Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SGC's reslabbed to PSA

Sent in 7 SGC's to be graded by PSA. Here's the stats:

5 of the 7 converted exactly. SGC 84=PSA 7, and SGC 88=PSA 8.

1 that was an SGC 84 got a PSA 8 OC. I was a little worried about the centering, but thought the overall card appeal would warrant a straight 7.

The last card that was an SGC 84 got a PSA 7 ST. I knew it had the minimal wax stain on the back, but according to the PSA grading standards, that is allowable for a PSA 7. Anyone else gotten an (ST) for VERY slight wax lately??

Overall I'm happy with the submission and saved some money buying cheap SGCs to get reslabbed by PSA.

JasP24
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    <Anyone else gotten an (ST) for VERY slight wax lately??>

My 1964 Topps hockey set is littered with very slight wax stains. Overall, I think your submission shows pretty good consistency between PSA & SGC.

The 8oc - SGC 84 demonstrates the major difference in philosophy between the two companies.

Regards,

Alan

• Options
    Maybe this is a stupid question but did you break open the SGC's before sending them in? Will PSA even accept them that way?
    Working on 1962 mid grade Mars Attacks.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    No, you must break them yourself. SGCs are one of the easiest to pop though.

JasP24
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    thanks JASP24 - I always like to hear results. I might try a few SGC cross overs based on the last few posts like this.

KKBB
  • Options
    Yeah, I have done well with the crossovers. Nearly always straight across.

As has been said, be sure of the centering before cracking the SGC slab.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Check this post out:

Stain qualifier
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Zardoz. As long as you pay attention to the centering (particularly on 88s and higher), they should cross successfully. I have an SGC 92 from the 1969 set that has bad print smear on the reverse. I'm worried about getting an 8 on that one. I should find out the results in another week or so. I'll post the results of the three SGC cards I crossed when available.

Has anyone else had problems with SGC cards crossing over due to print flaws or is my 1969 SGC92 an aberration?
  • Options
    Second set of grades ALSO came in today..All where also crossovers.

Invoice # 872161

1948 BOWMAN 61 ALEX WOJCIECHOWICZ was an SGC 84 got a PSA 6. I had a feeling this one would not get a 7. It was centered well, but the corners were not up to PSA 7 snuff. But I paid PSA 6 SMR for the card so I'm still happy with it.
    1950 BOWMAN 43 MARION MOTLEY was an SGC 84 got a PSA 6. I honestly thought this one had a shot at an 8. I'll have to get it back to take another look at it. But only paid $5 more than PSA 6 SMR for it, so no harm done.
    1952 BOWMAN LARGE 85 ANDY ROBUSTELLI was an SGC 84 got a PSA 8 OC. Just like stated earlier in this thread, SGC doesn't take extra grade points off for centering, and I honestly thought it would probably grade 7 OC. The 8 was a nice surprise.
    1957 TOPPS 124 TOMMY McDONALD was an FGS 8 got a PSA 7. Thought it would get a PSA 7 from the start, and got this card DIRT cheap.
    1973 TOPPS 343 JACK YOUNGBLOOD was an SGC 88, got a PSA 9. HUGE surprise. I knew this card was nice, an easy 8, but didn't think I would pull a Mint 9 from it. Since I paid LESS than PSA 8 SMR, I made out with this one.
    1973 TOPPS 322 DAN DIERDORF was an SGC 92, got a PSA 9. I had hopes this would crossover to a 9, but was expecting an 8. Paid LESS than SMR PSA 8 for this one as well.

I think when buying cards on the internet it's better to get a descent crossover SGC if you can get it cheap(which you usually can). Rather than buying a raw card and hoping there are no secret dings or stains. This completes my crossover to a 100% PSA collection. Now only crossovers are the ONLY thing SGC are good for.

JasP24
  • Options
    you don't have to break them out, PSA will as long as you give them permission.
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I have done well with the crossovers. Nearly always straight across.

As has been said, be sure of the centering before cracking the SGC slab

your logo needs hair!image
  • Options
    No, you dont have to break them open. As long as you give permission in writing and waive liability for them they will break them open.

I just sent in som GAI's for regrade. Here is my results:

1933 goudey Sports Kings Red Grange GAI2=PSA3
    1935 Natl Chicle Clark Hinkle GAI4=PSA4
    1952 Bowman Joe Stydahar GAI5=PSA6

All in All I happy with the crossovers.

If your not in the Hall of Fame, You are not a Hall of Famer.
    Always looking for PSA 8+ Rookies of NFL Hall of Famers
  • Options
    What is it about SGC graded cards? At least half the time I break them out to convert to either PSA or BVG/BGS they are sent back ungraded with either evidence of trimming or some sort of restoration. WHY ? Are the graders at SGC incompitent or inferior? It has happened to me an alarming # of times and I have become hesitant about purchasing anything in a SGC holder.
  • Options
    I've never had anything returned as ungradable. I would think there is more chance you will buy a raw card that has been trimmed than if you buy an SGC. I've been looking at GAIs as well, but havent found anything that would add to my collection.

JasP24

• Options
    7orbetter
    Please provide evidence of what you said--personally, I find it hard to believe.
    Todd
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings