Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what is the must under appreciated u. s. coin series in mint state since the 89-90 crash.

for me it's been the barber quarter in mint state. in the past year some series have started going up for the first time in over 12 years. none of which i own!!! like semi key and key washington quarters, high grade peace dollars, and any date 2 and a half dollar gold indians in 65 or better also proof buffalos have gone nuts lately. but even though i thought 2 years ago when i got back into the hobby that mint state 65 type date barber quarters were a good value with sheet bid at 1000, but the past 2 years have reached all time lows recently to around 750. i think thats rediculous! so, what do you think was the most under appreceiated series of u. s. mint state type coin in 2002?
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    20 cent pieces, without question!

Brian.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Mercury Dimes Hands down.image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    Kelso:
    I wanted to be objective. Mercury dimes are my second choice.image

Brian.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in any specific order:

1854-55 arrows quarters MS65
    No drapery quarters and halves, honest MS63-65
    Coronet large cents - MS65 Red
    1796 draped bust quarter - MS63 - 65
    Seated dollars - MS65
    Reeded edge halves - MS65
    1873-74 proof dimes, quarters and halves - PF65
    Stars obverse dime PF65

Just some of my favorites where the pops have increased at very low rates compared to many other US Type coins. Any conservatively graded US silver type at around CDN bid/ask is a fairly underrated coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I personally think the Liberty Seated Quarters and Half dollars are undervalued.

Bill

Specializing in Early Bust Quarters by die variety and Three Dollar Gold Pieces
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buster,

I can't disagree with you on seated coinage.....I'm not impartial.
    No motto and arrows quarters and halves offer some good value in
    choice and better MS/PF grades. But any original and attractive "with motto" piece can be very underrated. Way too many have been dipped, cleaned, mishandled, and AT'd.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Mint State -- if by that, you mean unc as opposed to circ -- then I'd say all silver Bust coinage aside from the dollars and half dollars.

Also, all Seated Dollars in MS64 and better, and Trade Dollars in MS65 and better.

Of course, nearly half of the Seated dimes, quarters and halves are also conditionally rare in any MS grade.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    May sound like a broken record but anything seated in AU58+. Forget the pops as they are way inflated for many years. I seriously doubt the series will go anywhere as there are not enough coins to go around. If 3-4 serious collectors but MS coins they could corner half the market.

A collectable and finishable series are Barber Halves in MS65. The yare out there but very tough to find nice.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They weren't affected by the crash, but the most under appreciated series has to be the
    Roosevelt dimes, especially the clad issues. Many of these have very low mintages or very
    low survival rates. Only a handful of 75-NMM dimes are known. The 82-P dime is very dif-
    ficult to find in nice choice unc and you can just about forget about gems yet the coin is of-
    ten found for a dollar or two. The 82-NMM dime entered circulation and had a mintage far
    less than the number of surviving 16-D dimes yet is available down to about $75. Many of
    the older clad dimes are elusive in choice condition or in rolls, but if you can find a roll it may
    wholesale as low as 20% over face. Some of these early dates are getting a little harder to
    find in circulation which will drive the impatient newbie to purchase an uncirculated example.
    Supplies of these are too thin to support such activity for long.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    this is easy. barber dimes in ms63 and better.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    barber lover if you think one of the most underappreacited series in ms is the barber quarters! i agree with you!!!!!!!!!!

and the most underapprecaited date in this series is the 1901 barber quarter in ms 65!!!!! the ultimate of the ultimate!

also half dimes in ms the legend obv series esp the 73 s !!!!!!!

i think the proof buffs still are undervalued! especially with the right look and/or monster toning! the brilliant and satin proofs 36 37!!

trade dollars!! especially so the monster underrated 1874!!

lib nicks!! esp the 1889 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

copper nickel 1860-64 indians !!!!!!!!!!!!

seated dimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the list goes on and on

sincerely michael

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most underappreciated series? It is a toss up between the standing liberty quarter, three cent nickel and the twenty cent series. The latter two may stay underappreciated for a lot longer too.

The liberty head nickel series has finally awakened from its 20 plus year slumber. Incredible.

Patterns is another series that is grossly underappreciated. In fact, most collectors do not even know the pattern series at all.

Yes, barbers are underappreciated but not in all grades. Condition rarities in 67-68 etc. as well as many circulated grades are doing quite well indeed in the past 3 years.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I got to go with anything seated.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who think Barbers are tough and underappreciated in Mint State, try finding them in choice, original EF to AU grades.

IMO, putting together a set of those in the nice, original EF grade range is the work of a lifetime.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Proof Barber Halves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file