Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A Thread Dedicated To SLQ's

I just posted scans on my www.wondercoin.com website (in the Musuem of Coins) of (3) very special SLQ's I recently acquired for a collector. One is the 1916 pattern SLQ (no initial obverse & special reverse) for which I believe there are (3) known with (2) impounded in the Smithsonian. Another is a wonderfully original and colorful super high grade 1916 in PCGS-MS67FH and the third is one of the very few MS68's in the series (the 1924). Please check them out. image

Are any forum members currently building an SLQ collection? How has difficult has the collection been to build? Without a doubt, this design is one of the most beautiful in all of numismatics.

Wondercoin

PS: If anyone can bring any of the scans over from the website to this thread, it would be much appreciated image
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mitch, it was nice to meet you at FUN. Too bad it was at the bleary-eyed end of a much too long Heritage auction session!

The coins you have in your museum are truly gorgeous, below are the three SLQs you wrote about-imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TomB: Yes, it was great to chat briefly in the wee hours of the morning at the Heritage auction. Are you coming out to Long Beach? Thanks for posting the scans. image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are some awesome SLQs. I generally don't do a year to year set but if I ever did SLQs would be the ones.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

Bill nailed it!

WOW!!!!!!! is right!

Im sorry I didn't get to meet more people at the FUN show but there were some really nice coins!

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • Options
    Mitch:

Not too shabby a group!!! One lucky collector is getting these. I am not building a date set, but experienced difficulty finding even the three type pieces in the grades I wanted.

Greg
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love that pattern! Wish I'd taken the time to view it in person.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Yes, I am still building the set, after 11 years, I did not complete it image Still looking for true Full Head and better strike ones.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    I'd buy that 1924 off ya, but it doesn't have the FH designation, so no go. image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr Weinman certainly was a Great designer of Coins. Three Big winners in 1916. Beautiful coins in each of the designs of which usually one is a collectors All Time Favorite.

Nice Lookers You have there.

Ken
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Mitch,

What an awesome threesome - two incredibly beautiful/high grade pieces and an immensely rare and intriguing one to go along with them.

Since this is a SLQ thread, here is a link to a thread I had started on the subject of FH's vs. non-FH's on the U.S Coin forum a while back.

It might be a bit basic for some of you guys but maybe it will be of some interest, anyway.

FH vs. non-FH Standing Liberty Quarters
  • Options
    Wow, WOW, & WOW!!! imageimageimage

Thanks Mitch

and Mark.

Don

as always
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    Ken:

My apologies if I am wrong, but I don't think Weinman designed the SLQ.

Greg
  • Options
    Greg,
    You are not wrong! The SLQ was designed by Herman A. McNeil (or at least that's what my red book says).

Pete
  • Options
    The 1st coin I bought:

And the jewel of my collection:

Don

my SLQs
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like the 28 the best the 1916 full head 67 is really great and fantastic with the toning!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    Yes I am an SLQ collector too. My email address will testify to that.
    The MS67 1916 is a joy to admire. Who could not love the beauty of
    that super gem. It has all the right stuff. That color is spectacular
    and rarely seen if at all. The 1924 is a sensational piece, they all are. I have no complete set but that has never been my intentions. I have
    never set out to complete a set of anything. I just seek out great coins therefore I have many, many examples of the same coin in a lot of instances and others I simply don't have. I like beautiful specimens
    One of my pretiest pieces is a simple common PCGS MS66 1929 I got at Stack's back in 1977. It is jet black around the edge and into the rim all the way around 360 deg., obverse and reverse. As fine an example of complete peripheral toning as you can get. I also have a real nice high grade PCGS 1919-D. I have a wonderful collection of 1916 quarters all PCGS MS64, most every one a FH, hand picked by me. For every one I have I passed over several others. I will stack up 3 or 4 of them in the collection against some of the best of them because of their gorgeous surfaces and outside toning. It is a real flower garden when they are all laid side by side. I have one Reed Hawn owned and it is nice. I sold several to Jay Cline and half my 16's came from Jay, the other half from private collectors and dealers. One of the best I got from Julian
    Leidman years ago. The SLQ in my opinion is unsurpassed in beauty, the
    best designed coin yet. It is so beautiful that it seems that it was out of place to be put in circulation, just a coin that should have been minted and displayed. If I had a digital camera I'd post a coin or two but you all have posted some coins that have given us all a real treat today.

That ICG67 with the golden toning that sold for $86K a year back was
    previously in a PCGS66 holder.

"location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • Options
    Tom, thanks for getting the photo's onto the board , also a big thanks to Mitch for sharing these astounding beauties. It sure brings out the Drool Factor in any collector. image

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