Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it possible to have an NGC coin with * be PQ or Non-PQ?

I think it would really help the hobby if they instituted the following grading system:

MS60 - 65: These are the coins you should use when purchasing a Snickers from a vending machine.
MS66: A collector's quality mint state coin
MS66*: A premium collector's quality mint state coin.
MS67: An MS66 coin with one less doo-da on it.
MS67*: An MS66* coin but a little more eye-appealling.
MS67***: A new category added when a lot of people complained about there MS67* coin being a lot better than another MS67* they saw on Teletrade earlier that day.
MS68: A coin that used to be MS68*, but got a tiny spot on it when they were putting it in the holder.
MS68*: A coin that is almost perfect, except there is a big bagmark on Jefferson's jaw.
MS69: A coin that is perfect except for a tiny little spot shaped like Madagascar just off the east coast of Washington's neck.
MS69*: A coin that is perfect.
MS70: A coin that is perfect when viewed by a regular person, though it will show imperfections when viewed under a glass with 8 or more power magnification.
MS70*: A coin that is fully the equal of an MS68* coin, except that there is no bagmark on Jefferson's jaw.
MS71: The new standard for numismatic perfection. To qualify a coin must be very shiny and have almost no bagmarks on it at all.

I think you'd all agree that this would eliminate a lot of the confusion in the marketplace by establishing one, logical, universal standard for almost everyone to follow.
Singapore

Comments

• Options
    That looks like a welcome improvement. But even better would be if they just put a price on the slab label instead of a grade.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your sturring the pot again.

Where would colonials fit into this scheme of MS60-MS71?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way...are you still blowing smoke?

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Stooge -

First of all, lets restrict ourselves to one consecutive witty retort per post - otherwise its looks like you're trying to monopolize the forum which is not fair to the others.

Second, I'm not positive, but I think my original post was a joke. Yes, I'm sure of it.

Unless I'm mistaken, it was someone else who posted the nickel in 68 with what appeared to be an enormous bagmark removed from a PCGS MS62 (non-PQ) Morgan Dollar and relocated on Jefferson's jaw. Based on seeing that, its hard for me to take any of this too seriously.

Have a big day!
    Singapore
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm - how did you get ahold of Accugrade's secret grading standard list???
  • Options
    Singapore:

You grow tiresome.image And what, no more reposts on the blowing smoke thread?

Greg
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    The "Blowing smoke" thread switched topics when Mitch went off on a tangent and we got into a completely other discussion. So, in all fairness to Singapore, that should have been posted in a new thread.

As for this thread.. Colonials, dont fit into this new grading scheme. They dont grade high enough. So much for the classic, out of date material. But, maybe I will purchase some of those "widow's mites" I see sitting in a bucket at my local coin dealer. They are really lustrous and beautiful under all that black soot.

Have a bigger day!!

WWQ
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!