Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Nice Jeff, Frank ...

A nice way to end the year: We observe Mr. Corso has added one of the three 2002 PR-70 DCAMs to his "big" set to draw a little closer to BNE when they allow the '02 into the registry. Congrats, Frank!

Comments

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Frank! Nice find.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Thanks for the comments on the 2002S PF70DCAM. I'm still looking for a nice 1966 MS66 or 67 DCAM. Have not found one that I like yet. For the rest of the set there are only eight coins left for possible upgrade. I think 4 of them are in the Honeycutt collection. It will be near impossible to find additional coins.

There has been a lot of activity in the Jefferson series. Wm Walser added a 1954S MS6FS. Ray Overby has now allowed his set to be viewed. Some real tough coins including a 1953S and 1954S both in MS64FS.

In the proof area the BNE Collection now has the first and fifth all time best sets! Congratulations to Barry.

Based on the activity in 2002, and with the addition of many new Jefferson collectors, I expect 2003 to be another very strong market for the Jefferson series.

Happy New Year!

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .........a few questions:
    is ray overby eBay member rayovac? if not, do you know who that I.D. belongs to?
    have you noticed the strength of some mid 50's MS64-5FS coins?
    do you anticipate Honeycutt eventually climbing to the top of the heap? i'm amazed at his patience and his penchant for pop 1 coins.

thanks.

i'd like to also add my congrats to barry for the BNE collection. well done!!

al h.image
  • Al:

If the Honeycutt sets are updated, he or she will have the highest (one of the highest?) graded proof sets from 38 to current. Clearly an outstanding set. I believe there have been earlier posts regarding Honeycutt - an apparently there are several other outstanding sets in other categories.

I believe rayovac is Ray Overby's ebays and CU's name.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the proof area the BNE Collection now has the first and fifth all time best sets! Congratulations to Barry.

Frank
    There was a dealer named Barry who would have a table at most of the big coin shows. And everytime I would see him (some 5-8 years ago because I haven't been to one for awhile) he would always show me his frosted set of early 1938 to 1942 proofs. One time he suggested I buy the 1940 he had and think about it overnight, that if I changed my mine, he would refund my money the next day. I said OK but ended up returning the coin because it had several microscopic c spots. But anyway, it would be interesting if it were the same guy, that Barry also had some very nice proofs. I remember a few had
    a light blue color but can't remember if they were PCGS or Anacs graded. Perhaps if BNE sees this post
    would help.

Good luck with the the sms dcams, they are tough. There were a couple of other threads of recent.
    It might be a case where the need of comparing, references and letters to PCGS to sway them to
    certify another.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Hi, Leo!

I'm not that Barry (I'm just a collector, not a dealer), but I share his love for those early frosty Jefferson proofs. They are very special and rare coins!image

That is a very special 2002, Frank! Congratulations!!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night