Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1954 Banks...whats it worth

So here is the question...What is the true value of this card. I contemplated bidding on the first one..

Ended on the 27th 1954 Banks PSA 6- $355

Ended on the 30th1954 Banks PSA 6- $520

Unreal difference....

Comments

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    The only evidence I see is the diff. in the two scans. The second auction is A LOT nicer. Even though the seller of that card state" blah, blah, blah so close to a 7...", in this case I have to agree. The second one sure looks like a 7 to me.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    The top left corner on the 2nd card is not 7 caliber.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    .........edited to agree with the Bobs.
  • Options
    So what other explanation could there be other than a nutty bidder...

I found it strange....and interesting test
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It is hard for me to place a lot of credence in either auction with so many low feedback bidders driving the race. On the second example -- you have something like 70% of the bids by people with 15 feedback or less -- with only one person with established feedback bidding over $315. Thus -- I think it may be appropriate to discount the results to a variety of issues -- many of which relate to incompetence, lack of knowledge, or fraud.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I would say it has a shot of being reslabbed as a 7 but not enough to pay a premium over the PSA 6 SMR.... I think 4 things led to this card being much higher priced

1.) It is a little nicer than the lower priced one.

2.) The scan is much better on the higher priced card than the lower priced one ....

3.) The bidding got a little emotional on the higher priced card (or it was shilled) someone felt they just had to have this card.

4.) One of the bidders might have strongly enough that they could reslab this card as a 7.

Just my thoughts
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Of course you know, this means war.

colbybuttaz - $350.00 Jan-29-03 16:14:12 PST
    was sitting high and pretty, but along comes
    robertchicoine - $400.00 Jan-30-03 10:03:18 PST
    oh no you don't
    colbybuttaz - $360.00 Jan-30-03 10:16:18 PST
    colbybuttaz - $370.00 Jan-30-03 10:16:25 PST
    colbybuttaz - $380.00 Jan-30-03 10:16:40 PST
    colbybuttaz - $390.00 Jan-30-03 10:17:17 PST
    colbybuttaz - $400.00 Jan-30-03 10:17:24 PST
    ah hah, now take that
    colbybuttaz - $405.00 Jan-30-03 10:20:23 PST
    oh yeah, well take that(38 seconds later)
    robertchicoine - $450.00 Jan-30-03 10:21:01 PST
    you @$%$#, i'll get ya
    colbybuttaz - $415.00 Jan-30-03 10:28:56 PST
    colbybuttaz - $425.00 Jan-30-03 10:29:05 PST
    colbybuttaz - $435.00 Jan-30-03 10:29:12 PST
    colbybuttaz - $445.00 Jan-30-03 10:29:20 PST
    colbybuttaz - $455.00 Jan-30-03 10:29:27 PST
    who's the man, what do you say now, huh, huh, i didn't think so
    what is this thing you call "sniping", hmmm, sounds intriguing
    robertchicoine - $520.50 Jan-30-03 11:28:45 PST
    amunsoncubby - $510.50 Jan-30-03 11:29:04 PST
  • Options
    One of those dopes should have had some restraint or used esnipe.com
  • Options
    Waittil,

LMAOimage

Exactly what I was thinking in my 3rd point ... You just put it so much more poetically.....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    It's possible, though probably not in this case, that the day the auction ended affected the number of bidders. Traffic usually isn't very high on Monday nights.

Sunday nights are typically the best times to post an auction (7-day) b/c that's the timeframe when most of the traffic is on eBay. Something I read a while back and have done relatively well on auctions I've posted in the past.

Any other thoughts out there in terms of best times to post an auction? Probably a topic for a separate post though...
  • Options

<< <i>Any other thoughts out there in terms of best times to post an auction? Probably a topic for a separate post though... >>

ANJ,

Sunday is the only day I post auctions on ebay anymore. I've tried every other day of the week as a seller, and almost nothing does well mid week. I usually get a lot of bids in the last 10 minutes or so on Sunday evening but that doesn't happen during the week. I've had the same results as a buyer. I usually get the best deals on cards during the week (especially Friday night - don't ever list cards on Friday - unless they're cards I need image). Sniping will have more and more of an effect on this over time as more people become aware of this type of service.

JEB.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

mrc32,

Why didn't you bid on MY auction?image

Some may recognize the 2nd and 3rd place bidders as prominent dealers, so if dealers are willing to pay $425+, it might give you an idea what the card is worth to their buyers.

1954 Banks PSA 6
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    Playball-
    A little out the price range for my set. Though she is supportive of my habit, I think the new wife would want an explanation being a newlywed and all.

Mrc32