Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Starting Sets

I'm getting sucked back into the baseball card hobby and noticed a lot of you build sets. I will probably start building with what I have ('77, '79, and just about all the 80's) but I was curious as to how you go about starting a NEW set? Do you:

- Buy/Trade for already graded cards
- Look for loose cards and/or sets/wax pack boxes
- Or both?

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better

Comments

• Options
    I use a combination of sources, but then it is so hard to find accurately graded "raw" cards anymore. I buy alot on EBAY but probably wind up returning 80% of the ungraded cards I buy because they are way overgraded.

Good Luck in your endeavors and welcome to to BEST card collecting board on the web!!

Billy
  • Options
    If you are looking at starting sets from the late 70's and early 80's, I'd start with ebay. I don't collect these years graded (yet - I have thousands raw), but I believe you could probably find them already graded for cheaper than you purchase a nice example of each raw card and then pay for the grading. Star cards may be the other way around though, if you have nice raw examples. I'm sure others here can verify that.

I collect 60's and early 70's right now, and I use a combination of ebay, grading myself, and buying/trading with others.

Hope that was some help

JEB.
  • Options
    Creeper,

What type of condition are you looking for? Are you a fan of graded cards? I have lots of 77-78 dupes in PSA 8 & 9 and raw if you're interested. There's a "rat-pack" of guys on here who specialize in 8 or better from 75-83. Frank Smith (75-83), Mike Castaldi (75,78,79), Matt Morse (78 & 81) and myself (77-83). All have special expertise in these particular years as we've handled a very large sampling. We hunt and peck TABLE BY TABLE for hours to find raw gems. We also try to secure vending from reputable sources and are always rack-happy. Ebay offers some selection, but the quality is rough at times. There are a select few volume dealers who have flooded the market with NM cards with MINT 9 cert #'s...tread lightly. For 1977 STAY AWAY FROM WAX! I've pulled as few as 5 (five) Mint cards from a complete box...brutal. The market is around 8-9 hundred bucks for a wax box as well. Totally insane.
  • Options
    Depending on year or condition I would buy a starter lot and then fill in or upgrade. You can get most 7's and depending on year, most common 8's for the price of grading.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Hey Frazier,

I would be interedted in your 1978 psa 8 dupes and any really nice raw cards you might have.

Billy
  • Options
    Billy,

Matt Morse here I've got around 25 8's if interested and I do have a few raw. I'll get with you
    tommorrow..

Matt