Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How to tell is a card has been repaired

How can you tell if a card has been repaired? IE the white sections made to look more white. I heard that you can use a blue light or an ultraviolet light, but I don't really want to go out and buy one of those. I'm thinking about sending a card to PSA but it might be a little to good to be true.

I had bought it raw off ebay.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Mrc32

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    If you think the borders might have been bleached -- I suggest smelling the card. Also -- you can hold the card up to a bright white light -- and if it is more translucent than a comparable un-altered card from the same issue, that is an additional indicator.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    The easiest way to tell if a card has been repaired is to look for the PRO label on top.
  • Options
    I would highly recommend against buying anything too high end off of ebay (that's raw).

I've had some bad experiences in the past and will only stick to PSA graded items when it comes to high end vintage stuff (BV$500+)

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there's a good thread over on the SGC forum regarding the use of UV light. There's an example of a card that has been repaired showing it under normal lighting and UV illumination.
  • Options

<< <i>How can you tell if a card has been repaired? IE the white sections made to look more white. I heard that you can use a blue light or an ultraviolet light, but I don't really want to go out and buy one of those. I'm thinking about sending a card to PSA but it might be a little to good to be true.

send me a high resolution scan and more information and I will help you. Marc S,you cannot smell distilled water which is commonly used to remove staining,tape Et and the first step towards brightening cards. turpintine is not usually used!...However,there are many other ways to tell. A Black light will only detect airbrushing,nothing else. image
  • Options
    waitilltheytrytosell- Is was raw not graded by PRO. In fact I have more faith in raw cards than PRO cards.

anjcollection- It was only a $20 card so it wouldn't be the end of the world. I very rarely if ever by high end stuff raw

gemint- Do you have a link to the thread? Is it on the SGC site?

There is no obvious smell. I always smell my cards when I get them. Not to see if they have been tampered with, but because I like the smell of 50's era cards. Sounds weird but they smell old. This card has that smell. The gloss is great and doesn't seem to be affected.

I can't scan it as I don't have a scanner...but thanks for the tips
  • Options
    Altered Card link- SGC

I found the link- very helpful. But the lesson I learned is that you shouldn't really be able to tell with the naked eye that anything is wrong on the card. Maybe the slight discolorations are printing problems, since there doesn't seem to be a problem with the gloss
  • Options
    Hi Mike/Guys,

Thanks for the link. I have been selling raw cards for a while on Ebay. If you buy from a reputable source, more times than none, they are legitimate cards.

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.
  • Options
    Mrichards- Very true. I wish all dealers were of your quality...

• Options
    Thanks Michael. There are many collector/mini dealers like myself. The more you are on the auction websites and card show, you will find them. There are a bunch on Ebay.

Mike
    Always looking for 1952 Bowmans and 1953 Johnston Cookies PSA 8's and higher.