Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1981 golf???

I'm thinking of starting this small set this year, and thanks to the holiday rush, I picked up a wax box a few days ago for about 20% less than what I have seen them go for recently. My question for any of the collectors of this set, should I open it? Idealy I would like to get at least (25) 9-worthy cards from the 36 packs to submit by the end of the current registry special. With the centering problems and other issues, is it likely? Remember, I'm starting from scratch so every card is needed. Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Rob

Comments

• Options
    Centering and gum stains are the biggest problems with this set. I once opened a case. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that one out of every four cards will get your a PSA 9. Two will get you a PSA 8, and the other card will have a qualifyer of some sort.
    I'd open it if I were you. You'd stand a pretty good chance of getting almost every card in PSA 8 or 9 in the box.
    I have a Trevino card that came back PSA-7 St. For the life of me, I can't find the reason for the qualifyer. I thought the card was a solid PSA 9 and thought I might get lucky and draw a PSA 10. Sometime, I just can't figure it out.

Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    BOBS

Let me know how you do. I am also looking at starting this set. PSA 10's go for a pretty penny on EBAY when they show up. This is much newer than most of the golf cards I collect, but it is readily available, fairly affordable, and yet fairly rare.

Centering is a nightmare on this issue. Also one card in each pack will have to likely get tossed. They still served these beauties up with gum in the packs in 1981, and it tends to ruin 1 card per pack.

let me know how you do. Good Luck!!!
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    BobS, it is a nice set to put together. I have opened several boxes and find either the whole box is very good or very bad with regards to centering. There 10s are almost impossible, and sell for $200 + when they show up. The nines have dropped quite a bit in the past 3 months or so. They used to go for about $25- $30, now most sell for <$15. My set is #4 on the reg., 1 10, 2 8s, 62 9s and 1 missing. I would open a couple packs and then decide whether to continue or not. The 8s usually won't return your grading fee, so if the centering and condition isn't a solid 9 then you should cut your losses, dump the box, and pick up the cards piecemeal on ebay. It shouldn't take more than about 6 months to build 80% or more of a 9 set. By the way the 1982 set is tougher and starting to take off. There were less produced and the centering is even worse. If you are up for a challange, do both sets in 9+. By a few 1982 factory sets (about $35-$50 each) submit the best ones and go from there. Good Luck, STEVE.
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Rob

I am currently building 2 sets of this issue, one in PSA 9s and the other all 8s. Almost every box I have bought has the gum card ruined in every pack. So, each pack yields about 6 cards. I have gone through 10 packs in a row, and come up with 3 or 4 grading worthy cards, and I have opened 10 packs in a row and found 10-15 cards of the same caliber. It varies. To get a good idea, look up my last submission (# 8024072) I hand picked and tried to submit 25 cards with 9 potential, as you will see, not an easy feat to accomplish. The nice thing about the set is, at 66 total cards, you won't get too frustrated. Boxes were at one point going as high as 200 bucks, but there have been some sold under a 100 lately on E-Bay. About 100-120 is a good price. Good Luck, and please don't bid against me on those boxes ; ).

RobBob
    E-Bay ID edscherlcars
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, Great replies. I figure I'll bust it open and see what I get. Heck, I've only got $90 bucks into it. And at $5 bucks a pop for submission, I'll take some 8's, hopefully more 9's, and if any come back 10, I'll sell and start the whole process over. I love the set registry grading special!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Well- I rec'ed the box yesterday. What a bunch of crap! I've opened about 1/3 and have "maybe" 9 or 10 sure bet 8's. That's it. No sure 9's. No sure 10's. Oh well, at least I'll have a nice nrmt-mt raw setimage