Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Competative battle in Pr Kennedy Half Dollars

Its my opinion that during the next year, you will find at least 4 sets changing

positions as all are very close numerically. As a few pop 1 coins are made, the positions will

be a changing. In play are Jay Ross, EBL, Scheibe and Honneycut. Of course, there is always

the possibility of a silent set or two, waiting in the wings to blow us away.

Nothing like a hot contest to get the blood moving. It would be nice if all were to show their cards

so to speak, but I understand the reasons for closing ones set. Dont want your competetor

to know too much about ones set I guess. It may be foolish on the part of three set owners

keeping our sets open, but I kind of like that type of play. Bear (Jay Ross Collection)
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me thinks bear has a trick or two up his sleeve. . . image

peacockcoins

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear,

I'm happy if you sell your duplicates coins for me. image

Edson
  • Options
    Edson - I dont have any duplicates for my Kennedy Proofs( had to sell them when I bought my upgrades).

However my Proof Washington quarter sets will be auctioned on E-Bay By R&I Coins around the

end of the week. Lots and lots of PR-70DC there.

Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Bear,

I thought your proof Washington set sold in July last year? You have more?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Some coins were held back from the 1950 -64 Proof Wash Set and the

1964-1998 Pr Wash set is new on the auction market. This set does not rank in the top 5 sets because

it is missing the 1966 and the 1971 coins.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    PM sent.

Edson
  • Options
    The trouble with remaining in top place is the cost in purchasing upgrades , which are in the

four figures, sometimes in the highest range. If I could figure a way to get

my wifes engagement ring off of her paw, I might be able to hock it and buy some more coins.

But Mrs Bear is awfully smart, and even when she sleeps, I cant get near that ring. Bear
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Pretty impressive. Bear! Just how would you improve such a set? I stand in awe.
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    I would also like to commend you on your set and wonder if you would share your secrets to success.

Casabrown
  • Options
    There are several ways to improve my set. One is to obtain deeper cameo specimins

in the same grade. Even though it does not increase your score, it improves the overall quality.

Make or purchase Pop 1 coins as they may be made in the near future. Finally, I have been looking for

a PR 70 DC clad 1995 for several years. I was just a little late on the last two sold. I rely not only on

several dealers, but on the kind information of Forum members who give me a heads up when

upgrade Registry coins are available. I started assembling my set in 1992 with the bulk of it

purchased in 1998. In my opinion, anyone trying to start a set today to reach the top 5 sets

would find the task most frustrating and extremely expensive. The only way to obtain the

needed PR-70DC specimins and SMS Proofs, would be as top sets are liquidated thru sale or auction.

In order to

raise the cash to make a run for first place, required me to sell my Proof Wash sets as well as

my duplicate coins. Most of us collectors must sell something in order to buy something. As with

most of us working stiffs, we each set our goals and dreams, what ever they may be and

do what is necessary to achieve that goal. Of course, it is very helpful to have a kind and

understanding spouse.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Obviously all pr70dcam would improve your score. Short of making them yourself, upgrading is nearly impossible, they just don't exist. I can see where this could cause elation as well as distress. I hope your success far outweighs your concern for improvement. Great set of coins!
  • Options
    Bear,

Congratulations.

Your explanation is fantastic and absolute truly regarding the newcomers like me, Larry and Charlie. All of us started our sets recently, 2 years in my case, and actually looks to us very complicated any upgrades, be for the difficulty of locating the coins and when located for the value of each one of them.

I’m very happy when I see my set inside of the Top 5, but, as part of my personality, always still trying one step more, as almost all collectors, I suppose. That's the beautiful part.

100% right also about the understanding spouse.

Is important you know that we feel well to see your set, so close of the “perfect set”.

On behalf of the diligent newcomers, thank you very much for your advices,

Edson

PS – I suggest that coins POP 1 will be designated by UN as “Patrimony of the Humanity” image

Edsonimage
  • Options
    the cost of upgrading.....has exceeded the capability of most collectors.....Im sitting at #6 in the 65-98 proof washingtons........to improve....I jump into the 70DCAMS or high grade SMS series....Im sure as more coins become available prices may be realized that might be within affordable range of the "average" collector........this is a hobby, not a business...but as noted.....you have to make a decision to sell sets or duplicates to improve....I sold off my SBA and Eisenhower set....to improve my washington and jefferson collections.....now looking hard at what sets do I really want to improve....and then compare to the cost of upgrades.....am I happy with improving to high end DCAM or a point increase....with several hundred dollars for 70DCAM...and certainly more for the SMS series.....only time will tell..right now I simply enjoy the search....and hoping that when I find a coin or two that I really want...I can afford it!!!..cheers