Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Th Top 10 Vintage Sportscard Dealers of 2002

The kids have opened their presents, my family is cooking Christmas dinner, and everyone is making their top 10 lists so I thought I would name mine for the Top 10 Vintage Sportscard dealers in my eyes. This ranking takes into account honesty, dealers who have my interest at heart, service, fair pricing, amount of help on the sets I am working on they can give me and proactiveness.

1)Steve Novella-Always puts my interest first, honest, constantly in touch, sells duplicates for no extra charge on ebay and top other dealers--has focused increasingly on high end cards in past year. A guy I will always go out of my way to do business with.
2)Keith Abrams-Just recently in the business but what a debut. Sends me cards every week based on set registry, sells my duplicates for no charge, wonderful service, drives to house to deliver cards, pricing is fair, great guy.
3)Chris Porter(Superior Sports)-Has done a spectacular job since taking over from Greg. Not only are his auctions tops in the bus. but this is another guy who checks his inventory as it comes in and calls me with what he has that I need at fair prices.
4)Kris Keppler-Does anyone have more cards up on his website than Kris? Good friend of Steve's which means he is a first class guy. Customizes e-mails to me with what inventory is fresh, flexible on price, delivers cards to house.
5)Jay Volt(Quality Cards)-Puts together sets or partial sets card by card and then sells to me for about smr. This works with me. Conscientious, honest guy who I trust.
6)Sports Cards Plus--What I like about them is when new inventory comes in they call me. However, prices sometimes high and they never refer to registry before they call.
7)Dave Forman-Veteran dealer. Young although has dealt since teenager. Most of stuff goes through Teletrade but he does e-mail me occasionally wioth inventory and he always has stuff I need at the big shows.
8)Andy Madec-Honest, sincere guy who in the past used to call regularly with inventory at fair prices. I still like Andy a lot but see him as having a link to GAI which I view as a minus.
9)Joe Drelich--(East Coast Sports)-Another guy who will get in inventory and call me with what he has that I need. Easy guy to deal with, fair prices,.
10)Roberty Earhardt-Maybe a collector/dealer but he has e-mailed me many times in past year with cards I can use. Thanks, Bob.

I did this off the top of my head so I may have inadvertantly omitted someone who should be on this. Who would others put on their top 10 lists?

Davalillo

Comments

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Shoeless Joes & BBCEX have been outstanding.
  • Options
    I'd like to mention Shoeless Joes also. Has provided me with many PSA 10 Ozzie Smith cards for my player set registry. THANKS!!!

• Options
    Nice post Jim now how about giving me Kris's web address. Took some time today to look over some of your sets. Very impressive though I am sure you have heard this before. Good luck finishing in 8 and above. I am sure you will get there.

Thanks Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Dave,

Thank you. Happy to say something positive about Kris. His website is Kepplerenterpises.com and Kris@Kepplerenterprises.com is his e-mail address. Last time I checked he had close to 2,000 cards in inventory--most of which are in high grade.

Jim
  • Options
    bengineno9...

Email me on Oz cards...emards4457@msn.com .

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    1)peter lalos-champs & bums has always been one of my favorite dealers to buy from. very professional every time.

2)a.j and harvey at a.j. sport cards, excellent transaction every time and super fast shipping even from canada.

3)brian drent-mile high card co., brian always has a ton of high end vintage cards in all sports not just baseball!

4)steve pekovich-ebay id bauerfan, i havent spent very much with steve but i did just get five very high end psa 8 '62 yankees from him and all should have been in mint 9 holders! he always seems to have high end cards at good prices on ebay.

thats my top four dealers/sellers, they all just seem to blend together after that.

paul
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    Davalillo, thanks for the list. Could you list the company names with your top ten please? I am not that familiar with who works where. I would really appreciate it.

Personally, I have been extremely happy with Andy Madec and Levi Bleam. They are the only dealers I have developed a rapore with and both have been very helpful to me. I was surprised with the GAI comment on Andy, but I will have to ask him about it next time I see him. I would also give my reccommendation to Peter Lalos.
    Bill Roberts
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    It's great that we're saying nice about dealers. I guess that most of the lousy ones have washed out of the hobby. I've had good dealings with many of the aforementioned people. Levi Bleam at 707 and Bill at Polo Grounds have also been very accomodating to me.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I have to go with the following:

1) Steve Peckovich - "doc" has more high end material from the late 50's to the early 70's than anyone else that I've seen. Fair pricing, easy to work with!

2) bbcexchange - Another fine "Steve"!!! Steve Hart always seems to have great cards at reasonable prices! Up on eBay every week and is lightning fast when shipping!

3) dslsports - always seem to have just what I need when it comes to late 60's, early 70's material!

4) Shoeless Joe - has a bunch of nice stuff and I don't know who is more fun to deal with (Joe or Tim!)
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    DAVALILLO - Thanks for placing me on your Top Ten list. With your high end collection, it is indeed an honor. I have a nice batch put aside for your Jan 3rd shipment. I hope to remain in your Top Ten list for the upcoming year as well...jay
  • Options
    I don't disagree on any of the names I have seen here that I have personally dealt with -

Keith Abrams, Jay at Quality Cards, Robert Earhardt, Shoeless Joe's, Steve Hart at BBCEX, Peter Lalos at Champs & Bums, Steve Pekovich.

