Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

A new appreciation for the quality of psa7

I got my first grades today. I definitely thought these cards would each grade 1 point higher. Oh well, live and learn. I'm hoping that I do better on my '70s submission (250 cards).

'52 bowman Mays 5
'55 topps Koufax 5
'60 topps Mantle 5
'66 topps F. Robinson 6
'68 topps Rose 6
'60 topps McCovey 6

PS - 1 grade downward is an expensive 'reality check'.
Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    Pick your jaw up of the floor. A lot of us know the pain of that 1st submission for your sake I hope your 70's due better 250 cards make for a lot of expensive 6's. There have been several recent posts on this subject . Read them and take them to heart and your PSA experience will become much more enjoyableimage
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interested in selling the mantle?
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    I'd be interested in the 52 Mays, 55 Koufax and 60 Mantle depending on centering....

EMail me at: anjcollection@hotmail.com
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    They were all centered well. I'll recheck when I get them back.
    I was going to list them on e-bay, but if I can get a price in the range of what they have been selling for, I'd be happy to offer them to you. I'll email you a scan when I get them back. I was really hoping to get a 6 out of the mays....I don't see them centered as nicely as this one usually.

-I know this isn't the trading/selling board...that wasn't my intention...hope no one is upset.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As first mentioned the Mantle interests me also, please e-mail me at

abekulynych@aol.com if/when you decide to sell.

Thanks,
    Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    I'd be interested in the Mantle and the McCovey. Thanks.

Email: jeb@virtualizard.com
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with those grades?

As defined by PSA : 5 is Excellent and a 6 is Excellent Mint.

There are many collectors out there who enjoy PSA 5's and 6's and for many, PSA 5-6 also fit nicely into a budget.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

AMEN, NEAL!
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>What is wrong with those grades? As defined by PSA : 5 is Excellent and a 6 is Excellent Mint. >>

I agree. Thats why I am working on that 1987 Topps Traded set in PSA 5-6image Seriously, for a 50 year old card a 5 or 6 is very solid.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Add my name to the list interested in the Koufax, Mays, and McCovey.
    ljb17@austin.rr.com
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Well, I got the other 250 grades in. Thank goodness y'all prepared me. Anyhow, keep in mind that a lot of the '72 and '73s I knew would be low grade stars. I just hated the thought of selling them raw on e-bay and having people feel like they got robbed by a good scan. If it's graded, then it'll be more comfortable for me. I'm gonna buy a loupe, etc...
    For what it's worth, I should be the top '75 basketball set when registered.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Good Grief. Ever thought about collecting coins? Just kidding.

Seriously, Quit while you're...er...ahead. I think you may have hurt your chances of ever selling most of those on ebay by having them placed in 5 and 6 holders. The pops are so high in 7 and 8 that I do not think anyone would bother. However, I could be wrong.

If you're worried about a disapointed buyer by selling raw, just give a nice, large clear scan, and describe the cards as "good collector grade" and offer a return policy. I think you would have gotten more $$ that way from buyers trying to get good nearmint raw cards than from the situation you are in right now.

Don't get mad or frustated at this point. It will do no good. When you get the cards back, check each one under magnification and you will quickly begin to learn what separates 6-7-8-9 cards apart.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Coins.....hmmmm

Anyhow, I know. I really thought they'd be 1 grade higher without question. And I know I should have submitted fewer before knowing what I'm doing. Oh well. At least I bought them for 1 cent originally. I've only lost the grading fee on all those 5's and 6's.
    See how I'm trying to keep my head up :/
  • Options
    Actually, my 6 year old son will love them : )
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <If it's graded, then it'll be more comfortable for me. >

If you want comfort...you could've spent the $1200 on a good massage while you're listing the raw cards. Quite honestly, after you dip below investor grade ... I don't think slabbing the cards actually adds enough value to justify the cost.

If it makes you feel better...probably every collector on the board has made some mistake in buying and selling cards that has cost him similar money.

Good luck next time.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Just let us know when you post them!

Thanks and welcome!