Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My "Indian" Has Met The "Indian Princess"

You guys may remember my 1871 Indian Cent struck in Aluminum (Stewart's icon here). Well, I just bought a (JUDD-1098) 1871 "Indian Princess" Quarter grading PCGS-PR68DCAM!! One of just (3) pattern coins in the entire series currently grading PCGS-PR68 and probably the only pattern coin to ever achieve a PCGS-PR68DCAM grade(?)!!

Needless to say, my "Indian" has just met the "Indian Princess" and she is a "perfect 10" image

I'll try to post a scan of the Indian Princess later this weekend.

And, a special thanks to Rick Kay for locating the princess for me image

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds really nice! I am looking forward to later this weekend when you get the chance to post a scan...
  • Options
    Those patterns coins are awesome. Congrats Mitch. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job! Those are certainly coins you will always be proud to own and share.

I too can't wait for a pic!

peacockcoins

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch
    I saw your new coin at FUN and all I can say is AWESOME! I have never seen nor do I expect to see an aluminum coin that comes close. Congratulations image
    Mark
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Mitch

Is there some way I can use both coins as an image for my icon?
    Maybe in an exotic way ?

Stewart
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart: As long as you use the images together in a "tasteful" way, I would be delighted to make your Indian icon happy! image

But, first, I need to get the scans up - I am having a bit of a problem with my computer tonight and am working on the problem.

Thanks guys for your kind words on my latest acquistion. Boiler - it is amazing to see an aluminum coin in this condition image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitch- If only my pockets were deeper and missing the holes..............image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Well come on, hurry up with the picture. image
  • Options
    Mike: The Princess is upset too. The computer hooked up to the scanner is not cooperating. I'll try to buy another scanner tomorrow (if the traffic from the Superbowl crowds if not unbearable)! In the meantime - how about posting a scan of your favorite coin? image

Wondercoin

• Options
    My I present Mitch's Ladies:

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Bill: Thanks again for presenting the scan and creating the icon of the blinking Indian/Indian Princess image

I was told by Rick that there was some "stuff" on the plastic holder itself when Rick Kay prepared this picture. Also, the depth of deep cameo looks even stronger in person.

This pattern quarter was coined having James Longacre's "Indian Princess" device. This Longacre design was never adopted for regular-issue coinage, but a somewhat similar motif appeared on the trade dollars issued by the Mint in 1873 and later years.

In this coin, Miss Liberty is seated facing left and wearing an Indian headress and carrying a liberty pole with her right hand. Her left hand rests on a globe inscribed LIBERTY. Behind her are (2) flags, one of which shows 13 stars. There is also an arc of 13 stars at the margin. The reverse of the coin shows a wreath of cotton and corn. This particular coin was struck in silver (I estimate around 20 coins minted), copper (I estimate around 10 or so coins minted) and aluminum (I estimate around 6 or 8 coins or so minted).

This is but one of the myriad breathtaking pattern designs of the 19th century that never made it on US Regular-issue coins image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!! That is one of the nicest pattern coins I have ever seen!! They should have used that design. The cameo on it makes it stand right out! I'm very envious.image

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    As Mitch said, there are some scuff marks on the slab which impact the images. This coin is absolutely flawless, breathtaking. When I saw it, I had to buy it, and, as Mitch well knows, I'd take it back in a heartbeat, should he ever decide to sell. Remember that, Mitch, when everyone is beating down your door to get it!!

If my research is correct, Mitch's coin is even rarer than he believes. Both Judd and Pollock list it as an R7 (4-12 struck). Also, according to uspatterns.com, there are "only 3 confirmed." PCGS has graded only 3, a 63, 66 and this. NGC has graded only a 67, which I suspect is PCGS's 66. All indications are High-R7 or R8.

Take good care of my baby...Wasn't that a song from the 50s or 60s?
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Now that is something completely different! Wonderful wondercoin, thanks for giving us a glimpse. I can imagine what it looks like in hand.
  • Options
    "Take good care of my baby...Wasn't that a song from the 50s or 60s?"

Rick: I will and thank you for parting with it. image Also, in your travels, please try to find me the other aluminum 1871 pattern coins that appropriately match the (2) I have. You may be a "neophyte coin dealer", but one heck of a good one!!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Thank you for the compliment. That's a function of dealing with someone like yourself who is very knowledgeable and extremely reasonable. We will find matching patterns, I guarantee you. It may take time, but we'll get them.
  • Options
    "We will find matching patterns, I guarantee you"

DONE DEAL!! image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Don't ever mention those words.