Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any good experience with Yahoo auctions?

ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
I took a look at the Yahoo auction site today, and noticed a few dealer usernames I hadn't seen on ebay. Overall, I'm not too sure it's worth the time. In my area of interest (US gold -pre 1934) - there were a total of 155 listings in US gold, 13 of which were PCGS slabbed, and 3 of those were pre-1934 (comparison: 3655 listings in US gold on ebay, 474 of which are PCGS slabbed, probably 25%-50% pre-1934). Has anyone run into any dealers who list only on Yahoo (why? thrown off ebay?) and seem to have good stuff?
Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

Comments

• Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I mainly use Yahoo! Auctions instead of eBay. The reason is I started selling and buying on Yahoo! several years ago, and just don't want to change over to eBay. However, in the past 6 months I have started looking and comparing the 2 sites, and eBay has more product, better quality, better sellers, etc. than Yahoo! Auctions do. For example, I would do a search on Yahoo! for PCGS slabs in Kennedy's, or Walking Liberty Halves, or Ikes, and I would only get 3-6 hits per search. And usually (~90%+) those 3 PCGS coins would be well over-priced and higher than eBay. Do a search on PCGS slabs for Kennedy Halves on eBay and you will have 30+ hits come back. So, better selection right there.

So, in my opinion, it is not really worth it. I do it just because I do not want to change. And every once in a long while I do find something worth buying; that is I feel it is cheap enough to not look for it on eBay. I have noticed a few sellers also on Yahoo that are not on eBay. I don't think they have been kicked off Yahoo! as they have excellant feedback. Rather, that it is cheaper to list on Yahoo! and also they have been using Yahoo! Auctions for many years, and do not want to switch. At least that is what one seller hass told me.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased several nice coins on Yahoo. Just check out the sellers feedback. There is not the traffic or selection on Yahoo, but occasionally you can find what you are looking for. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    You can occasionally find decent stuff, two years ago I bought a raw toned Jeff. Nickel graded MS64 sent it to get slabbed and it came back MS67 and sold it for $350. May not have been the best deal but at least I did not lose money on the transaction.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    A few months ago I sold 6 basically identical lots on eBay and Yahoo - my results surprised me

Listing fees are lower on Yahoo as well as final value percentage

My results? 40% higher gross on eBay and with all fees associated still 25% higher net

Not a scientific study but enough for me to cut my selling and increase my purchasing on Yahoo

A higher % of top end coins get sold on Yahoo like a storefront (minimum closer or at retail)

take home message? I don't know -

As with any auction, you need volume of potential buyers and at least 2 interested to run up prices in an auction.
  • Options
    BowAxeBowAxe Posts: 143 ✭✭
    It appears that MS70 Modern Commems, the main thing I watch, rarely appear on Yahoo!, while there almost always are ten to twenty of them listed on ebay. Consequently I only check Yahoo! once a week or so, if that often.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I found a cat on yahoo that listed a 56,57,58 ms66fbl Frankie in one lot. It didn't sell, I wrote him and asked for the 57, he sold it to me at a good price and his shipping was fast.........
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    I really like Yahoo, started there, and am still there. I only jumped to ebay because I couldn't seem to find the tough dates I need anymore on Yahoo. In over 60 auctions on Yahoo, I NEVER got sniped in the last minuteimage

As a buyer only, I like the feedback format and just the whole set up on Yahoo better

A couple of sellers on Yahoo that I've worked with a lot that I haven't seen on ebay are tshockss and Ronknappronald.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file