Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Random rant

Is there anything more annoying than clicking on an auction for a psa 9 card, only to find that it's either ungraded (but to the seller it looks like a psa 9!) or graded by some inferior grading company? I really wish ebay would kick all these goons off for misrepresenting their items.

Comments

• Options
    I also love seeing a PSA 9, then clicking on the auction and find its OC
  • Options
    I once clicked on a PSA ? - and it was. WOW!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Actually...

I don't mind those... Couple years ago - I clicked on two raw 1972 Topps where the seller
    stated PSA 9? After I checked out the scan - I wasn't convinced that they were 9's, but that they were pretty darn nice and bought them for around $5 and $12. I sent them in to PSA. PSA came back with PSA 8's for both a #443 Ken Henderson and #693 Alan Gallagher. Two years ago, they were a Pop 1 and Pop 2. As of yesterday and 25,000 more 72's graded, they're pop 4 and pop 5.

I honestly think that many graded card folks walk by those auctions because they are a *PIA* but every now and them you can find a a diamond in the rough!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    This one time, at band camp...
    LOS ANGELES LAKERS BASKETBALL
    OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL
    LOS ANGELES DODGERS BASEBALL
    NEW YORK RANGERS HOCKEY
    DETRIOT LIONS FOOTBALL
    OKLAHOMA SOONERS BASKETBALL
  • Options
    Good One Cyphilissbimage

I have to agree with the others above if it is not PSA graded do not put PSA 9? in the title that is best left for the text.... Putting Pro 9 ? its usually more appropriate in almost all of these cases....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Hi Jeff/Guys,

Many sellers list Pro, but then they say "not PSA" in the title of the auction. This way when a user types PSA in a search (which is probably one of the hottest search by names on Ebay), their cards come up too. Most of the times when a seller lists something like this, it is a scam (IMHO).

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    mrichards, goodriddence

Ebay also thinks this is a scam under their 'key word' spamming rule. Report them when you see them and they will have the auctions shut down.

Matt
    UK based collector.
  • Options
    <This one time, at band camp...> awesome!...
    yeah, I think this type of listing bothers me the most "1975 Topps #00 so and so BGS 8.5 PSA 9 !" I just clench my teeth by that bgs 8.5 psa 9 stuff...
  • Options
    braves72078.......

Hey Billy...I grit my teeth every time I come across one of those "hidden" OC's...

I actually bought one a few months ago...Zipped right through the auction header, and was shocked when I received the card.....Reviewed ALL the auction info and sure enough, only on the scan ...There it was..."PSA 9 OC"......I was too embarrased to say anything, or do anything...I just chucked it in the garbage can, and vowed to ALWAYS look at the scan.....Oh Well...

goodriddance189...good post!!!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    That just happened top me as well. I put in a snipe bid on a PSA 9 card. I . I looked at my snipe list and I see I won the card for $2.47 , I knew right then it was going to be a OC which I overlooked when placing a bid. I just put in a fairly low-bid , not thinking I could win the card, when it came up as a win at that price, I knew I carelessly let that one slip through. Won't happen again.
    If it's worth doing..It's worth overdoing!!
  • Options
    About a year ago, I accidentally purchased a PSA 8OC card that wasn't listed as "OC" in the title or in the item description. The scan was very bad, but if you looked closely, you could see some text under the "NM-MT 8". This card was unfortunately the 1970 Topps #712 Nolan Ryan that I needed to upgrade from PSA 7. I wondered why I had gotten it so cheap. Well, a couple of months later, I finally got a PSA 8 with no qualifier and listed the 8OC on ebay with an accurate title and description and a nice clear large scan. I ended up selling the card for about $50 more than I paid for it. image I know that this is not the case if you accidentally buy a low value common card with a qualifier. Like Larry said, you might as well toss them in the garbage. Or you could add them to one of your "PRO 10 w/ PSA" auctions. image

JEB.
  • Options
    Now it's almost to the point where if I see o/c in the description header, I almost want to commend them!
  • Options

I agree with you guys that all the things that have been discussed are irritating.I do hope that the ones of you that are gritting your teeth still have some teeth left.I buy a lot of raw cards and the thing that gets my blood pressure up is some IDIOT that does not have the faintest idea what a NM or MT card is.I can't begin to say how much time I have spent looking at "DOGS" that people have listed as NM or MT.image

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I just had the rarity of buying a "Mint" 1975 Topps Set from Ebay and it is the nicest 75 set I've ever seen. The cards are nicer than the vending box I purchased. Many sellers on Ebay don't know what "Mint" means. I also picked up an absolutely GORGEOUS 1974 Topps Nolan Ryan from the same seller. I paid full book for it but it was worth it.

1975 Topps Set