Home Q & A Forum
Options

Dollars v. Minors

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
David,

Are graders more, less, or about the same as far as bag marks, rub, nicks, hairlines and such on larger coins v. smaller coins? I see Morgan dollars in which look as if they were run over by a semi earn grades of upto MS63. Yet, a Mercury dime with a wisp of a hairline in the field earns AU grades. Could you share your thoughts on this issue?

Thank you,

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Tony,

It's a little relative. Try to imagine a Morgan dollar shrunk to the size of a Mercury dime, then the scratch is shrunk too. It's sort of a percentage of the surface factor. Another way to look at it is to put a glass on the Merc dime...then the marks are magnified. I think I know what you mean, as some of the Morgans look marked compared to some of the Mercs in the same grade. I do think that each series is looked at a little differently. The important thing is for coins to be graded consistently within the series. And I actually think today's grading standards, for the most part, are pretty logical. I think even Spock would approve in most instances.

David