Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why the mystery on the Complete U.S. Type Coin Set (1792-1964) Registry?

High Desert, pcm and " The" are the top 3 current finest and each has elected not to show their holdings? WHat's up with that? I thought the whole purpose of the registry was to show off, share, blah blah blah?

I could create an account and cull bar codes from various places and create a finest set too. Not saying they did but what if.....

Imagine a Registry of all hidden sets, no pix, no details nothing. Hmmm, real exciting huh? NOT!

Show it off or take it off.

Comments

• Options
    I kind of agree, however, there are some good reason for some people to want to hide their sets. One so no knows what coins you need and will not try and up the price on you. Another some people will actually buy up all the coins you need so you can't. Some people are very competitive.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    so no knows what coins you need and will not try and up the price on you. Another some people will actually buy up all the coins you need so you can't

Doesn't everyone need to buy the same coins? Is it really possible to "corner" the market? Are some foolish enough to tie up funds in one or two coin series in hopes collectors will buy to fill a hole in a set? There comes a point where collectors just say no, who cares about the missing coin.

I feel it borders on paranoia to not show a set or cheating. Either way it is silly to participate and not show.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DL- I agree with some of what you are saying. I think the main reason to participate in the registry is to "show off" your coins. To build a top set and then hide it seems to defeat this purpose. I really think the main reason a collector would "hide" their set is because they have a few hole filler coins to jack up completion percentage and they are too embarrassed to show low grade coins in their otherwise high grade set.

I don't see cheating as a real issue. True a person could collect cert numbers and build a ficticious set but they would be exposed when the current or future owner of the coins tried to register them. I had this happen when I tried to register two new coins and they were registered to the set ahead of me in the registry.

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "I thought the whole purpose of the registry was to show off, share, blah blah blah?"

No, the purpose of the registry is to promote sales of coins in PCGS slabs.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve- I should have said the whole purpose of PARTICIPATING in the registry is to show off blah blah blah.....image I wasn't considering why PCGS created the registry, only why collectors would chose to hide their set.image
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I currently have the 6th finest set in that category and not only do I show which coins I have, but I have pictures for most of them too!

Tom

The Killian Family Collection
    Tom

• Options
    I agree that people should let other people see what is in their collection,
    but I am interested in the comment about the pictures. I haven't bothered
    to put any pictures up (of course my sets are no where near the finest!) Is
    it a negative stigma not to show pictures, and if so, is it easier to take photos
    or to just scan the slab?
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Because #2 wants to be #1 and #1 wants to stay there.

But without knowing what #1 and #2 are, nobody else really cares.

Open All Sets - And ADD PICTURESimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Welcome Robert Getty!

It is easier to take scans than photos, but they ususally don't come out as well.

We all just love to look at nice coins. Some of us even like to look at super worn, almost without detail coins image So we, hopefully in a friendly way, encourage people to get images of their most interesting looking coins and add them to their sets.