Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Set Registry "Board" Meeting At The National

Hi Fellow Board Members,

This is probably a redundant post but I would be interested in replies as to how many on this board would like to get together to meet each other.This was discussed briefly on the National Show post previously but you have to read the whole post to see it.Bernie(playball) seems to be our resident expert and has made a few suggestions on where a good meeting place might be.I am sure that he will repost them on this thread.(Thanks Bernie).As there are some guys that might not be of legal age,dinner would probably be a good choice.We can arrange the meeting so as not to interfere with our intense card hunting during the day.I have really enjoyed reading,laughing, and learning with the board members and would appreciate the chance to meet other people that have the same illness as myself(CARDS!!).As I am from Florida,I don't get up to the NorthEast much and probablywould never meet many of you guys.Wouldn't it be cool to swap stories and contacts with a roomful of rabid card junkies?

Vic
Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

Comments

• theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Some of the guys got together at the last National. I am sure the tradition will continue...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • A fun time was had by all!

• theBobs,

Great Link !!

Thanks!!!
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

• << <i>As there are some guys that might not be of legal age >>

Thinking you probably included that for me, heh. If so, thanks for taking me into consideration but don't let me become a liability or let me damper any plans image. If that wasn't meant for me, getting together for dinner would be nice, just count me as three instead of one, heh, my mom and dad will be there. Oh to be of legal gambling age.... image

Ian
  • Tipem...

Count me in...

I'm sure that Frank Smith (Late1970'sTopps) will be joining us as well. I met him a couple weeks ago and we're both excited about making the trek from the Northwest.

Maybe PSA could help arrange a "Registry" hospitality room?...... Kind of an oasis after a hard days work on the convention floor....(no ID required there!)

Is there an official link to the National?...Anybody know?

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • This link will help image

National

• Ian,

I am sure that you and your family would be welcomed by all members present.I was thinking of you as well as any other unfortunate collectors that are not of legal age.After all,underaged collectors will ultimately carry on the hobby that we all love and at times, love to hate.Look forward to meeting you.

Vic

• Tipem,

Count me in as well. I really like the idea of a Hospitality room as well.

Billy
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Tipem,

Don't forget - based upon the thread from this year's National. BJ has gone on record.

"I think based on what I saw at this year's national I'll have to plan an "event" of some kind for Atlantic City. I was the lucky one at the show because I got to meet everyone. Some of you didn't have that opportunity. So with PSA's blessing, we'll do some kind of mixer in your honor."

Sounds like a pig roast at Bally's to me!!!image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!

• Frank,

Maybe we could get PSA to pop for a hospitality room and (pushing the envelope),get them to do a PSA set registry grading special.After all,I have seen numerous articles that seem to indicate that the PSA set registry has fueled the card grading market as well as some of the premium prices that the top auctions are realizing.Maybe registering as a "board member " would allow you to have special access to the grading special that I alluded to earlier.While this would not benefit people that could not attend the national this year do to financial,locational( is that a word?),or other restraints,future nationals might allow them to do so.After all, How much money will PSA actually lose if this special is confined to the Board members only and will another grading company break through with this idea in order to try to advance their registry listings?

Just a Thought!!!

Vic
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Tipem,

I can assure you that the Registry members will meet at the next National and I will be there again. Hopefully PSA will organize an official "event" under the guidance of BJ, but if that doesn't materialize, we'll organize an event ourselves. Last year's dinner at Gibson's was a hoot! It was the fastest 3-1/2 hours of my life.

