Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Topps Munson PSA 9

Did this just pop into the population? Mr. Renaud has added it to his set, but I didn't see any mention of it's existence here. Must have been a pretty penny.

Chris is putting together a truly impressive 71 set (read: jealous), among his other impressive sets.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    If the Munson 9 in fact exists I WANT A SCAN ASAP...boy what a card!!!

EOMINT
  • Options
    It exists!

It just appeared on the PSA pop report.

WOW! Congratulations Chris
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options

<< <i>If the Munson 9 in fact exists I WANT A SCAN ASAP...boy what a card!!!

EOMINT >>

I PM'ed Chris to see if he has a scan. There is no scan in his 71 set.

Mark
  • Options
    And why is this card so infrequently found? A PSA 8 went for $400.00 last week. Which is more than any HOF'er in the set. I can't imagine grading out commons in this set. Talk about self abuse. (Please help the PSA exec's, and grade out all commons so they can make their Lexus payment).

A card like that (PSA 9) would be too hot to handle, even if I was building a set, I would sell the card to earn cash.
    Maybe we'll see it soon
  • Options
    Yeah, that was my Munson 8 that sold last week. Shoulda gone for more image

That card is either off centered, beaten up, print defects, or a combination of all three
  • Options
    any guesses as to what a 9 would sell for???
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    A couple grand maybe. Any guess is pure speculation.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Being a 71 set collector, I also would like to see a scan. I second other comments that the Munson is a tough card for many reasons. Also adding to its appeal (and price) is the fact it has a great action shot (looks to be Joe Rudi sliding into home) and has the vertical pose. I am not a Yankee fan but this would be one of my all time favorite cards.
  • Options
    well, WHERE'S THE SCAN???
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Since you guys are so desperate for a 71 TM scan.
    here ya go!

Opening BID only $4.99.
    Enjoy.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I will try to post a scan later today after I get some free time in the office

Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    Okay everyone, how do I upload the scan now that I have it on my computer.

Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    chris,
    i believe you save in your documents first. then you will reply to thread and at the bottom just hit attach files and it will go to your computer, i think .
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Well here goes, first attempt to see if the scan will work
  • Options
    How do you get the scan in the text box rather than just as a file attachment
  • Options
    Chris,
    If I understand the question I believe you have to change your signature line, just guessing. What a card!

John
    Collector Focus

• Options
    That card is UNBELIEVEABLE.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    i think you have to have the image file stored somewhere on the internet; then when you make a post, you click on the picture icon and when the prompt comes up, paste the link to the image in the box.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I wanted to scan in a picture the way that membe carew4me did

thanks

chris
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Here ya go!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Thanks for posting my scan but how did you do that?

Thanks

Chris
  • Options
    That scan made my day, what a card!
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for posting my scan but how did you do that?

Thanks

Chris >>

Here is how

Nice card of one of my childhood heros!

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Chris:

Randy cheated and hosted the image on his webpage, thus allowing him to do that. You need some server space somewhere on the 'Net to do that successfully.

As for the card -- I think I am blinded by the contrast and brightness of the borders. AMAZING!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    A sweet card. Looks like a ten to me!!

aconte
  • Options
    Well I do not have free space on a server, so I have another interesting card I just picked up and added to my set.

Thanks for whoever brings it into the box

Chris
  • Options

WOW!!!

Finally someone nailed the beast!!!!!

Skys the limit for that is a awesome example...

Congrats Chris....
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Amazing card, thanks for sharing.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I thought all 1971 Rose PSA 9s were immediately bumped to 10s...image
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Let's see if this works:

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Chris -- You are making us jealous!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Chris -

I want the story behind the Munson...did you buy it raw and have it graded, how did it happen...it is just incredible, not to minimize the Rose which is also a beauty but the Munson takes the cake...

EOMINT
  • Options
    I bought it from a dealer from my original home state of Michigan who contacted me as he knew that I was a big fan of the early 70's sets, and he had just gotten it graded a few weeks ago. These cards are expensive, but it feels a bit better given their beauty spending the money for 71 as compared to 70. The Rose card is actually a little cleaner as the Munson has a few small green dots (you can see them in the scan) whereas the Rose does not.
  • Options
    The card was actually shipped to me from Kurtz Cards so it is possible that the person in Michigan was just the broker.
  • Options
    The Rose is from Steve Peckovich
  • Options
    can i ask how much the munson went for...im dying to know!
  • Options
    the Munson is Amazing!! Congratulations image
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>I can't imagine grading out commons in this set. Talk about self abuse. (Please help the PSA exec's, and grade out all commons so they can make their Lexus payment). >>

how much do you think psa profits from a card? 50¢?1.00?i can't imagine after all their expenses are paid and with the specials going on its much more.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Chris

Phenominal card !
  • Options
    That Rose is phenominal, a true beauty. The Munson is very nice too, but it seems like it has quite a bit of "peppering" in the black around Yankees and to me the bottom right corner looks touched just a wee bit. Overall a sweet card,but not as high end as the Rose.Congrats Chris!! You must have VERY DEEP POCKETSimage
    yet another demented 1971 Topps collector
  • Options
    My sources tell me the Munson went for well in excess of 5K...big card, big money....
  • Options
    There is slight peppering around the Yankees name, but the corner seems fine when I look at the actual card, but I agree the Rose is nicer and could have been a 10 if not for some minute border wear on the left of the card.