Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Interesting Honeycutt Movements

I just saw that Honeycutt has added a coin to his Kennedies and, all of a sudden, his sets are not viewable. These sets have been moribund for a while and, it has been observed, in many sets Honeycutt just needs to add a couple of cheap coins to vault to the top of the list.

Seeing these rumblings make me wonder if we will see a shake-up in a number of modern sets soon. . . .
"The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Damn, beat me by two minutes!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Ah, finally. I have been wondering for years (literally years) when and/or if he would finish his Proof Jeff set by buying the early proofs. But he has a lot of sets so may be focusing on his Kennedies.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Carl: We CAN hope. . . . image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

• Options
    Everyone prepare to move down one !!image
    My proof Jeffs
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Honeycutt stirs? Story of the year ... It has been my suspicion that he long has had the few coins he needs to complete all of those sets, and vault to the top or near it, and has deliberately decided not to do so, for whatever reason.

How is this for a scenario: Honeycutt has not posted complete sets, even though he has them, because he fears putting himself out there at No. 1 would make others come after him and attempt to top him and perhaps succeed. Now, Honeycutt has decided it is time to sell into a bull market for registry coins. He closes off his sets to viewing, gradually adds the great coins in his possession and emerges with who knows how many No. 1 current and all-time finest sets. He then quickly runs them to auction with Heritage, B&M, etc., billed as the Honeycutt Sale and featuring coins from X number of No. 1 registry sets ... a killer sale at top prices with big profits.

Not out of the realm of reason or do I have a great imagination?
  • Options
    And, in addition to the JFKs not being viewable, add early Jeff proofs to the list ... here it comes, just as outlined above! image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    RGL - While possible, not probable.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Drats ... I have been too long without the patented Bear Growl of Approval. Oh well, another day, perhaps. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    RGL - I dont want you to feel bad on a Monday, so as a back up award you are hereby

granted the "GRUNT OF GRATITUDE" which while less coveted, is never the less a pleasing

award for a cold winters night. This award is for an interesting hypothises. Perhaps times will

measure the merit of its metal. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    A Grunt of Gratitude, eh? I won't even go into the images that summons forth! But, thanks nonetheless for the "B" Merit Badge. image
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Three other possible scenarios:

1) He has been waiting for PCGS to loosen up their standards again.
    2) He forgot his password and has been unable to update his sets.
    3) He has a life outside of coin collecting and the Registry (gasp!! is that possible?)
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he is tired of everyone talking about him, and gawking over his sets.

I certainly drool over his 1967 MS69DCAM Roosevelt dime, pop 1/0.

I mean, come on , where does one accumulate some of the coins that he has.

Stop drooling and start building, thats my motto.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    I don't know any collector who tires of others drooling over his or her sets! image

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Do you people really monitor the registries so closely as to notice when somebody has a change to their set??

...and Ithought I didn't have a life image

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    His proof Franklin set hasn't moved in quite awhile. He's got everything in DCAM except for the 1950, and he modified the set description saying he recently submitted a half dozen nice NGCs and went o-fer.

Linkified
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, talk about low quality. He's in 35th place all-time and I could use (5) of his coins for upgradesimage
  • Options
    Honeycutt closed his set of Barber quarter proofs from view, but hasn't added a coin for a really long time. I hope that he starts collecting these coins again because more collector interest will drive up the price of my coins.

He and I have the only current sets. I hope that I am making him sweat a little.image

I opened my set to view because I have to stop collecting for a little while. I just purchased a 1915 key date in PR66; that will be the last for a little while. Anyone hoarding coins that they think I might need are going to have to hold on to them for a while. I hope that they don't mind having that much cash held into inventory. This will also give Honeycutt a little time to catch up if he wants.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    First, an explanation: I have a "life" and am not a "Honeycutt follower." However, I do admire his collections and a year or so ago I was thrilled when I topped him in the proof Washington registry and then went on to have the #1 sete. My set is now sold.

I was checking that Registry to see another collector's set and "lo and behold" Honeycutt was now #1 and my set on the all time finest list was dropped from #3 to #4.

I was filled with interest -- what did Honeycutt add to complete his Washington proofs? I remembered he needed a 1936. But -- you guessed it -- there is no access to his set listing.

That's not fair (Hmmm).

Oh well, congratulations and cheers, alan mendelson

ps still looking for rainbow toned washington proofs
  • Options
    I also have admired his proof nickels and just noticed that he has posted in the 65' to date set {with varieties} with the 65 still missing

WOW WHAT A SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My proof Jeffs