Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Any explanation?

I was perusing through the SMR today, and I came across something that amazed me. Under the 1932 U.S. Caramels price list, it says that a #16 Lindstrom PSA 3 sold for $79,876! Besides the t206 big three, is this the highest price paid for a PSA 3 card? I checked the POP report, and this is the ONLY example graded.

My other question is, is there a "story" behind this card, like the 1933 Goudey Lajoie, or is it just some type of anomoly?

Any thoughts? Would love to learn something.
Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.

Comments

• I remembered reading a story about that card so i did a yahoo search and found this. http://www.psacard.com/articles/article2889.chtml . Hope it helps

-Bill
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    According to the SCD big book from 2000-"Card #16 (Lindstrom) was discovered in the late 1980s and is not included in the set price; only two examples are currently known."

Maybe there was some kind of redemption for prizes and you needed a complete set so they shortprinted the Lindstrom.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The Lindy card is indeed rare, and really was not issued in the set. The US Caramel company in Boston had a redemption offer to boost sales during the rough economic times during the depression. If a kid assembled the entire set of 32 cards he could redeem them for a baseball and glove. The sly US Caramel company did not produce card #16, making it impossible for kids to get the free items, but it did make them buy more and more candy to try and find Lindstrom. The card in question was discovered in the 1980's, and 2 know copies exist, both have cancelled printed on the back w/ punch holes, so if either of these slipped through, still no one would be able to redeem them. Although that was a devious underhanded trick, think of all the sets that would be redeemed and destroyed instead of possibly making it in collectors hands, even 70 years later. Theres Cobb, Ruth and Gehrig among other HOF'ers in the set...jay
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The last Lindstrom card that sold was bought by Larry Fritsch in a SCP auction about 18 months ago. I'm pretty sure he now owns both of them. He had it listed for sale for 175K, and then put it up on ebay where I believe it didn't hit 60K. Probably a case of a card that is so rare that nobody wants it (or so Yogi would probably say).
    A PSA2 T206 Doyle Nat'l went for 178K a few years back- Fritsch noticed this variation in the 70's before it was widely reported and bought a few up. I haven't seen one offered in at least 4 years. That was the card that Keith Olberman thought he had bought in an SGC holder a few years ago, only to realized it was a fake and had gotten by their graders. His article "Slab This" in VCBC is worth the price of the back issue alone.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    It was the Doyle card Olberman bought? I thought it was the Magee (Magie).

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Jay,

Thanks! Great stuff.

Do you know where/how those 2 were discovered?
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i> The card in question was discovered in the 1980's, and 2 know copies exist, both have cancelled printed on the back w/ punch holes, so if either of these slipped through, still no one would be able to redeem them. >>

Only one of the two Lindy cards have holes punched through the card and has the word "cancelled" on the back. The card without the "cancel" stamp or punchholes was graded PSA 3. I believe that Fritsch successfully crossed-over the PSA 3 Lindstrom into a SCD 3 holder.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The first Lindstrom card was discovered in the 1980s. Leland's got a hold of it (I believe when their office was still located in Allentown, PA). There was a big hobby happening over this -- especially since Leland's at the time was touting it as the first "million dollar baseball card". The card never realized such a lofty goal -- but currently both known examples are owned by Fritsch. It is one of the few cards in the hobby that truly has a lot of storied history surrounding it.

And it does show you that after 50 years -- sometimes new things still pop up every now and again.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.