Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

75 Schmidt PSA 9

Had to pay almost a grand for it but boy I love this card, had been looking for it for a long time...always has centering and printing problems...as usual I had to fight tooth and nail w/ 55Bowman and RedSoxJeff to get it!

EOMINT

Comments

• Options
    So how about a picture of your newest trophy.
    I need that 69 Bench ASimage

• Options
    EOMINT,

Congrats on getting an awesome card! Sure would have looked good in my collection :-)
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I was watching that card - Congrats! I was not going to bid, just wanted to see who was going to win - I am on the Schmidt registry and just want to stay in the top five.

Are you registered on the set? Once again - Congrats

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card! I wish I could of afforded that one.

75 Schmidt - NICE Psa 9

aconte
  • Options
    I see somebody already posted a scan of the auction so I'll post a scan of the mini I have instead...now I have the pair...you just dont see these come up that often.

EOMINT
  • Options
    A grand for a 75 card.......WOW Congrats on your card!!!!
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    DSL got a 9? Who'd of thunk it...

Seriously, great card. I think that is about what Marc S paid for his awhile ago...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Nice looking, no doubt.

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Eric> It looks like an exceptionally clean card with what look to be four very nice corners. All I can say however is after sending in a few hundred 75s, L/R centering like that almost always comes back to me in an 8 holder. I'm sure it measures out to within tolerance, but so do most of the 8s I get back for centering.

I certainly don't mean to minimize the card as it's very nice. You just don't see many 75 Schmidt's that clean.
    Enjoy!

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I see that Marc was the bridesmaid on this one at $987. Wow!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭

<< <i>DSL got a 9? Who'd of thunk it...

• Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

We are talking about a 1975 PSA 9...not a 1955 PSA 9...right?

John
  • Options
    you got that right. A 1975 Schmidt PSA 9 (a really nice one) for $1,000.00.

• Options

RETRACTION....

I meant convey that sniping could of saved some dollars.

John
  • Options
    Nice card! The L/R centering looks fine to me, easily within tolerance. Very nice eye appeal!
  • Options
    What about the T/B, how does that measure up?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

As mentioned before this 75 Schmidt PSA 9 closed for almost the exact same amount that 55bowman (marc) paid for his a few months back. The funny thing is i remember a few guys then questioning the price just as we have tonite.
  • Options
    check...the bid history.

wouldnt you want to protect your investment?

John
  • Options
    True.

aconte
  • Options

<< <i>We are talking about a 1975 PSA 9...not a 1955 PSA 9...right? >>

I was thinking a similar thought Basilone.

Who said the card market is dead anyway? image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Edited to remove late-night ramblings and extreme responses.

EOMINT -- Congratulations on such a great pickup! You should be quite proud to own such a card -- with a tremendously low population, the 1975 Topps Schmidt #70 PSA 9 MINT is absolutely his hardest regular issue card to obtain in high-grade. And, in fact, at least 60% of the available population of this card is presently accounted for in private collections. Hopefully it will be a treasure that you will appreciate for a long time!

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>I resent the implication that I was bidding up the card merely to protect my investment >>

Marc-

Not sure how to respond but here it goes.

First of all...I am not sure where I spoke negatively of your Mike Schmidt collection. Your collection is one that all player collectors should look up to. I do not understand from my posts where you feel I said you were crazy for collecting high end MS cards. My favorite player is Willie Stargell....we went to games as kids in approx the same era....I know how you feel about your favorite player....I wish I had a tenth of the collection for Stargell that you have for Schmidt.

Secondly....I was just looking at the bid history of the item.

You placed the following bids.

55bowman(534) $666.00 Jan-24-03 13:36:55 PST
    55bowman(534) $609.00 Jan-24-03 13:36:47 PST
    55bowman(534) $577.00 Jan-24-03 13:36:34 PST
    55bowman(534) $513.00 Jan-24-03 13:36:26 PST
    55bowman(534) $444.00 Jan-24-03 09:35:05 PST

You mention that you would gladly pay $600-$750 a pop for the card...so I can see your reasoning on the bids above....IM NOT ACCUSING YOU OF RUNNING UP THE AUCITON WITH THESE BIDS.

But then you placed another bid:

55bowman(534) $987.00 Jan-26-03 19:44:25 PST

According to the dollar figures you presented in your last post this seems to exceed $600-$750.

I was merely responding to the post by Yzerman19 that you paid a similar amount (approx $1k) for the same card several months ago.

Furthermore, you have even posted yourself that in the past...you have attempted to corner the market on certain MS cards...so the idea that you MAY be protecting your investment and/or the value of rare Schmidt cards is not out of the realm of possiblities.

I apologize for the implication that the ONLY REASON you bid a very high top-all was to protect your investment...we all know you collect MS....I do not think anyone would blame a collector for protecting his or her collection (what does the board think?). I cannot say for certain that your purchase a few months earlier had anything to do bidding patterns on this card (as Im not in your head).

Once again...I was merely looking at the information presented in the bid history.

I apologize for any confusion.

John

• Options
    << I resent the implication that I was bidding up the card merely to protect my investment. >>

Even if you were, Marc, who cares! The last thing you need to do is to explain and justify your bids in an auction.

• Options

I agree...I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to protect their investment. I do not know what the big deal is here.

John
  • Options
    Ironranger> "The L/R centering looks fine to me, easily within tolerance. Very nice eye appeal!"

I would agree that it's within tolerance. . .but when I send cards with centering like that, they almost always come back to me in 8 holders. At 97%+ complete, I do have some frame of reference on 75T 8s and 9s.

