Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are New Kennedy Halves regularly circulated?

You don't see many new ones in circulation... most are middle to late 90's or earlier. I did get a couple of uncirculated mint rolls from my bank last week...all 1998. and bought the two roll 2002 set from the mint.

Am I on track or are they still being issued for circulation and I'm wasting my money buying from the mint.

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say how many are being held out in unc. In '91 it seemed as though
    lots of Kennedys were being set aside, but now they wholesale at $70 /roll.
    Investing or saving modern rolls has been a hit or miss proposition. Since the
    demand has started increasing there have been a lot more hits. Time will tell.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Kennedys don't get around much in most parts of the country, because there is little demand for them. In many places, they circulate less than the Sac dollars, if that can be imagined. Transit authorities are one of the big users, but inflation has pushed the price of a fare to a dollar in most areas.

There may be millions of uncirculated Kennedys around, but there are sitting in bags at the Fed banks gathering dust. No guarantee that they will ever be released, or in what condition they'll be after long-term storage in those bags.

Keith ™

• I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the only way to get the 2003 halfs was to order them from the mint. You can get a two roll set for around $35.00 or so. You might want to check out their website.
    Banned for Life from The Evil Empire™!
    Looking for Nationals, Large VF to AU type, 1928 Gold, and WWII Emergency notes. Also a few nice Buffalo Nickels and Morgan Dollars.
    Monty...
  • That was the 2002s that can only be bought from the mint for $35/roll or thereabouts. I have found no 2001s in circulation. 2000s are not that common, but I see them more often than 1999s. Circulating 2003s will probably not be made until November or December if at all.

I use half dollars on a regular basis. I make it a point.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file