Home Q & A Forum
Options

Wheelmarks!

This question is two fold, if a coin has a wheel mark, whether it be centrally located (usual location I have experienced) or at the periphery...what is the maximum grade it will receive. I ask this again because of several reasons. The first is that I have seen a few coins with wheel marks in PCGS holders, and likewise receive coins in bodybags for this reason. The second is that I have some awesome toned coins that I would like authenticated and holdered but they either have wheel marks on the toned side or the other side. I also notice in one of Jim Halperin's books, he mentions that some gem coins can have slight or minor wheel mark or hairline scratches caused by them, and this seemed counter to what I was taught and have experienced in having coins graded.

Sorry for the long ?, I have been wondering this and desiring a distinct answer for some time.

morris <><
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Morris...The wheel mark issue is one of degree. A very light wheel mark is only a minor negative and maybe only a quarter of a point deduction. A noticeable wheel mark could subtract a point or two. A really noticeable wheel mark could become a body bag. I don't think you would see a coin with a minor, very light wheel mark in a holder above 65...David