Mike
  • Options
    The 75 Schmidt is considered by many to be one of the best to have. On the local Philadelphia
    area cable sports channel (Comcast sports) that card has been shown (briefly at times) a
    handful of times. It is a card that is very tough to find in mint condition.

My main points are this:

If I owned the card in Psa 9 I would bid the card up and see no problem doing so. It's not like
    I would get hurt if I won the auction. That card is not found too often in mint grade. And like
    MS states most are in private collections. I think a smart move is to bid up a card like this.

Second, if my red man purchases did not take up most of my monthly card spending $$$, I
    would pay at least $1,000 if not close to $1,500 for that card. Right now I just can't do that.

Just wanted to explain my previous post!

aconte
  • Options
    mcastaldi, just curious as to what you think this card's L/R centering measures. I measured it at better than 60/40. Since the card is slanted in the holder, it is a bit difficult to determine. I have seen many vintage 9's with worse centering. What is the tolerance you typically find on '75's?

BTW, if I feel compelled to measure a card's centering to see if it is within tolerance, that in itself is a good indication that I should pass on the card. With the Schmidt card, I would have no reservations whatsoever. It looks like a great card!

• Options
    Ironranger> With my 75 submissions, if a card is AT ALL off from 60/40 it comes back in an 8 holder - Even though the grading standards give room to allow for 65/35 on PSA9 NQs. From the scan the card looked to me to be betwen 60/40 and 65/35 - within spec, but not necessarily a card I would have preferred and one that typically does not come back as a 9 for me.

As always, everyone's experience is different. The fact that DSL has a reputation for occasionally selling marginal-for-grade examples would also give me pause on this auction.

Mike
  • Options
    Does anyone know who dslsports is and where they get their cards? I spoke to a few folks who mentioned that dslsports is "near" PSA at Newport Beach, but I have no further information on this seller.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    My understanding is that the vast majority of the stuff they get is in the form of unopened cases. Given the amount of "leftover" I've purchased from them over the years, I believe that this is a reasonable assumption. (Leftover being all the NM/MT cards not worth grading in huge bulk lots, for example).

Heck -- I can trace thirteen separate and unique Mike Schmidt PSA 10's (and that's just multiple issues -- not multiple copies of the same card in PSA 10) that I have purchased from them. Having thrown thousands of dollars their way for a wide variety of graded and ungraded cards over the past three years, I can tell you that they are surprisingly consistent, with a 99% satisfaction rate.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    So what you're basically saying is that a guy sending in ten's of thousands of cards directly from unopened material has a better chance of getting back 9's and 10's than a collector who sends in the best example he was able to find from a dealer on Sunday of a 3 day show. That's not right. I'm going to PRO.
  • Options
    Waittil

Absolutely!!! That dealer has already gone through his cards and plucked out the mint cards to have them graded himself - especially if it had a shot at gemint. Of course you're going to have a better shot at 9's and 10's from unopened material than from dealer's tables.

Wayne

Link to Pro Grading

1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    waitilltheytrytosell = DSL Sports
  • Options
    You're kidding Mikeschmidt - right?

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i> 90109257 -> 90109304 (48 cards) were all 1976 Palmers, and 6 of these got 10's, the rest were mostly 9's with a few token 8's. >>

i would love to know were they get their 76's. they just hit ebay with about 35 psa 9's of course pretty much all the ones i need.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

MS- is that 100% accurate?

Waittill - is MS correct?

Wayne - glad someone other than myself feels that way

John
  • Options

Guys,

Well my comment is this and not to be taken serious but just to bulge your brain...

Where does dsl get the 70's product could it possibly be from CU...Hence ad from the
    SMR two years ago looking for 70's unopened and have million cash to spend!!!!!!

Honestly do you think CU purchased all the product to sit on for ten years while the market
    explodes with 10's...Do you think they are sitting on it wasting an oppurtunity or do they
    see a pop of 25 psa 10's ten yrs down the road a investment...Any stockholder willing to
    explain this!!!!!!!!

Just 2 cents!!!!

Matt
  • Options
    huh?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    they wouldn't submitt to bgs if that was the case.
    why would they send a card that looks like this to be graded is my question?. i wouldn't send that in if it was the last ungraded card on the planet.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Straw,

Link inactive, as for sending to bgs good point...But different cards different market...

Then your talking grading fee verse profit...BGS in newer cards profit more across the
    board...

Matt
  • Options
    Collector Focus

• Options
    matt since i got you here all to myself. i bid on your 81 jax and stargell do you buy chance have a carter,gossage,dawson and garvey in a psa 9?
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Straw,

Off the top of my head all of the above just depends how nice you want and willing to spend...

But as for being in 9 holder yes I've got extras except maybe the gossage...

Matt
  • Options
    straw,

wow i don't no why probably for the fact somebody will buy it...
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I've sent in cards before that I knew would OC. If the 9oc price is higher than the ungraded selling price plus the $5 submission fee, you can make a couple bucks per card. I've never sent in anything that ugly though.
  • Options
    I was just kidding about the waitill comment -- Sorry, I thought a bunch of us here remembered the running joke about waittill's identity...

As for the sitting on product -- part of me truly believes that some of David Hall's prize pieces were "purchased back", sat on for a few years, and then auctioned off in the past year or two after prices had skyrocketed. Just a theory of course -- but quite a few advanced collectors thought that that may apply to some of the vintage 10's that surfaced again for a second time last Spring.
  • Options
    waitill = mikeschmidt
  • Options
    Shh!