Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question for BJ regarding coin entry

BJ;
As the number of sets proliferates and the number of overlapping sets increases (by this, I mean sets that allow the same coin to be registered twice or more), it is becoming increasingly time consuming to add coins---I recently upgraded an SMS dime and found it in four different sets. there are two side effects----one is it takes us more time. the other is that if I forget a set and leave the old coin registered after I sell it, someone else will have a problem registering it.

So my question: at some point in time (I am the first to admit this should not be a priority for you), would it be possible to add an option (perhaps a checkbox on the entry form) that enters a replacement coin into each set that its predecessor was included in (including type sets, if the predecessor coin was in any type set). So instead of entering a new coin in several places, I would enter it just once and the registry would propogate around (much like you do right now with images, associating them with coins rather than with a specific set). It might also be useful to have the same option for new coins (that are additions rather than replacements), except for them, it makes no sense to add them to type sets---but if I add a coin to the 1960 proof set, it might be nice to have it automatically added to my 1950-1964 proof set (I don't have either of those sets currently--that was just an example).

Thanks,

Pete

Comments

• Options
    Pete,

That is a very good idea... It would be a great addition to the registry.

Rick
    A active collector of Modern Proof graded coins. Highligted by my Modern registry sets. (The Lewis' Collections).
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Actually, this suggestion has come up before and unfortunately is not something we can do right now with our current configuration. Eventually, the set registry will be re-programmed and at that time, we will make accommodations for this feature in order to facilitate data entry. But, we are looking at least a year away, maybe even longer, as our programming staff has their hands full right now as they try to integrate all of our systems at Collectors Universe. My best suggestion at this point is that you keep a spreadsheet listing your various coins and which sets they appear in.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com