Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc Dime Semi Key Date Prices Going Bonkers ??

Just saw another one, 1927D, on a Web Site that seemed insane. $2800.00 for a 64FB coin. Either I am completely out of it with prices or something has really happened lately with peoples awareness of the Real Lack of some of these Merc Semi Key dates. Saw another one the other day but cannot remember which date it was.

Man I might be priced out of Finishing this Set Again, just like the 80's again almost, Fooey.

Oh well, back to buying Fairlanes again instead of Mercs. image

Ken

Comments

• Options
    I agree Ken, In trying to fill out my set in 63FB+ I'm amazed at what its costing to get some of the "common" mercs. Yet I can get a total mintage 500 Barber proof in high grade for what I think is a steal. About $1600. Are these dimes really that rare? Example is the 39-s in 65FB. Seems like it should be fairly common, yet it'll cost $600+ to get one.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ken & Paul,

I've only been collection these for about a year, and it seems to me the prices are on the upswing. The 35-D I saw at the Houston show in 65FB was $650.00, $150.00 over gray sheet! When the price starts going over $600.00, I start looking at no band dimes real hard. I guess I can upgrade when I hit the lottery.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    I was dumb enough to have the auction for the 1917-D that I have end during the Super Bowl. Fortunately I had a reserve on it. I'm sure I'll find a buyer for it eventually. I think it might be one of the dozen finest known for that date.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimetime,

The 39-S is common, except in high grade with bands. I think a lot of the better date dimes have been cheap compared to other coins of the same scarceity(sp).

JMHO, Jon
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking through the Numismatic New Coin Martket this month. The only coin to increase in prices from last month is 42/1 in circulated grades. The rest of the prices all seem to be the same as last month. Maybe there is just more people interested and/or looking for investment rather than colleting.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

No your not completely out of it, I noticed a huge price tag on a 1927-D too probably the same coin...why last 30 days 2 examples that I have seen sold for $985 & $610 both were FSB's I admit the $610 was a steal though.

FC for some reason I don't see any of the trends or values actually showing any upward price changes...maybe all of us are just more aware image

Carl was gonna bid on that 1917-D, I guess I chickened out when it passed $2K if I remember correct ....but I admit that was lame and foolish as it looks super and worth well over what bidding stopped at ...umm maybe we can talk? image

Marc

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was just a typo by some data entry person, and no one has brought it to their attention?

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DLRC on the 27D correct ?

Doubt if it was a typo but you never know. Also there is a 28S on a Web Site that I covet but the price is double + Gray Sheet for the grade. Man I'm dumb with these things but not a complete Idiot I hope. image

I think watching the upcoming Heritage Auction closely is in order and then go from there. Bidding is probably out of the question. I see that some of the same dimes that did not sell at the FUN Auction are in this one also. Interesting, high reserves and high expectations from consignors for the dimes that did not sell at FUN.

Ken
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that '27-D on the DLRC site too. That's got to be a typo, or else someone is dreaming. Kind of makes me wish I'd bought a '27-D in 65 non-FB, but I believe it was priced at $1300, and had too large a hit on the reverse to be a 65, IMO. It'll be interesting to see if these high-priced Merc's sell at the levels the owners think they should be at. That '27_D in 64FB is an OK coin, but not at nearly triple greysheet bid. Maybe they'll listen to reasonable offers after it's been sitting in inventory for a couple of months.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    When I stopped at a new dealer yesterday, he was telling me there is a lot of people coming into his store to put money into coins because the banks aren't paying any interest. He noted a farmer that came in and told him that he had purchased a complete set of UNC Mercs for an investment. Could be babble, but he could be right! He also claimed that he had a bunch of UNC Mercs from the 1930's last week and sold them all as fast as they came in.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    If this keeps up, I will for sure start selling off my set. I will sit a while to see if any of these prices level off.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Being somewhat Capitalistic (SP) maybe it is time to send some of the Dimes to PCGS for upgrade, BTW which is something that has never been done. image Older folks need Money also. When the 40's dimes in 65FB hit $150 I will be in a selling mood. Untill then I will hold tight and do some very close watching. Of course if a offer that could not be turned down was made......Hmmm.

Geez, We are almost sounding like Investors. Well for Me a Very Small Investor. image

Ken
  • Options
    Well, after attending the PCGS party in florida at FUN, being in the same room with Steve, Tim, Jim, and several others, I know I am a very small investor compared to those guys...wow! But very nice people. I hope someday,I can drop that kind of money for a hobby.....dream on!imageimage

edited for grammer
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • Options
    Damn I hate to miss Excellent Parties. You guys keep reminding me of the Great time at FUN. image

Truthfully being there would have probably been the Hi Point in the Collecting career. image
  • Options
    Ken,
    which dimes do you see in this auction that did not sell at fun??(I thought I bought all of themimage)
    don't I wish, but could you give me some dates ,
    thanks
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Tim:

I believe that 66 19S is one plus a 20S in 66 and of course the 27D (Not in Auction) in 66 that they have had forever. Going by memory here as I cant take the slowness of the site lately. There was a couple more I recognized but cannot remember right at the moment.

BTW if you get a chance to read the description on the 27D do so. Its a 66 now but described as a 65 as it was a few months ago. image

Ken
  • Options
    Ken, are these the non fb dimes you are talking about??? I believe all the quality ones
    sold at fun. I was at the merc auction and the only one I know for sure that did not
    sell was the 16-d 67fb(that is really only a 66fb) I looked that coin over very closely
    and it should not be in that holder IMHO. I believe I remember the 19-s 66 nb dime
    not very attractive ( but I believe it sold and maybe got sent back)
    Tim
    what do you think of the 23-s and the 25-s in the auction (both 66fb )
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even find so called common dates that are nice for a fair price
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup that was DH's 27-D, I doubt it'll sell.

I was successful with a number of Mercs bought at this past FUN sale, and although I did not personally examine them prior, I was very pleased with what I received. I guess I passed on anything that looked or smelled bad or that I had comments detailed back to me as nono's .... on the flip side I thought a handful of those new Merc's for sale looked familiar, while I haven't studied any of them its inetersting you note they are from this past FUN sale. FRankly, I don't believe they can turn it around that fast, I thought they'd wait at least to the sale following next to place them again...oh well!

Marc
  • Options
    I did go to a small show today and was offered a lot of ngc 66fb mercs common
    date late 30's and 40's 10% back of gs ask, they all came from original rolls this
    guy put away about 20years ago and finally sent in for slabbing a month or so ago.
    but they were all bright white( sorry ken)
    Tim
    the guy had a couple of boxes full ,probable about 60 or 70 total
  • Options
    Well a couple of the dimes I mentioned earlier at the Heritage Site are gone. Maybe I mistook them as being in the auction when actually they were just on the site. The 20S is the 65 coin and not a 66 coin. I recognize it from the big hit just above the middle band on the reverse.

Now for the 23S and 25S in 66FB. First I will say if I was the consignor I would be "Screaming to the High Heavens". The pictures are just plain terrible. Makes the coins look very unattractive. If those two coins actually look like they do in the pictures someone got some real gifts with the grades. From the pictures I would not touch them with a ten foot pole, even if it was possible. Look at the 26S, the picture is junk there also. Weak attempt to dipict some really high grade and rare Mercs.

As always "Just My Humble Opinion".

Ken