I'd like to add Joe Tauriello at Setbuilders Sportscards.

I'd also like to nominate some additional board members here that I've dealt with who are also top notch: Carlos Aponte, Frank Bakka, Larry Emard, and anyone else I forgot to mention/haven't had a chance to recognize on the boards yet.

Oh yeah, nobody mentioned Teddy's Ballgame image - Still waiting on 2 cards I won on ebay on 11/25 and 12/5. Oh well, horrible customer service and they only accept checks/MO, but you do eventually (emphasis on eventually) receive a nice card.

Happy Holidays everyone.

JEB.
  • Options
    I too enjoy Shoeless Joe's and I will also say that "King Kellogg" Larry Emard, is top notch as well. (Thanks for those 78's). Do any of you guys have any recommendations on nice raw cards, specifically 1974-1978?
  • Options
    1) 4_sharp_corners
    2) thefootballcardstore.com
    3) mintstateinc.com
    4) littledevildog
    5) Shoeless Joe

Honorable Mention - Stonegate, prompt service, great product.

But of course, Im just a Football Buyer.

KKBB
  • Options
    Teddy's Ballgame, oh my - is that one man operation for real????
    Will anyone actually give this guy something to auction for them?

Nevermind - WOW - just the mention of him -

KKBB
  • Options
    MrKissKissBangBang,

It is unfortunate to have to buy from dealers like Teddy's Ballgame, but if he has a card available that you've been looking for, you have to jump on it. I have dealt with him several times over the past few years and my opinion is: unless it's something you really need/doesn't come up on ebay often, don't bid. When I bid, I know I will have to wait about a month to get the card (longer around the holidays I guess from my recent experiences), but I will eventually get it. Just my thoughts.

JEB.
  • Options
    I primarily buy graded vintage BASKETBALL... I guess I'll use this as a thank you and a plug for dealers/individuals I enjoy buying from and who have made my collection possible. All of these people are friendly and professional. These are in no particular order...
    Dealers..........
    Kruk Cards
    Rich Caan (icaancards)
    Kurt Coltrane (Kurtz Kards)
    Mint State Inc.
    Terry French in Wallingford, CT... excellent raw cards
    Quality Cards
    Kirk Welch KWH
    DLS sports
    Steve Taft
    Greg Fisher
    kaisercards
    omegalm@aol.com
    individuals... not dealers... mostly ebay...
    Kid4hof
    Carkim
    Factorjim
    nuyauwka
    jenkind
    domenikbasketball
    Wesley Lui
    tonio
    I am sure that I have left a handful out...
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

My favorite dealer is Jay Wolt of QualityCards. He is fair, curteous, trustworthy, and has reasonable prices. Jay is one of the "good guys" in this hobby and I look forward to doing additional business with him in 2003.

John
  • Options
    JOHN - Thanks for the kind words. I hope Santa was generous and left many 1965 PSA-8's for youimage...jay
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Wow!

With every post, I see more and more dealers that slipped my mind when making my own list!!!! Just goes to show you what a great place eBay can be and how many more GREAT dealers there are versus the bums!!!!

Davalillo - great post - nice way to honor the folks that have helped us all with our obsession!!!!

And JEB! Thanks for the plug! (I'll get your check right out! )image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>My favorite dealer is Jay Wolt of QualityCards. He is fair, curteous, trustworthy, and has reasonable prices. Jay is one of the "good guys" in this hobby and I look forward to doing additional business with him in 2003.

John >>

I second the motion. Jay helped me start my 63 set, with both cards and advice.

My collecting activity will increase later in the year (got to find that job!), and I plan on making several more purchases with Jay.

Good to see the good ones praised.

Mark
  • Options

One dealer I haven't seen named yet is Paul Starks from Starxcards of Colorado. I've been a customer of his from the show circuit for several years.

Steve (Bauerfan) Peckovich ("doc") and Joe (Setbuilders) Tauriello ("norty") are top notch. Where do they get their cards??????

I've also been a heavy recent buyer from Nick (zukeepr) Migliaccio in NJ.

In keeping with spirit of the thread and the season, I'll pass on slamming the t-u-urds of the hobby.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Not really a dealer, but Zardoz and Gemmint have been true ambassadors with the 70 Kellog's cards. From sending out free cards to would be collectors, to trivia contests, to those damned annoying dancing things. Heck, they even got Dav to collect this set. At any rate, they deserve mention as being true benefits to our hobby.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    BillBob,

Where I did not list the company, it is usually associated with the person's name such as Kris Keppler Enterprises or Andy Madec Sportscards. Many guys just use their name.

Jay, I am sure you will remain in my top 10 in 2003--you may even move up(ha ha)

A couple of guys mentioned by others fell out of my top 10 simply due to price. There are a couple of these guys who I really have to swallow hard to buy from as they price their cards so high. While this is their right, I try to buy from others who are more "fair". I am sure others know which 2 dealers I am talking about here.

