Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1981 Fleer Variation and Error Cards

I was checking the registry on the 1981 Fleer Baseball Set but it doesn't list any information on it as to variations, errors both left and corrected, etc.

Does anyone know of any articles on this, since I have alot of these cards but don't remember the different variations, etc.

I'd like to have them graded for a set on the registry. Since PSA doesn't list any variations, I'd like to make a comment if I send one in with a variation or error.

Dale
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    You might try one of the annual Beckett books. On the set listing, they might at least mention what the error or variation is. I can tell you that most of '81 Fleer's problems were mispellings. LOTS of mispellings. There might be the odd "right player, wrong picture" card and I know for sure there's a Tim Flannery reversed negative.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Dale:

I recently sent in to PSA a #5 Mike Schmidt card that has the Portrait picture (from his #640 card). I tried to list it as a variation -- but am not sure if PSA will slab it as such. I hope that they do. If you remind me, I will be happy to let you know the results when my submission is returned.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • I am dealing with getting my Steve Carlton's slabbed/re-slabbed with the proper variations. It is a little bit painful, as the population database will not reflect the true population for those variations. My 1981 Fleer #6 Carlton has 3 variations, and if you were to look, the 'Lefty of Front' has 1 graded as a true variation (that I know of) and the rest are 'unknown', graded before PSA recognized the card had a variation. This is definitely an issue, since any card that has not been graded as a variation can be entered into the Registry as the default given to it. I tested that with a card I had without a variation, and it could be entered into the Registry with under the default 'Lefty on Front' variation.

BJ and Gayle have been great in trying to add the cards and work out the bugs. Unfortunately, the 'variation confusion' will not be resolved by PSA in the real near future.

Bottom line -
    1. Find out what the variations are.
    2. Mark the variations clearly when submitting them, (ex. '#6 Steve Carlton, 1066 on back').
    3. Email setregistry@collectors.com when the cards are graded and have them add the variations to the registry.

Again, keep in mind that it is not perfect, but they are trying to get it all corrected.
    Always looking for 1967 OPC's.
  • Welcome to the boards onlyme63!

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Onlyme:

Welcome to the boards -- nice to see someone who also collects Steve Carlton cards. I only try to collect his Phillies cards -- but you've put together a very nice run, I must say. Congrats.

My latest acquisition is a 1974 Topps Stamps Steve Carlton PSA 9 card -- talk about hard to find! Those stamps are frequently miscut.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Wayne and MS, thanks for the warm welcome!

MS, that Stamp is not an easy one indeed... I have not graded mine, but it won't be a PSA 9, I can say that.
    Always looking for 1967 OPC's.