Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

THE DISAPPEARING 1935(s) QUARTERS!!

The PCGS pop on 1935(s) Wash quarters in PCGS-MS67 has gone from 10 to 8 in the past 120 days?? I wonder if a lower quality MS67 specimen was taken off the market? This coin is becoming very scarce, very quickly in the top grade image Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible for coins like this to have crossed into NGC (star holders?!) and the inserts returned to PCGS?
    I would think that is one possibility.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Hey Mitch, You'r right, and I noticed that also because I happen to own one of those pop. 8 (or just how many is it?) 1935-S PCGS MS67's. I can tell you this for a fact...there aren't many because I have personally never seen more than one, maybe two a year offered for sale, and I've never saw any offered at any of the major show auctions last year. When they are offered though, the price tag reaches 5 figures now for this date in 7. I'm one of the lucky ones, though. When I had my set pedigreed last Summer, I requested a few regrades. I only got one, but it was my '35-S, which was previously in a 6 holder. I got a call from Rick Montgomery at that time telling me it went to a 7. Needless to say, I was a happy camper! Anyway, as most experienced Washington collectors know, most branch-mint coins before 1940 are extremely tough in MS67, and even more so before 1937.

Will we ever see a '32-D or '32-S coin make MS67? Are there some treasures hidden away in a dark attic somewhere waiting to be graded? Could be, I suppose, but after all these years, I'd have to say it's not too likely. I'd settle for a MS65 or MS66 '32-D or -S! image

Tom Schiera
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    What to go Tom! 35S in 7 is a killer coin. I can also speak with great experience how hrad this coin is to find in the "other" companies holder. When I had my Registry set over there, it was one of just a couple of coins I couldn't acquire to make my target numerical average of 67.0 (I did get to 66.93 average w 32DS in MS64 grades). Their pop report shows 20 coins but I'd stake my first born on the fact there are really only about 1/2 that number (if that). Mitch is right - tough tough coin! BTW Mitch, congrats on making the 39S in 67 in spite of that black spot on the temple - GREAT upgrade. brings up a new question in the same vein:

Where are all the 1939S coin in MS66 and above???? Talk about drying up and disappearing!!!!!!!

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "BTW Mitch, congrats on making the 39S in 67 in spite of that black spot on the temple - GREAT upgrade"

Craig: Thank you. A "spot" might keep a coin like the 39(s) quarter out of the MS68 grade (but, hey - have you seen what some of those MS68's have looked like recently!!) , but, IMHO, the 39(s) was a solid candidate to MS67 at PCGS. I may have won the coin at $1800, but, was prepared to go much higher for it. And, you know I am not "fibbing you" - heck, I paid well over $5,000 for the lot in that sale with the 1937(d) quarter in NGC-MS66 in it (incidently, the NGC-MS67 1937(p) quarter from that lot is already in a PCGS-MS67 holder).

I assume from your comment that you may have been one of the "Wash quarter experts" who commented the coin had no chance to upgrade. Either way, no big deal. We are ALL learning EVERY DAY image

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Mitch - I'm no quarter expert! If you had asked my opinion, I would have said it wasn't a candidate - soley because of the "spot" and what appeared to me to be some prior "work" to remove part of the "spot" and smooth over the con surfaces around that spot to lessen its visual impact. Outside of that, I thought it was a wonderful coin and a solid coin that there was no way I was going to be able to touch in the auction - "going to the moon" is the phrase that comes to mind. I, long ago, learned never say never. You've successfully showed all the "nay sayers" that you knew what you were doing! My hat's off to you. Now, where's some more of those pretty MS66's???
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    "and what appeared to me to be some prior "work" to remove part of the "spot" and smooth over the con surfaces around that spot to lessen its visual impact. "

Craig: Could that "spot" have been on your eyeball and not the coin? imageimage Nothing you say will make me sell my new coin that I love image

Hey - just fooling with you - I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday image

Wondercoin

• Options
    Mitch
    I was the one who said the coin is not a 67 And the way I take chances on WONDERCOINS (We are ALL learning EVERY DAY ) not for me!!!! pcgs gave you a ms 67 that was tooled HYPE BS the coin is not for sale from a DEALER and not many Washington guys including graders know the real deal

Bob

have changed from CONECA # to Dr James Wiles
    looking for my top 20
    1935 DMR-2 DMR4 DMR-5
    1935d DMR-3
    1936 DMR-4 DMR-8 DMR-10 DMR-11 DMR-12
    1936D DMR-2
    1937 DMR-4-5-7
    1937d DMR-3(rpm-3) DMR-4
    1937s DMR-3
    1938 DMR-5 DMR-7
    ITS GETTING TO HOT TO THINK
    BOB

collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • Options
    Bob: I would respond to your last thread, but I really did not understand what you were trying to say.

As for you stating the coin would never 67, you obviously mentioned it to a few folks who mentioned it here FIRST and introduced the subject of the 1939(s) quarter and the price paid for it (check to see how the 1939(s) quarter even came up as a topic here on the boards -it wasn't by me). It turns out, I bought the coin in a PCGS-MS66 holder in the FUN auction and it upgraded on the first try to PCGS during these "tough" grading times. Not much more to discuss I guess image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch
    is it because RM has left a sinking ship and now that anyone can FIND there grade more coins better grades better coins MUCK the real deal know that PCGS is not as good!!!!! we should all eat it raw
    ie raw

1941s DMR-5 DMR-7 DMR-8 DMR-9 DMR-10 DMR-11 DMR-13 DMR-14
    also in 1941 16.080.00 coins were minted from SF
    collect all high grade Washingtons also Washingtons double dies,overmint marks and RPM's always buying
  • Options
    Bob: It was great speaking with you this afternoon! Keep up the great work on the Wash quarter variety collection! image Wondercoin. P.S. I'd be fibbing if I didn't say I miss RM too.
  • Options
    Mitch
    I no longer beleave THAT pcgs knowns what you know great win

ZAPS COINS
    Bob