Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Goofy Designation Question-----We have a Winner!!!!!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Take a look at the coin in the link and consider what it would be designated if the steps weren't mush. I think it would have to be MS64FSRB!!! Do you think PCGS would ever do something like that?

Al H.image

congratulations to Petescorner!!!!!!!!! image

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    If it did have full steps would they have designated that also on the insert?
    I,m not sure.Maybe if you were the owner and ask for that.Otherwise it might be an afterthought.
    Its a fairly major error coin anyway.I dont know.Good question.Check with HRH on that I guess.
    Its a shame its not RD.It should be.Either its a bad scan or the color is that bad and its been obviously dipped.
    Shame.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........i was kinda surprised to see that the seller states it's not particularly rare, that they're on eBay frequently. that's a new one on me. we need dog97 or some of the error guys to weigh in on just how common they are. but back to the steps.........when i first saw the listing i figured a copper planchet would mean a fully struck coin. then reason slapped me hard!!! a much smaller planchet. what a bummer, the trials and tribulations of being a jeff nickel guy!!!image

al h.image
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow neat and a neater thread!! we need more threads like this!!

yes i could see something like this type of coin error being graded full steps!!

wow a neat coin and neater if full steps!!

i love it!

i like this thread even more!!!!!!!!!

sincerely michael
    I hope Dog chimes in.
  • Now theres an error I would like to own! Does anyone know what they usually sell for?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
    ttt
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Keets - Sorry but all Goofy designations have to be moved to the Disney Channel.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Well, I threw my hat in the ring, but I guess my paltry $200 bid wasn't enough image

Thanks for the link though. Very cool coin! image

Edited to add: I really hate reserve auctions! image
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Nope a Nickel can't be both Full Step and Red & Brown so you don't have to worry about what to call it.
    I just call it cool. You don't see those off metal plachets everyday.
    You would have to look at Byers or Weinberg's site for the value, I'm sure they have one.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
    I checked Mike Byers` site.I didnt see a 5c off-metal(copper),but he does have a couple Roosies struck on 1c planchet stock.The 1964 one is $10,000,the `98 is $4,700.
    The PCGS 5c could be around the $4K range.Less if Mike or Fred wasn`t selling it.
    WOWZER!!!!!image

hey dan

it looks like little petey might have a nice error for the collection!! i never thought it would go that high but apparently $250 may be a bargain price. i think the coin has a pleasing look; too bad about the dual designation. thanks for the input dog.

al h.image
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    So what would it be (other than a mess) if it were a 39 Jeff struck on a struck FB merc struck on a cent planchet? FSFBRB?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • epruyneepruyne Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Warning *uninformed newbie question**

How are errors like these created...do people making these coins do these kinds of things on purpose once in awhile to add spice to there mundane jobs or are they actually credible and do planchets get mixed up together?? I can understand a few of the errors/rarites that I have seen so far but these I have yet to figure out.

However it is a very cool looking coin.

• Keets, very kool coin. I like it mucho.

Dog97- I'm not an error expert, so here goes. I don't know how to quote on this yet, bear with me.
    Basically, you stated that a Nickel couldn't be both FS and RB. In this particular case, if the strike warranted an FS designation, why would it be improper to have both? Wouldn't it technically qualify on both counts? Thanks, Kscope deemed by Clank with many suffixes
    Well.If it were my coin and it was such a great stike that it was FS even I might press the issue with the grader/slabbers.

Just that litte detail could warrant an even bigger premium I,d think.
    hey epruyne

though i'm not certain i can offer a plausible explanation. a hopper containing cent planchets is emptied and if the operator doesn't thoroughly inspect the empty hopper, a cent planchet may be lodged inside, perhaps in the folded over rim at the top. when the hopper is refilled with nickel planchets, the cent planchet gets mixed in with them and fed into the press.

congratulations to Petescorner, now the proud owner of that gem!!!!!image

al h.image
    I,d buy that for $250 any day.Man .What a deal.
    Pete,I think you could resell that one for a nice profit someday if not soon.
    Would you take $300 for it?image
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Dan. What a nice conversation piece. I'd like a mule, but haven't gotten to it yet. That's a nice one.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    kaleidoscopic
    R&B RD etc is used for cents & FS is used for nickels. Even though it's struck on a cent planchet it's still a nickel.
    Hypothetically you can give it both designations iuf it deserves it but since a cent planchet is smaller that a nickel planchet it's unlikely that there would be enough metal flow to fill the deep designs of the die to make it FS but I guess it could maybe.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Thanks Keets, Cam, and Don!

After looking at it one more time before going to bed, I decide to up my bid by $50 and was floored when it hit the reserve. With 30 minutes still to go, I was sure I would get outbid.

Keets, I wanted to add that I hope I didn't breach board etiquette by bidding on an item you intended to buy. From your initial post it seemed like you were just pointing out a neat coin in case anyone else was interested. If, in fact, you wanted it and then held off bidding after you saw my bid, please accept my sincerest apology. I will gladly let you have it for the winning bid (which was the minimum reserve.) Please let me know. image
    Ya Keets,Isnt that the coin you were going to get for me? hmmm Oh well.I guess it found a good home anyway..........imageimage
    ...........well hey guys, no harm no foul. i had no intention of bidding on it and no interest past bringing it here for some discussion which has been enlightening so far. i had hoped dog97 would show up and give us the benifit of his knowledge. thanks dog!!!imageimage

errors intrigue me but not enough for me to collect them------YET. one consideration i had when i first registered in the modern type set was to try to enter a set with errors. still might do it ala braddick and the PO1 set. it wouldn't be a high ranking set but would be intersesting to view and a challenge to assemble. one of these days..........image

al h.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file