Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Hey Merc heads & dealers, Houston Money Show report

I went to the Houston Money show today. Got there around noon. About half of the dealers were gone, and half of the rest were packing. Give me a break guys, the show was supposed to be open until 3:00PM. I do not understand these dealers. Fly 1500 miles, hotels, meals, table expenses, it cost a darned lot of money per hour to set up at a show. Why leave early. There are guys like me who couldn't make it until noon on Sunday. (Work on Friday, 7 year old son's make up birthday party on Saturday) I do shows for a living(not coin), and let me tell you, I never pack until they run the public out of the show & even then I take my time. There have been times I have done $10,000.00-$15,000.00 after the show closed, just to other dealers who have been too busy to shop. Even spent an hour unpacking once to find a $3,500.00 item for a dealer.

Needless to say, the show was somewhat of a dissappointment to me. I went with 2 pockets full of money, and came home the same way. Found a nice PCGS 39-D in 67FB that I bought(Ken, you will like this one, nice toning image), found a nice PCGS 35-D MS65FB, but the dealer wanted $125.00 over grey sheet for it. I offered $50.00 over, not only did he decline, he was snooty and rude to boot. Saw a real nice PCGS 28-D in 65FB for $2,000.00. Finally decided to up the ante and went back to buy it, and the dealer was gone! Saw a nice PCGS 20-S in 65 no bands for $390.00 which I probably should have bought but didn't. Not much good early stuff in full bands, not much early stuff period that I saw.

It was funny, lots of ACG stuff on the front row of the show, but really no where else. Lots and lots of raw stuff, I looked at a few things, bought a nice AU58 1920-S for my raw set.

Did not get to meet anyone from the boards, which was a real dissappointment.

Weather was bad, cold and rainy, which probably kept a lot of the public out. Dealers should still stay until the show closes. Really was not worth my time to go.

Regards,

Wayne

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com

Comments

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow a great report !!!!!!!

i myself have found for coins that have great exceptional eye appeal and are scarce and are good values of course all this is based on my eye and thoughts also coins that are currently popular

that usually more ofter than not sheet prices will not buy a coin , sometimes not even close to it!!

the only time i will mention sheets is if i am buying or selling a coin to the publisher of THE sheet!

then i think it is okie to quote from sheets!

for me a sheet of paper with printed prices on it does not buy or sell popular great excpetionally eye appealling coins nor does it understand the market for great coins and is not open to answering questions

sincerely michael
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    Hi Michael,

I understand, but Whitlow has what looks to be an equal coin on their website for $65.00 over greysheet. Since I won $500.00 on "the game" I just might buy it. The thing, is if the dealer would have taken a little extra time from his packing up to explain to me why he thought his coin was PQ and worth more than grey sheet, instead of being haughty and stuck up, I might have reconsidered. He was from California, and obviously does not understand Texas hospitality. His loss. The deal was really over for me because of his attitude. A real shame, as his wife was a nice lady and very helpfull.

Hey Ken, get in here!

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • I am glad to hear the report. I ran into a dealer like that at FUN...what a waste of a good spot at a major show. But, like you said, the dealing was over the second he opened his rude mouth. I wonder how some even make it, must be because they rip so many unsuspecting people off, the can afford to do these types of shows. Enough of that, sounds like just a bad weather day, and being up against the Super Bowl didnt help.
    Well, I am glad I didnt go all the way down there now, I was about to on Saturday, but had other things in the fire. Thanks for the report, they are always helpful.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • wayne:

that guy at the front with the ACG slabbed stuff moved up there because the guy that was there did not show on sunday.

the show was pretty good but I have learned that the coin business just likes to finish up on Saturday. The best stuff is there the opening day anyway.

I bought just about all the nice toned Morgans I could find and then looked for other stuff on Saturday. Sunday was the day my kids came with me to let them dig through the darkside stuff. They like the big and shiny ones (they are 2 and 4). Daddy likes the big and colorful ones image

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the report...I am a NY dealer interested in the show...have heard both good and bad, my only problem is I book the WESPNEX show in NY conflict on dates..... only excuse for leaving early past Sunday was the superbowl....I agree as a dealer I stay til the end...if I paid for table makes no sense to leave early...but when other dealers leave..works for me I just get more business...thanks again
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    jbsteven, I'm not big on toned coins but that one sure catches my fancy. How much did she set you back?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson