Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SCD touts Set Registry

The current issue of SCD has several favorable articles about the PSA set registry. This once widely read paper may now becoming aware of current hobby trends. Some still wonder if SCD is issued weekly or weakly.

The paper does have some staff members who don't share a positive opinion regarding the registry or even graded cards in general. Different views for different folks, SCD is still a reasonably decent and timely source for hobby info.
This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    I thought you were going to write about SCD starting their own set registry. Talk about the Emperor having no clothes.
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    They also listed every single 2002 Registry Set award winner, including the special awards.

I received a free issue of SCD which was the first I had read since about 1999. It really seems to be a shadow of what it once was. It did have some very interesting articles however, but all in all I was a little disappointed.
  • Options
    Oh yes, the Feb. 14th issue. In this issue, on page 83, I learned that SCD graded cards do in fact have printed labels on the front of their cards. I held off on sending anything to them because I thought I was going to my cards back with a stupid looking blank white sticker on top. I thought I was responsible for handwriting my own description and grade. I got a D- in penmanship.

Ah yes, the PSA special issue. With every base stolen, Rickey Henderson breaks his own record. New low page count isn't a record that a publication wants to see. So in an effort to keep page count up(at least ones people pay for), we've seen some "special" issues. A few weeks back it was Auction House Special, then Supplies Special, then PSA Special. For the low low price of whatever, you can be part of the Special Feature on Auctions, Supplies, and PSA. Thankfully, after SCD's crushing kick to the privates of the hobby's core of collecting, the response to being featured in a PSA special in their pages was rather dismal. They only managed to find one dealer willing to pay them to be featured in their "tribute" to PSA story. Maybe for the last few months the guy was out of the country or in a coma or something, but at least it wasn't a total bust.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

My subscription recently expired (on purpose)...who was the dealer?

John
  • Options
    http://www.blocksportscards.com/

Show your support, buy something. Tell him you heard about him from the PSA message boards.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    There is no better Toilet Bowl reading than a 10-15 year old SCD. It's actually pretty educational to see what has gone up, AND what has gone down.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Block Sportscards has helped me out in the past with some low population commons for some of the sets I am working on.

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I would not recommend Blocksportscards. Nice cards, however, I received very poor customer service from him.
  • Options
    Waittil = blocksportscards

wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    UNI - Maybe they should change their tag line from "Voice Of The Hobby" to "Perfect for the toilet" Although I'm Sure ZARDOZ would state that its "Perfect in the toilet"image ...jay
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.blocksportscards.com/ = What a horrid website, cant read it, too dark.

Tell them to find the nearest 16 yr old for a redo.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    There was also this strange ad in the front for a microscope that did 10, 60 and 200 times magnification on your cards that could hook up to your computer. All for $99. But it looks like plastic.

Anyone seen this before?