Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1960 PF smdt/lgdt cent new collector

imageTextI am new to the messageboards and just wanted opinions on this type of error. My dad got me interested in collecting when the '95 cent double die came out so I guess thats why I have a interest in varities. thanx

Comments

• Options
    Hi joeyuk,

Welcome to the boards!

What did you want to know about those items? I might not be able to help you but I'm sure someone here, can.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums and Happy New Year.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Just the basic collectability. Cherrypickers' Guide gives it a low population and high interest which justifies a high price. I've spent from $250 to $650 on graded examples PF-66 to PF-68 cam then I see someone giving a PCGS PF-67 away for $99. Either they are way off base or I am. I don't think I've been around enough to tell which.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Hello Joey, welcome aboard, mate.

There exist at least three separate dies of 1960 lg/sm sm/lg proof cents, all of which are quite rare to exceedingly rare, with fewer than 50 pieces known for each. None is more or less desirable than the others, and all command a substantial premium value, as you know. As for specific prices paid for them in slabs, I unfortunately cannot help you - I do not buy or sell slabbed coins.

The only one I have seen offered in the past sold at $200 about a year ago on eBay. I don't remember right now which particular die it was, but as I stated earlier, it wouldn't matter since both have approximately the same value and market following.

Die listings are as follows:

coppercoins 1960P-1DO-001P : CONECA PR-1-O-III : FS 1c 025
    large date / small date.

Light spread to the north in LIBERTY, separation to the north on the date.

coppercoins 1960P-1DO-002P : CONECA PR-2-O-III : FS 1c 024
    small date / large date.

Strong doubling on the date also shows as a west doubling in BERTY. Doubling also shows on some of the letters of the motto, scattered.

coppercoins 1960P-1DO-003P : CONECA PR-3-O-II-C+III(3) : FS 1c 023
    large date / large date / small date.

Tripled spread shows in date, doubling in LIBERTY and on motto.

I hope you can benefit from this rather limited information, I have not yet had a chance to view / photograph any examples of any of these dies, so I cannot provide images for viewing - apology.

Have fun collecting!

C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Thanx for the info. I didn't realize the pop. was that low
  • Options
    I collect em. I've found a couple and bought a few others. Cameos don't seen that rare for the FS-024 and FS-025. I'd have to guess the FS-023 is the hardest to find in high grades, I've never viewed a cameo specimen. There's a FS-023 in the current Heritage auction, if you've got the $$.

perfectstrike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file