Also, I am not a big ebay buyer(although this may change) so my list of top 10 does not have an ebay slant to it. Recent purchases from guys like Will Hays, DSL, Discount Sportscard and others have been very positive.

Lastly, some of the guys mentioned here I would consider collectors--not dealers. I will have another top 10 list of the Top 10 Collectors in 2002(obviously who have helped me with my collection).

This is a great hobby and almost all dealers and collectors are first class people.

Happy Holidays to all,

Davalillo(Jim)
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I dealt with Paul from starxcards for the first time this year and he went out of his way to make certain I was very happy with the transaction. From Canada I would like to add Platinum Promotions (Len Pottie) for hockey.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to WIWAG... when it was a game... I haven't seen or heard from these folks for a while? I liked buying from them. Are they still around?
    -G
  • Options
    MICKEY C - Thank You, glad to have helped you get going on the '63's. As your cards increase and your $'s decrease, you may not be so thankfulimage

YDSOTTER - WIWAG is off from eBay, be it a probation or permanent. And w/ that said, its like falling off the face of the earth. No exposure! I'm not sure what they did, but I've had no problems w/ any of my dealings with them, and wish a quick recovery back to eBay. Afterall, more cards listed, give us more choices and usually better bid prices...jay
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd also nominate Gaspipe for supplying many low pop 1969's to myself and others building the set. There are several others which have already been mentioned in several posts. So far nobody has listed a dealer that I've ever had a problem with.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    My TWO favorite sellers this past year are the two guys who sent me FREE cards: Paul and Jay, thanks again.
  • Options
    My top ten for my '64 set for the last year would be:

1) Steve Pekovich
    2) Peter Lalos - Champs and Bums
    3) Natex Investments
    4) Levi Bleam - 707
    5) Kris Keppler - Keppler Enterprises
    6) Gaspipe
    7) BBC Exchange
    8) Shoeless Joe's
    9) WIWAG
    10) Kurtz Kards

There are so many others that I just picked up one or two cards from: like Jay @ qualitycards, Lloyds Baseball Cards, Andy Madec, Superior Sportscards, Bill O'Connor, A J Sportscards, Mile High Sportscards, DSL Sportscards, and many more I'm sure I've missed...
  • Options
    Great post Davalilo,

Some of my favorite dealers in no particular order:

Steve Peckovic--Super nice and fast service. Always willing to answer emails, and what an eye he has for raw cards to grade.

Andie Haley (Keith Abrams)- I hope he does well doing this full time now. If only he weren't a Mets fan!

John Blattner (Double Play Sportscards) As hones as they come.

Paul Starks (Starx cards)

Levi Bleam- A little pricey, but what an incredible selection, and he keeps his Web Site updated.

Marc at Vintage Sports Collections- One of the best collections of common cards at good prices.

Dan Schlatzeder (Zeder4 on Ebay) Is he still around?

Shoeless Joe

Bob Earhart- More a collector than dealer, but a great guy nonetheless.

Thanks to all of these, and some others whom I am sure I have left out.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    This is an interesting topic and I've seen some "interesting" names so far. Most of all that I've bought the last year has been on eBay, which is an auction format, so the seller's prices are not truly within their control. But regarding customer service and quality products, or dealing with them in person at shows, I'd have to go with these guys:

1. Bauerfan - Steve Peckovich
    2. Set Builders - Joe Tauriello
    3. Superior - Chris Porter
    4. Baseballcard Exchange - Steve Hart
    5. VSI
    6. Starks Cards
    7. Gaspipe26
    8. DSL
    9. Mintdr
    10. Natex
  • Options
    Marc Perna from VSI is a great guy to deal with either at shows or through his website.
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    others rarely or not mentioned in this post but extremely
    worthy of top ten lists include Lloydsbaseballcards,grays(ebay), theninthinning(Bob K),Bill Goodwin,Dan Markel,Rich Icaan and
    Randy Snively.
    my top ten this year
    Chris Porter@superiorsportscards.com
    Greg Schwartz(GRAYS)@botn.com
    Steve Pechovich(bauerfan)
    Levi Bleam and Jim @707sportscards.com
    Bill Goodwin...goodwinandco.com
    Peter Lalos@champsandbums.com
    Lloyd from lloydsbaseballcards.com
    Paul Starks (ebay and shows)
    Andy Madec...andymadecsportscards
    #10 is reserved for everyone that has helped
    me this year who knows they are on my top ten.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    My top ten:

-VSI
    -Kurtz Kards
    -Champs and Bums
    -Kris Keppler
    -Shoeless Joe's
    -Steve Hart
    -John Blattner
    -Steve Novella
    -Goodwin & Co.

In no particular order
  • Options
    My Top Ten:

1. Chris @ Superior Sportscards
    2. JP @ Memory Lane (now off doing mortgages)
    3. Dennis Skerbe
    4. Natex Investments
    5. Kurtz Kardz
    6. Bob Earhart (thanks for all the 72s)
    7. Goodwin
    8. Mile High Card Co.
    9. Andy Madec Sportscards
    10. PC32 from ebay

EOMINT