be almost 3 years and saw it through. I have also gained more dear collecting friends over ebay and psa then I have in my personal life. I have been blessed much more than any small pieces of cardboard could ever have done in a non-collector's life. These psa graded cards are much more than just cardboard encased in plastic. They are the bricks that I have built a richer life, Neil

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Were I ever to sell my 1955 Bowman set -- there is no way I would ever attempt such a monster in such high-grade ever again.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    These psa graded cards are much more than just cardboard encased in plastic. They are the bricks that I have built a richer life, Neil

Well said Neil.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Neil,

Fantastic post! I agree. I think the hunt is more fun owning the set. Furthermore, I have met some incredible collectors the past few years: Jim Merrill, Ron Ritt, Ron Sanders, Bob Cacamese, Steve Peckovich, Mike Castaldi, Alan Cowart, Wayne Ellis, Frank Smith, Erik Jarvi, Mike Bow and there are dozens more.

I've never completed a set and then sold it and started over, but I have taken a few major steps backward on a few projects for various reasons but looking back on those times, it was the right thing to do and I have no regrets. I really enjoy shows too. I used to make 6 or 8 major shows a year and cut that down to 3 or 4 when my son was born. Chatting with dealers is always a great experience too.

I hope we can chat at the National. I'm a '72 collector also, but its 4th or 5th on my priority list, so it will be a few years before I'm done with mine. Again, great post!
  • Options
    Hi Neil/Guys,

Great post. If I ever sold my 52 Bowman set, I would not attempt it again because I can never find the 9"s and 10's. The great thing about owning a Pop 1 of 1 is you are the only person who has the card. The bad thing (if you decide to sell), you will never be able to find them again. The older the set is the harder is becomes. I do not think I will ever sell (I hope not). I told my wife, when I die to bury me with them. She said, she will call Charlie Merkel 1st. Yikes !!! I have to stop telling the wife about this stuff.

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    I had to quit the first set that I attempted because of some health issues with my wife. Thank goodness things have gone well.

I don't remember how high I got the first time around with the 72 set. 70% plus seems to stick in my mind.

I do know that when I did it the first time there weren't 70 plus people on the registry. I think I was either 6 or 7 on the registry and trying to get the Fab Five to change it. I don't remember if it was Frank Bakka or someone else, but I think that the name the Sensational Six was being used.

It's a matter of being recognized by the best either at the top of the registry or all of those that are trading, emailing, and assisting in the 72'ers that make it something special.

I just had to do it. I had to go for the chase. And yes, it is the chase that makes it exciting. And you know, if something else comes up in my life that causes me to sell this current set, I'll do it again in a couple of years.

I'm rambling, but I missed coming home at night to see if my cards were updated, to search ebay and other dealer sites for deals on cards.

But foremost, I missed the people on the Set Registry Board. Your all listed there and know who you are. You've helped me, you've traded with me, you've steered me in the right direction when I have had questions.

I'm going to complete the 72 Set this time and keep it.

It's something that I want to enjoy and pass it on to the kids.

Whats after that. I love the 81 Fleer Set and the 61 Topps Set (Baseball). Perhaps that is where I will go next.

Dale
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
    1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
    1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
    Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
    #15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
    #23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
  • Options
    I enjoyed that post.

I guess my thoughts go to how I value my time spent collecting these little pieces of cardboard with pictures on it, and I think we can all agree that as 'collectors' rational thought probably doesn't completely apply. I mean, how many people have looked at us like we are completely nuts.

But, I would like to go to a quote that was said by Kevin Smith, the director of movies like 'Clerks', 'Chasing Amy', and Dogma, when he was conducting an online chat on a comic book site and was asked if there was any advice he had for anyone out there who might be paying attention.

He said, "I would like to especially point out to everyone the many joys of being outdoors and sex, since nobody reading this is probably getting nearly enough of either."

Just thought someone else would find that as funny as I did.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Neil,

I'd probably be "game" to try it again - but I'm betting that my wife would give me an
    emphatic - "NO WAY!!!".

Just remembering the many evenings that I've received "the look" while packing up auctions in order to raise more money to dump back in the 72 set. All the times that I was forewarned that my in-laws were coming over for dinner in 2 nights and that we needed to reclaim the dining room back from the cards before then.

Its been fun, but I don't think that I'd start again from scratch.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Neil,

Bittersweet post really. I get a real empty feeling just at the thought of not having my 69' set. I cant imagine ever selling it. I'm just past the 80% mark but feel I have so much longer to go. In a way I'm in no hurry. I always anticipate that I would like to upgrade and keep up the thrill of the hunt.

