Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I finally finished my 1954 Wilson Weiner set.. thanks

I just wanted to share some happiness with all of my collecting friends. I finished my 1954 Wilson Weiners set today thanks to Murcerfan finding me the last piece of the puzzle, Johnny Groth. I am still looking for a couple of upgrades, but over all I am so pleased with the completed product. Thanks to those that helped me over the past two years in finding some of the hard ones.

Merry Christmas guys,

1954/Leo
Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Comments

• Options
    Leo - congratulations... !!!... That's a great set...
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Leo - if I do a set I think it will be that one. Any advice for someone thinking of going down the road you just traveled?
  • Options
    Leo Congrats on finnishing a very difficult set... Uniship I have some advice bring $'S and lots of them!image
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Leo - Great job, that is one tough set to complete. Gettiing your hands on that last card to finish a graded set must be a thrill. image

Merry Christmas to you as well and to everyone on the boards.

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    I currently have the best set so far (thanks to Mastro's set coming off the board) and I know there's better sets out there, just not posted on the site. Lemme tell ya, this set will drive you bonkers!

I've been buying Wilson's for over 20 years, and have YET to find a Jablonski. Superior had an 8, so that was out of my range, and I've missed a couple others by hours when I've seen it advertised.
    Other cards I bought, I've never seen again. Even though they supposedly came off a sheet with no double prints, some cards ( Jabby, Hack, Sauer, Groth, and Richards) seem to be tougher to find.

If you're even thinking about starting this set you should do it. I've collected lots of other sets, then traded or sold them, but not this one. It's just too cool! Don't set your sights too high. Buy anything that comes your way. Then upgrade.

Congratulations are in definate order upon completion of this monster! Hats off to you!!
    Scott R.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Ho,Ho,Ho!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Congrats on a truly dynamite and incredibly difficult set!!!

Any idea who snagged the bulk lot of Wilson Weiners from Mastro?
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

Congrats on the "weiner" set......

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Two of the toughies are on ebay right now!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"ve been stuck on the Jablonski for months too- I initially thought the Williams and Campy would be the toughest, but for some reason Jabbo and Groth have caused me the most trouble, Groth finally turning up earlier this month. I've seen uncut sheets of these and it would seem that they were all equally printed, but some (Erskine most often) seem much easier than others. Additionally, other cards seem harder to find in decent grade, decent being relative with this set. Does anybody know anything about the production of this set, and how the players were chosen?
    Congrats on finishing the set Shane, have you set your sights on another set, or just sitting back for now and savoring this one?
    Anthony

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Anthony, I will probably just concentrate on the 1934 Batter up set and continue to battle out with Terwilliger on upgrading my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set. Dave and I were discussing last night why is it that the Jablonski, Groth, Sauer, and Hack are so difficult? We pretty much know that there are no short prints from examples of the uncut sheets. The theory behind the difficulty finding these four is that they really were not that popular of a player compared to others in the set. Erskine, Campy, Williams, Feller, Schoendienst, Hodges, Slaughter, and White were all favored either by their stats or by the team they played for. There might have been a chance that you could see what card your were getting before you purchased the Weiner package. Maybe many of those unpopular/less collected players were destroyed after the purchase date had expired on the product? By far the easiest cards to find in the set are the Erskine and White. Both were heavily collected because Erskine was a Dodger and White was a Red Sox.
    For those of you thinking about starting a set of these. I would recommend that you buy these regardless of the grade. Note that you can not go off of SMR. First, they don't offer grades for PSA 1-4. Secondly, majority of those you find are going to fall in this area. If you wait around on a PSA 7, you may wait ALONG time. If you decide to make the set in all PSA 2 be prepared to spend $7500.

1954-Leo
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    FB-
    No idea who purchased this lot, however Murcerfan and I had the high bid at $19.000 for about 10 minutes. I thought the number on the large lot was $26,000 and I was right. We just did not want to go that high on it. If you bought this lot from Mastro, please contact Anthony, Scott, Terwilliger, or myself from the Set Registry.

Merry Christmas
  • Options
    HOT DOG!

Somebody had to say it.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd rehash this topic what with three 9s, including the Williams, selling in the Mastro auction.

PSA Mint 9 1954 Wilson Franks Ted Williams $109,638
    PSA Mint 9 1954 Wilson Franks Bob Feller $17,603
    PSA Mint 9 1954 Wilson Franks Gil Hodges $30,162

Did anyone guess that the Williams would go for six figures???
  • Options
    Take a look at the registry to see who bought it, and the rest of the set. Looks like there is a new Hot Dog King.
  • Options
    nortynorty Posts: 201
    Congratulations on finishing your set! That is one tough one to put together. I see very very few of them at shows and the ones I do see are generally hammered.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Congratulations on completing one of the toughest sets out there
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES