Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Planchet flaws

I recently purchased the following coin.

It was described as having a planchet flaw behind George V's head, and it looks worse in person than the scan shows.

Even so, I'm going to keep it. Although I prefer coins with great detail and no marks, for some reason I'm not so bothered by "as struck" defects. Die lines, die cracks, planchet flaws, etc. don't bother me as much as bag marks, grafitti, or other post production problems.

What is the reasoning behind PCGS and others not slabbing coins with planchet defects? Don't they slab lamination errors and other coins with problems as struck by the Mint?
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Probably because some planchet defects are confused with tooling or other damage, depending upon the severity. My guess is that 10 seconds isn't enough to tell every case so they err on the side of caution. But for more obvious planchet defects, it wouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    So you'd have to send it in for review and pay twice if you want them to look at it for 20 seconds?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, since it's looked at by three, you'd have 30 seconds the first time, 30 the second. Maybe you need to send it in three times in order to get it detected. image
  • Options
    OK, so if someone were to submit a coin and mark "PLANCHET FLAW" on the submission form, would they be less likely to assume the flaw is a gash or post-strike mark?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I see "planchet flaw" and "tooling" mentioned...I know nothing about Canadian gold, but for a US piece this would raise a red flag. Counterfeit?
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    It looks as if that is the very rare struck through Moth variety image.
  • Options
    Well, shiro, you raise a very good question. Maybe some slabbing industry die hards will care to explain....but I doubt you will hear anything. IMO, the services (esp. PCGS) don't like to grade coins with striking anomalies because it is too far of a departure from black-n-white. It would hurt their heads to actually have to think about the intricate details of determining how such a planchet flaw actually occurred. Even on a coin that was struck on a flawed planchet, went into a bank bag or vault, never circulated, then surfaced 100 years later, they would still not know enough to call it mint state. Add charcter IMO. Nice coin, too!!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of there being a problem. I've seen plenty of FE/IHC coins with planchet flaws in PCGS holders. It's been my observation that they do what they always do - market grade the coin, taking into consideration the location and prominence of the defect.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the reasoning behind PCGS and others not slabbing coins with planchet defects? Don't they slab lamination errors and other coins with problems as struck by the Mint? >>

TTT-Hoping someone can answer this interesting question.
    Hamsters oy! Why collect they the taco.
  • Options
    Here's a glaring planchet flaw in a pcgs slab.

Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    Glaring problems are slabbed as errors, but minor planchet flaws seem to be bagged as "damage."
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Ouch!.
    I say`There audda be law`.image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    It does look like a struck-through moth.It couldnt be though right?I mean.....it does look like a struck-through moth.
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    CAM, the "struck through moth" varieties that I have seen usually display a much weaker surface deformation than shiro's coin. Although, moth strike throughs on gold coins are usually a bit stronger due to the physical properties of gold. 50/50 chance on this coin. I would have to see it in person.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    No, I don't agree at all with the assertion that PCGS and others don't slab coins with planchlet flaws. In any give major auction their fairly common and often commented on by the catalogers. And they aren't slabbed as errors either. It may affect the market value and therefore the grade, but it won't prevent it from being slabbed. I'm not so sure its a planclet flaw or a 'struck through' situation where a piece of wood chip or something else got between the planchlet and the die @ the time of strike. If those bumps on the field behind the head are raised, instead of indentions, I agree with the poster who said that you need to be concerned about the piece being counterfeit. Just can't tell that much from a two diminsional scan.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file