Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I need help from you 1954 guys.

I don't collect the 54 Topps but as a Cubs and Banks fan I have always loved this card. Can somebody tell me if they think this a low, middle or high end 8 from the scan. I think it is kind of close to the top??????? Thank you!!!!!
54 Banks

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the t/b centering that much, personally....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    How did this card grade an 8 with that centering??
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Not that it has any bearing on the grade, but the right side is rough cut.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I would pass. I don't know much about the market or issue, but the eye appeal isn't that great imho.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Here is an "8" from another grading co.
    T/B looks about the same.
    GAI Banks
    Just about every 54 Banks I can find is a little "top" heavy.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Here is a PSA 7 that sold on Teletrade that had much better t/b centering. May not always exist that way -- but it is definitely possible.

Here
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    To me it looks average. Banks is a really tough card to find centered and clean. I will give you my own personal rule for evaluating centering on 54's. I go to the bottom of the card and compare the left, right and bottom borders. If they are equal (or within my low tolerance) the card works for me. Some of the white jersey, white background cards get difficult though. This rule also works really well on 1963 cards if you look at the top of the card.

For what it's worth,
    Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    I guess the ultimate question is : Do you think the card is High end enough for you to plunk down $XXX. In the end you are the one who has to be happy with the card....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I know the centering on this issue is all over the board and very tough, but for this card to have an 8 is entirely inexcusable. Read the centering standards written by PSA and it is a shoe-in for a PSA refund of some sort. No way that's a straight 8 - period.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know the centering on this issue is all over the board and very tough, but for this card to have an 8 is entirely inexcusable. Read the centering standards written by PSA and it is a shoe-in for a PSA refund of some sort. No way that's a straight 8 - period. >>

I agree that a problematic issue should not be given a looser standard just because it is frequently oc. Just like certain cards within a set are tough to find centered and, therefore, low population, if the '54s are normally oc then the populations for high grade cards from that year should be correspondingly lower.