Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Congrats on Jim Hoffman on All 8 or Better 1964 Topps Set

With me providing card Card #2--A.L. ERA Leaders, Jim Hoffman now has every card in the 1968 set in 8 or better. Actually he has more 9s than 8s with a very impressive set rating of 8.56. Jim also has provided a large number of cards at attractive prices for my 1964 set.

As an aside, I am aggressively trying to head to completion of my priority sets and if you have any cards for sale that meet the criteria that I recently laid out on the Vintage Sportscard Board please e-mail me--all my vintage sets are listed on the registry.

Merry Christmas to all,

Davalillo

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jim!

Very impressive set indeed - and a very underappreciated one as well!!!! Super job!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Davalillo - Thanks for helping out with the final card. My '64 set has been a labor of love. It was the only year that the little grocery store in our tiny central California town carried Baseball Cards. It brings back a lot of memories. To start this set last Thanksgiving I had to sell off my '55 Topps PSA 8 set which was just a few cards shy of completion. I also had to sell the remainder of what were raw sets of 52 Topps and '54 Topps thru '59 Topps sets that I had completed over about a five year period. When I decided to go the "Graded Card" route, there was no turning back.

I would like to thank all of the people that have supplied cards to me during the building of the set. Some of them came from my own raw set, but I bought many from Steve Peckovich, Levi Bleam, Peter Lalos, Baseball Card Exchange, Natex Investments, Steve Novella, Kurtz Cards, Andy Madec, Paul Cohen, WIWAG, Lloyd's Baseball Cards, Quality Cards, Bill O'Connor, Shoeless Joes, and so many others that I can't name at the moment.

I will continue to try to upgrade my set for a while, and when that slows down, I will think about another set to trun my attention to.

I hope everyone has a wonderful remanider of the holiday season. May all the cards you are searching for, come available for less than you are hoping for.

Jim Hoffman (eBay ID = jhoffman)
  • Options
    Jim,

I just wanted to add that I had the opportunity to view your set this afternoon and it it is absolutely incredible. A wonderful work of art in your pursuit and assembly. I was not born until December of that year, but its nice to hear the passion that existed for the hobby even then. Congratulations.

Ron Sanders Jr.
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    congratulations Jim!.
    Happy New Year and all the best to you and yours,
    pc
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Jim,

Very impressive set. At least I know the PSA 10 Tommy Davis and PSA 9 Aaron Leader card I just lost out on went to a good cause.

Doug (Ebay: drivard)

Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    Doug - Thank you. But you did beat me on the Banks PSA 9. Maybe the other copy of Aaron leader card will come up soon. It was up a while back when it was a pop of 1, but the auction was pulled. I'm gonna have to start parting with some of the 9's I've upgraded to 10's next month. I also have a pile of 8's that have been upgraded to 9's. I promised myself no sales in December so that I could limit my Post Office visits.

Jim
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    Congrats on finishing up a very tough project. Here is a dealer that has some PSA 9's for sale. I don't know if you have done business with Peter Lalos, champsandbums.com, however he has a great inventory. Hopefully this will help you out some.

1954/leo
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Leo - Thank you. Yes, I am very familiar with Peter, and I check his site (and several others) at least weekly for new PSA 9's. I agree, he has a very stong inventory of 9's.... it would be even stronger if I had not been buying several dozen of his 9's over the past year. By the way... I've always loved the Wilson Franks set... One of the top ones on my "sometime in the future" list --- Jim
  • Options
    Jim,

I thought I got the Banks at a pretty good price. It's one of the tougher stars in the set. I was looking through your set. I have about 8-10 9's that you don't have. If you are upgrading to 10's and getting rid of some 9's I would be willing to trade you the one's you need. You can contact me at doug.rivard@tallan.com and we can work something out.

Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    Congratulations Jim, you are a class act............what is the next project???
    www.LloydWTaylor.com
    Vintage Baseball Cards
    Sales and Ebay Consignment Service
    email
    Lloyd_Taylor_Vintage_Cards -- on Ebay
  • Options
    Lloyd - Thank you. I have not decided on a "next project" yet. Gonna continue to upgrade this set for the next few months, then maybe start something new in the summer. - Jim
  • Options
    Congratulations Jim. I am in awe. It would be a real treat just to gaze upon the fruits of your labor.

If you happen to have any crumbs laying around (Jim Gilliam, Tommy Davis, Ken McMullen, or Dick Tracewski in 9s) this dog is begging.
    Bill Roberts
  • Options
    Bill - Thank you. I just traded all of my extra 9's (including Tommy Davis) and some 8's for some 9's I needed. If I upgrade any of the others on your list, I'll keep you in mind. - Jim
  • Options
    Thanks Jim
    Bill Roberts