Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

I finally jumped on the Type Set bandwagon

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, I went through my boxes and decided to register eligible coins in the 20th century circulation strike set. Now this is nothing for anyone to worry about as it includes a FR-02 Merc (anyone can get a high grade from the 40's), a AG-03 Barber Quarter and a VF Liberty Nickel (all of my MS coins are in the Liberty Nickel set, finally have a place for the off-center coin).

Now I feel I can be a part of the discussions.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    dd55,

Welcome to the Money Pit! image

Got a question for you, as a Lib Nickel collector.

What do you think of the DCAM pops for the series? I made a DCAM piece about 8 months ago and have been watching the pops since to see how many others would pop up. Since June of 2002 only 4 have been made: 1883, 1891, and 2 for 1909.

Without having first hand knowledge, I might question one or both additions to 1909 as possible upgrade attempts. They are both in PR66.
    Dan
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, you made the 97 in 67DC (you sent me the image). Michael has the 1901 in 67DC (at least he sent me an image of it)

The 1890 and 1891 in PR64DC were both in Heritage auctions. The last Heritage auction had one of the 1909's in 66DC. Northeast had the 1909 in 64DC (and were selling cheap and I missed it or they figured out it was cheap since they put it on Ebay after they told me it was sold.). It is now in a set.

The 1885 in 64DC was on Ebay a couple of times and was mentioned as being offered at a show. One of the two 1883NC in 66DC was sold on Ebay. I have the 65DC, and when it was graded (Feb-Mar 2002) there was only one 66.

The other 1909 in 66DC showed up between now and the September report I have saved. Considering the following graded in CAM for 1909: PCGS 33 total/19 in 66; NGC 43 total/21 in 66, 8 in 67, 3 in 68, this is the most common date in Cameo, so I would bet this is a new coin. May be wrong.

I have not seen one of the 1883's in 66 and now two of the 1909's in 66.

Mint State coins in 67 are easier to track, none have been made in over 4 years!

I am going to place all of my saved pops into a database, and make it so you can do a comparison between months the way Wayne does with Lincolns. After I get the system in place, I will update it monthly. Should be interesting.

• DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    The reason for my curiosity is whether DCAMs are uncommon for the series, or it it's because collectors haven't submitted for the designation. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Otherwise, I suppose time will tell.
    Dan
    I would think they are uncommon.

On my 2/16/2002 report, there were 2 listed. 1883NC in 66 and 1909 in 66 (I think I made the third). In April there were 3 1883's (one new 66) and 2 1909's (the 64 was added). In May the numbers were very close to now. Missing was the 1891, 1897 and 2 1909's. In August we have the 1891 and 1897 added. Only 2 1909's have been added since.

It will take me some time to do a total, so just looking at the 1883 and 1909 for Cameos for report dates:
    2/02, 4/02, 5/02, 8/02, 9/02/ 1/03

1883: 9, 11, 16, 25, 29, 39
    1909: 12, 20, 22, 26, 28, 33

So for these dates there has been a steady increase in Cameo's, but the Deep Cameo's are not really moving. So I would consider them rare.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have passed on a few DCAM or UC Proof Liberty nickels recently due to my concern of the depth of deep cameo on these pieces. One focal point that really bothers me personally is the "V" on the reverse. This is sometimes found with virtually no cameo contrast or very little cameo contrast at all on it -yet a coin can be labeled DCAM or UC. YES, I KNOW IT IS VERY RARE TO ENCOUNTER A LIBERTY NICKEL PROOF WITH STRONG CAMEO ON THE "V", but is there then a different standard applied to Liberty nickel proofs as compared to other series? For example, compare this situation to Three Cent nickel proofs in DCAM. Would it make sense to call a 3 cent nickel DCAM or UC where the numerals on the reverse show no cameo contrast at all? From a "purist" approach, aren't many of the DCAM or UC Liberty nickel proofs "really" only CAMEO? Is this similar to the Lincoln cent proofs from 1950-1958 which are permited to be called cameo even though the reverse can have ZERO cameo contrast at all. Again, from the purist perspective, it bothers me personally image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I passed on a Cameo (not deep cam) where the V wasn't frosted! It was billed as a PQ coin by a full price purveyor of quality coins. I found a really nice one elsewhere, but sold it. That was one of the very few coins I wish I had kept.

Welcome to the type set bandwagon!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I went through my boxes and decided to register eligible coins in the 20th century circulation strike set. Now this is nothing for anyone to worry about as it includes a FR-02 Merc (anyone can get a high grade from the 40's), a AG-03 Barber Quarter and a VF Liberty Nickel (all of my MS coins are in the Liberty Nickel set, finally have a place for the off-center coin).

Now I feel I can be a part of the discussions. >>

Terrific. More competition! image

peacockcoins

Pat, do not fear. In fact if you want to send me a higher grade 1916-D Merc or 1913-S Barber Quarter, I will gladly swap you.
  • Don't forget!

Eisenhower Dollar - Clad (1971-1978)
    Eisenhower Dollar - Silver (1971-1974)
    Eisenhower Dollar - Silver Bicentennial (1976)
    Eisenhower Dollar - Clad Bicentennial (1976)
    Susan B. Anthony Dollar (1979-1999)

Heehee. image
  • Welcome to the Type sets. Will you be looking for the others in low grades as well?
    Keith ™

Supercoin, In my initial thread I had typed

"Now I suppose I will need to get some Ikes and SBAs ugh. They will never let me live it down."

Now you can see why I removed it. But hey, I set is only for cheap stuff. I can buy some cheap PCGS Ikes and SBA's. I do have a set of each anyway, not like I refuse to own them.

Or, I can just not complete the set.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pat, do not fear. In fact if you want to send me a higher grade 1916-D Merc or 1913-S Barber Quarter, I will gladly swap you. >>

Oh, they're the KEYS. Well then!

Now- if it was the "P" mint I'd swap a GEM for your FA02! (Can't quite swing that deal for the "D" though. . .).

peacockcoins