You should probably drop BJ an e-mail and get a status report. I'm not at all familiar with AC, so I wouldn't know where to start in terms of organizing a get-together.
    One other thing -- PSA did have a Registry area at last years National at the PSA Booth. I met a lot of collectors there also. They even had several PCs hooked up on-line so that you could view or update your Registry Set.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they can even move up the annual set registry awards to coincide with the National. It would make a good press release for them. I'm not sure if I'm going to head back to the "right coast" for the show but if I do, you can count me in.
  • Count me in on whatever meeting we have. I can't wait until July, as I was unable to attend last year. I really look forward to meeting all of you.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Tipem emailed me and asked to me to respond. We will definitely have a PSA Set Registry Reception at the National. I am tentatively planning it for the Friday evening of the show and as soon as I have exact time, place, and location I will be emailing an invitation to everyone who is participating in the Set Registry. Joe Orlando will be in attendance as well as Carol Bennett and some of the other PSA customer service staff. There may even be a few surprises. We'll be serving beverages and appetizers. This will be strictly a social get-together to thank you for the support and encouragement you have provided to me, Gayle Kean, and our newest Set Registry staffer, Cosetta Robbins, and to give each of you an opportunity to meet one another, if you haven't done so already.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Thanks BJ. We met at the National in Chicago. I hope to make it to Atlantic City, finances willing, and see you again. The registry has been an entertaining addition to my hobby.

Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts

• << <i>We'll be serving beverages and appetizers. >>

Three free beers?

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
    I propose this:

Free Beers for registry members. We recognize that not every card in every important collection has been graded by PSA. In order to encourage participation in the PSA Set Registry program when your set reaches 75% complete, you are entitled to the following free beer benefits:

- If the set composition is 1-50 cards you are entitled to 1 free beer.
    - If the set composition is 51-150 cards you are entitled to 2 free beers.
    - If the set composition is 151-300 cards you are entitled to 3 free beers.
    - If the set composition is 301+ cards you are entitled to 5 free beers.

Free beers are for cards within the set that has reached 75% completion. All orders must be submitted at one time. If your set has reached 75% complete, please contact setregistry@collectors.com for an authorization code. No free beers will be permitted without this authorization code, so be sure to write the number down on the top of your bar tab.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Whoa!

Don't get me involved in this one!

However 1970 Kellogg's collectors will only be entitled to two beers. For that crowd, that's a mouthwash!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• MAN,

Maybe the free beer entitlement is a way to get the new card grading market kick started.There could be a bonus beer or two for completing sets over 700 cards.

Somehow I knew that there would be some kind of correlation between Kelloggs and beer.I guess on this board it was inevitable.

I guess if you are underage or cannot hold your beer,the deal is root beer.
  • Dude....

According to your calculations.....let's see.......add 3.........no, that one is only 74.4%.........carry the 1.........X 2................

Yep!............ I'd have 25 beers coming!

I love this proposal...(course, I'll be sleeping under the PSA table for a while.....)

Maybe I'll stick to the "GEMMINTMAN KOOL-AID SPECIAL" (You know...Cherry and A B S O L U T E)

BJ.....Thanks for the invitation!! I'll be there to meet the PSA folks and board members.

Great Fun...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

CHEERS!!

• << <i>Maybe I'll stick to the "GEMMINTMAN KOOL-AID SPECIAL" (You know...Cherry and A B S O L U T E) >>

That's Pure Ambrosia KING KELLOGG image
  • GEMMINTMAN...

I'll have to see about getting you a really BIG glass of that special KonKoction...

(Maybe after a few, I can pry a 10 away from you...)

Cheers!

Larry

CHEERS!!
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Oh Lord...

This is going to get ugly - AND FAST!!!!!image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>There may even be a few surprises. >>

How about a song and dance number by Zardoz -- something from Oklahoma or Cats perhaps?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    I always pictured Zardoz as more of a "La Cage`" type of guyimage
  • Gee, thanks guys!!

That's going to come as a great shock to the wife and kids....and even more to myself.

Oh well, I suppose that I am doomed to pursue a career in interior decorating. Colors and fabrics!!!! It's no wonder that I like the 72 Topps baseball set!!! image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Count me in as well - I'm happy that the show is on the East Coast as it will make it easier for me to drive down for the weekend. Just put the dates into my palm pilot.

All the best

chris
    Collector of baseball PSA sets from the 1970's & hockey rookie cards; big New York Rangers fan (particularly now that they are sleeping with the enemy with Holik and Kaspiritus). Also starting to collect 53 Bowman Color as I think they are the most beautiful cards I have seen.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I would be honored to make my way up for one of the days to hopefully meet some of the wonderful people on this Forum!

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.