Aside from family and friends, my 69's are a part of my fabric; the making of which card by card has brought me similar joys, similar good friends, and years of fun and collector interaction here on the registry boards. I feel I know you all intimately...sort of the way I know my cards.

I live for today so I am not much good with the "what if's". But it is a poignant question to contemplate. I've enjoyed reading the posts as usual and this type of post is what makes the collecting community unique. They really care about their hobby. Thanks all and thanks Neil.

RayB69Topps

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    2 different breeds - much like life. . .the fisherman enjoys the experience of the search while another man prefers to go to the supermarket, buy the fish and skip the search. It's all about your way of life.
  • Options
    Really a great post.... I would have to agree that I have enjoyed the registry board over the last year... and Neil I thought had some great insights into set building and collecting.Would I build a set again ? Probably but I don not have the nerve to build a 600-700 card set so it is not as difficult for me....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Quite a sentimental post we have goin here... good to see and read.

The 1950 Bowman set was awesome to complete... though I probably wouldn't go and do it over again, I have started the 'downgrading' process. Since I completed it (about 30% PSA graded, mostly 7 and 8s) back in 1999, the PSA set registry has taken off. Recently, I was able to sell a bunch of them (the last 8 would be my Williams which will come up in Superior's March auction) at a nice profit, which has helped me save for a down payment on a house.

With the void in PSA cards in the set, I'm now able to jump back in and start 'collecting' them again... a pretty cool feeling.

I know they're just pieces of cardboard, but it's fun. And I love learning about baseball history and talking shop with people on this board.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Rebuild the same set(s) I sold -- probably not. Build different ones -- sure.
  • Options
    These last 2 and a half years building my '56 baseball set have been some of the most enjoyable times of my life. But having built mostly from raw, and most of those raw being from my childhood collection, I would not consider building this set again.

Niel, you are right on in every aspect of your post, the only thing you left out is the fact that collecting cards, and especially sets, transports us back to the days of our wonderful youth....where the only cares you had were, "When the heck is Topps coming out with the new series", or "Oh boy a dollar from grandma...20 packs!", or "Hey, don't break that coke bottle, that's another 2 cents," and, "That is too a topsies", and "Got'em, got'em, need'em, got'em."

And isn't it more fun checking for the submission results than checking for stock market results?

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options

Not me. The hobby has made climatic (not climaxic) shifts that would deter me from ever doing this again. When I re-discovered the collecting bug in 1990, I had my childhood collection to start with. It was fun trading my common dups 2-for-1 or 3-for-2. I'll never forget having six 2nd year Seavers and four Mays cards from that same year. Some dealers even paid me cash, which I thought was cool.

After completing sets without too much outlay of cash, I began (a) upgrading and (b) venturing backward in time to earlier sets. Buying them right ($$) again made it easily justifiable on the wallet.

The grading frenzy began for me at the 2000 National. Grading itself has its pros and cons, the latter of which continue to negatively surprise us from time to time. Then to watch the supply of raw cards dry up on the show circuit in just the last few months tells me it will be too difficult, too time-consuming and too costly to ever try this again. I'm just hoping to finish out what I've started before the window closes.

It's fairly discouraging to find that certain cards may not exist in sufficient quantities of gradable form. I can think of '59 #11-Billy Hunter, #572-Pierce All-Star; '63 any first series print snow defects and 4th series period; '65 #22-Charlie Smith, #109-Walt Bond.

Oh, well, it'll be over soon enough.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    toppsgun,

I enjoyed reading your post. It was definitely food for thought...

aconte
  • Options
    Interested in 1955 bowman baseball psa 7 and better!
  • Options

Neil,

Great Post!!

I have just recently caught this dam_ set registry disease.I am afraid that I will be hooked for a lifetime along with the rest of these losers that frequent the boards. I am looking forward to meeting as many of these guys at the national as I can.I cannot seem to go a day without reading these boards and they( the guys) here seem to brighten my day every day.I can always come here for a laugh and seem to learn something new every day. I have not completed a set yet but think that I would do it all over again.That however, is subject to change( probably when I get my set around 90 % and start pulling my hair out chasing those elusive last few cards).I am trying to get the hard cards and the low pops out of the way first so that I will have an easier time with the finish.I have had a few conversations with some of the guys here and they are all great.

Way to go with your 72 set.I wish you luck with your completion.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.