Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Composition of 10,000 yard rushers set

With the HOF RC all but settled and the Heisman set on the say, I think it'll be easy to agree on the set composition for the 10,000 yard rushers set. This is what I have in my spreadsheet:

Jim Brown 1958 Topps #62 $1,250
O.J. Simpson 1970 Topps #90 $85
John Riggins 1972 Topps #13 $50
Franco Harris 1973 Topps #89 $75
Walter Payton 1976 Topps #148 $180
Tony Dorsett 1978 Topps #315 $50
Ottis Anderson 1980 Topps #170
Marcus Allen 1983 Topps #294 $16
Eric Dickerson 1984 Topps #280 $7
Thurman Thomas 1989 Score #211 $3
Barry Sanders 1989 Score #257 $21
Emmitt Smith 1990 Score Supplemental #101T $70
Ricky Watters 1991 Stadium Club #60
Jerome Bettis 1993 SP #6 $15
Marshall Faulk 1994 SP #3
Curtis Martin 1995 SP #11 $11

Any comments?

Joe
No such details will spoil my plans...

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    100% agreement with the list. The Faulk is valued at $20 in the SMR as an 8. Watters isnt listed, but approx. value of his PSA 8 is $4.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Looks good to me! I would be interested in working on this set too, if it happens.

Mike
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Cool image I nominate someone else to e-mail this to BJ. I'm sure she's sick of me from the HOF RC debate, and I know this differs slightly from the originally submitted list.

Joe
  • Options
    Joe, I have e-mailed her the list before, but she said she had already frwarded your list to Joe Orlando. I will e-mail you a copy of the excel file I sent, its exactly the same as what you listed here.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    You mean I could use my 95 Superior Pix CUrtis Martin?
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Did you weigh the set, and if so, what were they??

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    looks good to me, that is a fun set to work.....
    If your not in the Hall of Fame, You are not a Hall of Famer.
    Always looking for PSA 8+ Rookies of NFL Hall of Famers
  • Options
    I didn't weight the set... someone else submitted the set to BJ and I don't know if it had weighting. I know Robert e-mailed her a list with weighting, but I don't have it with me here at work. It's a tough set to weight because the Brown is so much more valuable than everything else.

Joe
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    since i have all you football guys here. i am a big dickerson fan and was wondering if psa graded these
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    yes they do.....I have submitted to sets myself for grading....
    If your not in the Hall of Fame, You are not a Hall of Famer.
    Always looking for PSA 8+ Rookies of NFL Hall of Famers
  • Options
    I'm screened some of my Marcus Allen McDonald's cards, and I doubt any would come back better than 8. If you look at the pop, most of the grades are 7-8. If you have a really nice Dickerson with no scratches on the prize box, I'd send it in.

Joe
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    BJ and Joe are not going to list the 10,000 NFL rushers as a separate PSA registry set.

Because this set has a similar player composition to the All-Time NFL Rushers, they intend to amend that set's composition to include any currrent 10,000 yard rushers that are missing. This will be a progressive set. New players surpassing 10,000 yards rushing will automatically be inserted.

I agree with this. Any comments?
  • Options
    There goes my only 100% set, before it's even listed image. Still, I agree there was too much overlap. So they just need to add:

Ottis Anderson 1980 Topps #170
    Ricky Watters 1991 Stadium Club #60
    Jerome Bettis 1993 SP #6
    Curtis Martin 1995 SP #11

Joe
  • Options
    Well this really sucks. I just recieved an email from bj stating that they are going to use the select certified Curtis Martin. I just went out and bought a psa 9 sp martin since that is the one everyone agreed upon in this thread. Oh well, win some, lose some.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Here is her email in case anyone is interested.

Hi All,

Last month we had a request for a 10,000 Yard Rusher set. Joe Orlando
    and I have discussed this at length and have decided that the addition
    of a 10,000 Yard Rushers set too closely mirrors the All-Time set which
    is already established and in which you are participating. Therefore,
    what we have decided to do instead is to add four players to the
    All-Time set who deserve to be in the set as 10,000 yard rushers. These four
    cards will be added with weights of 1:

170 1980 TOPPS OTIS ANDERSON
    60 1991 STADIUM CLUB RICKY WATTERS
    6 1993 SP JEROME BETTIS
    117 1995 SELECT CERTIFIED CURTIS MARTIN

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me. Thank
    you.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe
    512.420.8805 Fax

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Well, there goes the whole "most valuable" card theory. I guess we should start going after the cards with the highest POP. I sold my Select Certified because its worth about 50% of what the SP is worth. Oh well is right..Guess I'll never have 100% of that Registry....

JasP24
  • Options
    Heh. I happened to know the guy who owned the only PSA 10 SP Martin, and I convinced him to sell it to me for a large premium to SMR. Oh well, it's still a great card.

While BJ is in there updating the list, can we get her to correct the spelling errors?
    It's Ottis Anderson, not Otis
    It's Gale Sayers, not Gayle
    It's Marshall Faulk, not Marshal.

Maybe we can ask her the rationale behind choosing the Select Certified over the SP?

Joe
  • Options
    I dont know if its possible, but maybe we can have some say in getting the sp put in instead of the select certified. I will email her to see what can be done. it sounds like we have a majority voting for the sp.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Come to think of it, I'd like an explanation on the weightings too. Supposedly, the weightings are based on SMR for a PSA 8. Eric Dickerson is already in the set with a weighting of 1.5 and an SMR of $7 for his RC. SMR for the Bettis in PSA 8 is $15, and for the Select Certified Martin is $9, yet these guys are being given a weghting of 1?

Joe
  • Options
    I got the same e-mail from BJ and replied with my questions about the Select Certified Martin. She said that Joe made the call on the Select card, but she would address our concerns with him. Hopefully, we can get it changed to the SP card. The SP is far more desireable in every way(more valuable, lower pop, harder to get in mint condition) than the Select.

JasP24
  • Options
    The all-time rushers set has been updated, and our petition for the SP Martin has not fallen on deaf ears. The SP Martin, SP Bettis, Stadium Club Watters, and Topps Anderson were all added with a weighting of 1, and all the spelling mistakes were corrected. Good job BJ and Joe!

Joe
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I have posted a '93 UD SP Bettis PSA 9 and '80 Topps Anderson PSA 9 on EBAY this week. I am going to focus on my '48 Bowman football set for now and revisit this set at a later date.

• Options
    I'm sure those will get gobbled up, those are tough cards to get in 9.

Joe