Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I think ANACS got this one wrong, and here's why.

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at this ANACS holdered 1909-S VDB cent. It has a net grade of VG08. The difference between the net grade and the details grade is only about $50.00 to $75.00 in value.
Now, I would think the net grade should reflect the value of the coin (with the details grade indicating the grade if there were no problems).

This Lincoln is corroded, and has what appears to be still active corrosion on it. A problem free 09-S VDB in the details grade would be about a $550.00 coin.
I would think with this type of heavy corrosion the 'value' or cost would be about $250.00, or even less- certainly not more! That should then net this one out at PO01 or maybe FA02, but certainly not VG08.

Usually ANACS gets these right, but in the case where there is not a large spread between circulated grades, a coin like this should indicate the spread with a larger difference between the net and details grade.

Do you agree?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3004263362&category=11944

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. The dug coin. It has appeared on the U.S. coin forum, as well. I'm not sure what I think of their grade on that.

I do know that I strongly disagree with the grade I got on the dug 1798/7 cent that was featured in Coin World last October. As it was in the ground 200 years, I expected a net grade for corrosion. That's not my beef with them. What annoyed me is the "details" grade. They gave it "VF details net F12", which I find absurd. The consensus of opinion from everyone I've showed it to is that it has strong EF details, if not AU. I say EF45 details for the sake of argument. (Ignore the nasty-looking pic in the article.) I was hoping for at least EF details and a net grade of VF20. With a net grade of F12, I couldn't sell it for what I have in it. Net grading is a nice idea in theory, but in practice, it's a crock, IMHO. It doesn't work.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    it probably does not look quite as harsh in person. I used to have an ANACS SVDB EF details NET G4!!! man it was Rough!!!!!!! Very rough. I sold it on ebay probably 3 years ago and it went for 360 if I recall correctly. I sure was happy considering I paid 140.00 for it several years back.
  • Options
    >>>With a net grade of F12, I couldn't sell it for what I have in it.

Didn't you find this in the ground? So what do you have in it? Lunch, gas, and $10 for grading?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't find it, a friend of mine did. I bought it from him. If I had found it, it wouldn't be for sale. I keep all the coins I dig personally. Usually their value is only sentimental, anyway. But once in a while, something surprising pops outta the dirt.

My pal Billy, who found that 1798/7 cent, is much more interested in finding military relics than coins. So he goes out and digs that. I am much more interested in coins, and my most valuable find so far was a military relic. And an ugly one at that. Go figure. (I can't complain on that score, though.)

Pretty much any coin that comes outta the ground, even if well-preserved, will net grade. I would imagine some really pristine silver would get through now and then, though. And gold coins would almost certainly make the grade without "netting".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.