Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Non-Full Step Top Pop Jeffersons

What type of market is there for these coins?

I'm talking about coins like the 1962-D. In MS65 there are 9, but in MS65FS there are only 2 (45 in all grades). For the 1963-D there are 12 in MS65, but only 2 in MS65FS (11 all grades).

Do collectors of these series pay OK money for the top pop non-FS coins or are they mostly ignored while they chase after the lower grade, yet FS coins?

Comments

• STOCKFORDSTOCKFORD Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
    full step coins are were the money is.
    they are very hard to get in some years
    the only non-full step nickels that command any money are pcgs 67
    that grade is hard to get in any year
    as for the newer nickels 1971 to now 67fs is were the money is
    if you have any pcgs 67 non full steps let me know
    i have a collector trying to put together a set
    LOOKING FOR FULL STEP JEFFERSON NICKELS PCGS OR NGC
  • Wasn't Wondercoin trying to sell his 1970-D PCGS MS65 FS Jefferson Nickel for like $10,000?

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg- I've recently been going through some original rolls of early sixties Jeffersons and am having a tough time finding anything close to full GEM, let alone one that also is FS.
    I think there is a good reason why some of these pops are so low!

peacockcoins

• Greg:

Sounds like you found a pocket of value. Problem is that non FS coins get a 2 point deduction in the set registry (ie. an MS65 = an MS63FS). Many high end Jeff collectors are also registry participants. If you are going to pay the high prices you probably want the registry credit. I don't agree with this reasoning, but never-the-less, it is probably pervasive.

Cheers

The Other Greg
  • gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I've recently been going through some original rolls of early sixties Jeffersons and am having a tough time finding anything close to full GEM, let alone one that also is FS.
    I think there is a good reason why some of these pops are so low!

I gave up looking at them for a long time. Rarely found anything nice enough. Just recently I found a few nice ones from man made mint sets including a 1963-D that PCGS graded MS65. Unless this coin brings OK money, I'm not planning on looking for more.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Wasn't Wondercoin trying to sell his 1970-D PCGS MS65 FS Jefferson Nickel for like $10,000?"

LW: I actually slabbed the pop 1/0 70(d) coin in PCGS-MS65FS, but it was never offered for sale (perhaps you are confusing that $10,000 figure with one of my hypotheticals where I opined about a value for such a coin?)

But, now that you mention 1970(d), I just got in a couple 1970(d) nickels in PCGS-MS66 (pop top) and I can make you a deal for a lot less than $10,000/coin. In fact, based upon the price I would sell those nickels for, I can confidently tell Greg there is a HUGE, HUGE difference between the pop top FS and the pop top non-FS value image Wondercoin P.S. I also just got in a 1971(d) nickel in PCGS-MS67FS. If anyone is seriously interested in that one, just PM me.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took awhile to get these together as I somehow put them together as a bitmap file which wouldn't load.
    With my computer wiz son out with friends, for once, I figured it out....great way to end the year I guess. But anyway, non-full step Jefferson's are great to collect as mentioned in high grade but I like to add an EDS strike ain't so bad of a way to collect them either.......that goes for any coin.
    Check out the serifs and points on the letters. And how about the wall frame around the coin. And for the m/m collectors, check out the small D over large D. And lastly there's only 4.50 steps.
    Happy Near Year
    Leo
    Forgot to add and for only 45 cents, ha!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........as with any series which has a strike designator attached to the grade, Jeffersons really make little sense to collect and pay a premium for unless they are fully struck and as such designated Full Step------IMHO. as typetone pointed out concerning the registry, a non-FS coin graded MS67 garners a participant a net 65, and it really isn't a fully struck coin. for my money an MS66FS is always the way to go. it's a logical compromise which provides a better overall strike at the expense of a few contact marks. i just try to be selective because i've seen 66FS coins with weak steps or too many marks to warrant the grade, again IMHO.

all this means that there are some coins in the series i'll probably never get for my set as MS66FS. i've thought in terms of registry points to get the war years and some others in 67FS to raise the overall set grade, but that money would be better spent for me in a more difficult 66FS coin and the set rating be damned!!!!!!!!image besides, if i stray from my set goal it takes away from the thrill of the hunt.

just for clarity-----i haven't registered anywhere in the MS jefferson's yet. that's a goal i'll accomplish this year. in the meantime i'll continue looking for coins to fill some holes(there are many)and i'll use Leo as my role model and keep all those beautiful-don't-quite-make-full-step-coins in my raw collection.

al h.image
  • Al:

Some of my rarest coins are not in my registry set. Originally my focus was 6 step coins and many of these coins graded MS65 or 66 FS. I have since upgraded some of these to MS67FS (5+ but not 6 steps). Some of these coins would make Leo's cyber space 6 step collection and are rare or scarce in 6 steps.

I have a box of these coins in the vault along with some raw coins. The raw coins include a 1961D probably MS 63 or 64 with five steps. PCGS won't certify it because of 1 spot where the coin looks whizzed on the obverse. Also a 1942 D over inverted D in MS 62 or 63 that shows small signs of cleaning.

I may try to resubmit these in the future, but either way they will not be sold.

Good luck with your set looking forward to seeing it on line.

Frank

(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)