Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Why do we pay when PSA or SGC MISlabels a card?

And why do WE have to identify it to begin with? is thisto assure them that our identification concurs with their guess of what it is ?. I looked over my collection of graded cards the other day ,only to find about an astounding 6% of them mislabeled! And I have to pay $5.00 per card to have them redone and I have to tell them what the cards are???? This being so,why is this company in the toilet as far as profit to earning ratios?? Should I send my wife who is a Scottishly cheap CPA to go over and help reorganize the place?imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    PSA doesn't charge anything to fix a mislabeled card. You just have to get it to them and they will do the rest free of charge. You also need to fill out form with the cards stating the mechanical error for each card.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Sir:

Re-holdering is for cards that have scratched holders, etc. Every time that I have had a PSA mistake -- I have sent it back to Charlie's attention, and he has taken care of the problem for free.

For example, today I received back from PSA four 1999 Bowman's Best Mike Schmidt/Scott Rolen autographed baseball cards that PSA had erroneously mislabeled as Ripken/Robinson. No worries -- no cries of PSA afoul -- I just shipped them back and now everything is better. YAY!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    PSA does not charge any fee when the mis-labeled the slabbed card. You are only out the shipping to get it to them, and that you can save if you hand it to them at the major shows that they attend...jay
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Man! I respond to the question and I'm 3rd in line w/ the answer! I gotta type quickerimage ...jay
  • BcD

Quit whining and call Charlie. He'll take care of you and the problem's fixed. Trust me!

Paul
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • I'm tellin ya'all! I paid $5.00 per card at a show in San Queercisco and what about the fct it is up to US to identfy card designations?
  • Uncle "Z" !!!!
  • You shouldn't have paid anything. You identify it for them because they have clerical and secretarial people that enter the data. They don't know cards. I suggest writing more legibly. (and spiffy up your spelling in your posts and make up you room too...or you won't get any supper)
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • SGC will also reholder the card at no cost.

It still suprises me the frequency that one sees mis-labeling (this statement goes for both companies)..and my experience is that it usually involves 2 cards on the same invoice that are in the other's holder...so writing more clearly (and cleaning your room!) probably won't do the trick.

It seem like an encapsulation room "proof-reader" would pay for themselves in a very short time.

Scott
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Caramels> Why do we have to identify the problem? Because they're OUR cards. If your order from McDonald's is wrong, isn't it you who identifies it?

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.

• << <i>I'm tellin ya'all! I paid $5.00 per card at a show in San Queercisco >>

No offense, but maybe you told them to reholder them and that's what they did. Maybe you weren't clear that you only wanted the labels corrected.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA doesn't charge anything to fix a mislabeled card. You just have to get it to them and they will do the rest free of charge. You also need to fill out form with the cards stating the mechanical error for each card. >>

This policy must have changed or not apply to everyone. About a year or two ago I had two
    Psa 8 1964 Topps Giants John Romano # 59 (incorrectly spelled Ramano - I guess the grader
    was thinking about Ray). Anyhow I was told it would cost $5 a piece at a Ft. Wash show to
    fix this error. For the price of Psa 8's I said no and sold the cards as is.

Around the same time or a little after that I picked up a 1953 Psa 8 Bobby Thomson (Thompson).
    This was my first graded red man. I didn't notice the label error right away. I went back to Psa
    to see if they would fix this one for free and still got told it would be $5. I won't pay out of
    my pocket to fix someone elses mistake. Anyhow, this card is listed on the registry as part
    of my collection with the mistake.

aconte
  • aconte, that is interesting information.

I wonder if they differentiate between a "typo" -- like a mis-spelled name and a "mistake" where the card is really in the wrong holder.

hmmmmm
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Aconte:

I wonder if they differentiate between minor and major mistakes? I would probably classify a one-letter spelling error as a minor mistake -- whereas if the card is clearly mislabeled (wrong issue, wrong name [e.g. "Ripken" instead of "Schmidt", as in my case], etc.) all seem to be major mistakes to me. Not sure how and if they differentiate on this issue.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Aconte - My statement has been true since 1999. I've had labels corrected at shows, but most of the time I send in mis-labeled cards with raw cards that are being sent in for grading in the mail. In fact, if you read the fine print on a submission form, you are obligated to return a mis-labeled card back to PSA. They do charge $5 to have a card reholdered, but it's free if it's a mechanical error.
    It's really no big deal. Maybe I just need clarification or an update if the policy has changed.
    I'll ask at the next show.

aconte
  • At the nationals, I took a card with me that had a cracked holder ( I cracked it myself by dropping itimage) and psa reholdered it and didn't even charge me the $5. I really appreciated that because I was expecting to pay for it.

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
    Cheezzz!! Psa must really hate meimageimage

I had to pay for a cracked holder too. That I did. I hate holders on crack!!

I just got another card in the mail. It's cracked on the corner. Maybe I should wear a name tag
    so they know to charge me and not accidently mistake me for one of you guys. HeeHeeHee!!

aconte

• << <i>You shouldn't have paid anything. You identify it for them because they have clerical and secretarial people that enter the data. They don't know cards.

But if they claim expertise,they should know how to use the ACC*. They encapsulate a designation and should be prudent in their due diligence to be correct!

I suggest writing more legibly.

Request potentially Vitriolic. I change a diaper and dictate my responses to either of my two twin daughters who are practicing their writing and typing skills. Being as you fully understand my thoughts,Idioms obviously worked fine. Everyone understood my comments.

(and spiffy up your spelling in your posts and make up you room too...or you won't get any supper) >>

"Call me anything....but don't call me late for Supper" : Robert Deniro in "This Boys Life"

• << <i>Aconte:

I wonder if they differentiate between minor and major mistakes? I would probably classify a one-letter spelling error as a minor mistake -- mark,when women baseball player cards like N508's are labeled as E-90 caramels with mens names does that qualify as mislabeled? or how about E-92 caramels labeld as 1954 Topps Rookie Hank Aaron? What say you?image
  • Hi Guys, I recently had some cards corrected myself. I took them with me to the Ft. Washington show. I was concerned that they would not do them all or reject some as being too minor of a mistake. To my surpise, they took all 25 cards and even allowed the ones that were in action cards and didn't say so on the label. I received them in about 10 days and all were perfect. The whole thing cost me nothing except a little time to fill out the form. Neil