Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

WhoooHooo!! Found 10, Yes 10 1943 DDO Jeffs

Posted this on the coin forum as well. Tonight I found 10 MS 1943-P DDO Jeffs. The DDO's that are listed in the varieties set. 5 are FS and of these 2 are MS66FS with one possibly being a 67FS. I paid CDN bid for the roll!!

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice find, and a very nice profit to be had!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find! Congratulations! Can you tell me how strong is the doubling, are they 43/2's?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    They are the 43 DDO's not the 42/43's. Very strong doubling on the date, the eye and the "LIBERTY". I suspect, since the pops are so low on this variety that it was caught by the mint early on and all examples are going to be well struck, the mint probably pulled the die out of production as soon as it was caught.. These are all well struck and evry coin is either a FS or really close. The ones that are FS are 6 steps. The weird thing is the ones that are not FS are not from weakness from the bottom 2 steps but from what looks like die filling in the upper right hand corner. The coins I found to be more specific are the 1943-P Breen #2688, FS# 5c-029, (6-O-I) in early die state. They are pictured on page 310 of the cherry pickers. I found all 10 in the same roll. Incidentally most of the other coins in the roll are also DDO's of a variety not yet determined by me. Since the 2 listed are not the only DDO's for this date I will need to do some more research to figure out which other varieties I have.
  • Options
    Brian
    At first, an unbelieveable find and from one roll. So I apologize for the trick question but I wanted an answer on the double eyes. I'm not aware of any other DDO varieties for the 43-P other then the 43/2.

Will we see a PCGS follow up.

Again, congratulations!

Leo

• Options
    Leo,

I just purchased $7500 at CDN bid worth of original Lincoln, Jeff and Roosie rolls. i was going through the Jeff rolls first to find FS coins. Anyway I went through all the 1942, T1's T2's, S's and D'S having some great luck, especially with some very superb FS 42-S's. I was in a great mood and decided to hit the 43-P's next. I had 4 rolls. I open the first and look for mint errors before going through looking for FS coins. Any way, on the third roll and studying the cherrypickers guide a few more times to make sure I am not missing something I pull out the end roll coin loop the date and Wham! That has to be a DDO of some sort so I check the eye and wham. Its the DDO!!. So I run upstairs and show my wife. I was so stoked but the coins was a 63FS. I had to hurry because we were on on way to a party. So I started back into the roll. I found another so up the stairs I went again. This was was much better a 65 but just missed a FS, I showed my wife I was not insane and showed her the cherry pickers price on a 65; $475. Ok so now she is into it. Back down stairs I go. It was amazing it seemed like every other coin was one. By the time I went through an entire roll of 40 coins I had 10, a 1:4 ratio and 1 more roll to hit. I went through that last roll so carefully, forbid that I should mark up a coin by the off chance I made a mistake, but alas no more DDO's.

Happy Holidays,

Brian
  • Options
    Leo,

BTW I am going to own the War year registry Jeffs. You have little chance image I can 67FS the entire lot and since I have 100 FS 43-D's now I am hopeful to pull out a 68 FS. Watch out fo the "Clackamas collection"
  • Options
    Brian:

Great find! Welcome to the Jefferson series. I have purchased numerous rolls and have never even come close to your find.

Congratulations!

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    What a great holiday gift to get.
    Bill

My Other Hobby
  • Options
    Anyway I went through all the 1942, T1's T2's, S's and D'S having some great luck, especially with some very superb FS 42-S's.

Brian,
    Even tho I have these but I could use a higher grade FS 1942 T1 and a lustrous FS 1942-S.
    Leo

• Options
    Leo,

The 42 T1's were crap. The best coin is an MS65 and the best FS(3 total) maybe a 64FS. Thats it on the 42 T1's. Now on the 42-S I have 6 FS and was planning on sending them to PCGS tomorrow, along with some choice FS coins from other years. Sorry but the top coin goes into my set, but I do have 2 supreme 42-S's so we will see what they come back as. I suspect 66FS on both although they are both as nice as my 42-P 67FS, except the 42-P has a blue tone and the 42-S's are BLAST white.
  • Options
    What are you doing wasting all your luck on Jeffersons?? Didn't you know there was a $280 million Powerball drawing tonight??

Congrats anyway! image
  • Options
    SC,

Actually I never play the lottery but because my luck was really good I did play the loto this time. Did not win. Oh well, now I know why I don't play.